Anyone got a good Sangria or other wine drink recipe?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Going to a family/friends 4th of July party. Trying to figure out a light, refreshing drink for people who enjoy wine, but don't like to get drunk. The only sangria i've had was Oliver, in a bottle...it was kinda meh. I might still just bring bottled wine, like Moscato, but I'm looking for ideas. Although most won't be driving home, I'd like to keep it not too strong, but with a taste of alcohol to it.
    Thanks

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Here's my red wine sangria recipe:

1 bottle of red wine of your preference (I use merlot, but others like using a cab)
    1 small bottle of peach shnapps (to taste, you may want to use more)
    a shot or two of brandy (I use unflavored, but you may want to use a flavored brandy)
    1 lime
    1 lemon (optional)
    1 orange
    3 apples (fuji works well)
    1 can of sprite or other bubbly lemon lime soda
    handful of red hots or other cinnamon candy

In a pitcher, mix the liquors together. Core the apples, then cut the rest into slices and add to the pitcher. Cut the lemon, lime and orange in half. Cut one half of each into thin slices that you add to the pitcher. The very end of that half (the rounded part) and the entire other half gets used to squeeze the juice into the pitcher. The remainder is discarded. Add the handful of red hots to the pitcher and then place it in the fridge. You want to at the very least keep the sangria in the fridge overnight, to let the flavors mix. If you can, keep it in a day or two. The flavor gets stronger over time. When you're ready to serve, add about half of the can of sprite (or the whole thing if you wish) and stir. Only add ice to the glasses, not to the pitcher. I really like this mix and so have friends who have tried it. You will need to tweak and adjust it to your liking, but as long as you let it sit overnight, or a day or two in the fridge, the flavors will be very nice. Oh and the apples have soaked up a lot of alcohol and flavor sitting in the sangria and are really tasty, so don't forget to make sure every glass gets a slice or two for people to munch on as they drink :)

If you prefer white wine sangria, you can do similar with a white wine.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I should say, the recipe I posted will do about 4 - 6 wine glasses of Sangria. If you're taking for a large group, keep that in mind. You may need to triple or quadruple the recipe, after you test and make sure you like it.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've made my own for years, I think my favorite is made from Paw Paws. This one was my first year of grapes grown here on my land.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    I know you were looking for wine recipes so this is a little off topic, but my wife makes "bloomer dropper cocktails" for holiday gatherings. They're really good, but you need to be careful not to over consume. (My wife substitutes frozen strawberries for the peaches.) And don't try to drink them quickly, it'll give you brain freeze. :)

Servings 2-3

• 1 (15 ounce) can canned peaches or 2 -3 ripe peaches
    • 1 (6 fluid ounce) can frozen pink lemonade concentrate
    • 6 fluid ounces vodka
    • [SUP]1[/SUP]⁄[SUB]4[/SUB] teaspoon sugar
    • 1 cup ice, crushed

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I usually just drink good wine. No need to mix with anything.

Same here, but this crowd is more into the sweet wines, etc. I can handle moscato or reisling on a summer day, but i'm more of a dry red person. Getting off topic a bit, but i recently bought an aerator that really improves a lot of the red wines. Zazzol - The Zazzol Wine Aerator | Zazzol Multi Stage Wine Aeration Pretty sure i got it cheaper on amazon. I have another aerator, but this one is much better. Just thought I'd mention, since you seem to enjoy wine!

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Same here, but this crowd is more into the sweet wines, etc. I can handle moscato or reisling on a summer day, but i'm more of a dry red person. Getting off topic a bit, but i recently bought an aerator that really improves a lot of the red wines. Zazzol - The Zazzol Wine Aerator | Zazzol Multi Stage Wine Aeration Pretty sure i got it cheaper on amazon. I have another aerator, but this one is much better. Just thought I'd mention, since you seem to enjoy wine!

Moscato is awesome for anytime, but I occasionally like my Sangria as well. Goes great with BBQ :)

Top Bottom