Anyone familiar with Bergara factory rifles? The new B14 HMR has me interested.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Anyone familiar with Bergara factory rifles? The new B14 HMR has me interested.

I'd like to get into a very accurate 20" 308 that can use aisc mags, and so far I've tried a Rem 700 sps tac with magpul hunter stock and it was ok, but not great. I've been working with a Savage BA Stealth and so far it's been ok, but not great. I'd like to get something that's closer to 1/2" accuracy but will settle for 3/4".

Now, I know it's the internet and all that good stuff, but yes I'm capable of shooting in that window of accuracy. I've got a precision AR that'll shoot that accurately, and I've got an old heavy barreled precision 30-06 that'll shoot that accurately, but I'm tired of handloading all my 30-06 ammo and I'd really like to be able to buy some quality factory match ammo right over the counter so that's why I'm looking at a 308. I know there's other great calibers out there, but I'm happy with the 308.

With all that said, my internet searching has brought up bergara rifles and their HMR model that was released in 2017 has really caught my eye. I like the look of the setup and on paper the features and accuracy appear to be top notch. Since it's pretty new there aren't many reviews out there for this particular rifle, but I'm curious if anyone is using any of their other products and how happy you've been with it.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Got one of those a couple of weeks ago after waiting for them to become available. Put a Nikon 4x16x42 BDC on top with Weaver high rings. Their published info states using 700 style bases was a bit confusing but a trip to the local gun shop showed that #35 and #36 Weaver bases was the choice. Using home brew loads with Nosler 168gr. CC bullets first gave inch groups but the factory setting on the trigger was well over 8 lbs., so off came the stock, and finally got the adjustment to break loose [built in lawyer] and it's now down to 3 lbs. Did some measuring with my Hornady [Stoney Point] and have some rounds loaded up to be 0.010 off the lands which should make for smaller groups. Same load in a Remy 700 with the same model Nikon scope will give much smaller groups. Soon as it warms up a bit, a trip to the range will give me some more info. The Remy has a longer barrel so there will be a lot more experimenting to determine the MV to make the 20" barrel give up the correct load to work with that scope. Depending on whether or not you hand load, the FGMM factory ammo should give excellent groups. I use the Nosler CC bullets due to the fact that they can duplicate the accuracy of Sierra Match King at half the cost. Only gripe I have is the contour of the butt stock where the rear sand bag tends to "snag" the stock while shooting of a bench. Otherwise, it's a work in progress. It will take several trips to the range, but it's a barrel of fun working toward a 5 shot ragged hole at 100 yards.

Here you go, takes about a week to get one. https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=121112

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm glad to hear you're going to be putting one to the test. I definitely want to read about how it shoots especially with the fed gmm ammo. I judge every 308 by how well it'll shoot the 168gr matchking and part of my whole attraction to the 308 is the ability to buy a nice pile of 308 match ammo like I'd like to have without having to spend the days/weeks behind my reloading bench to make the amount I'd like happen. Please throw out a follow up after you've gotten it to the range.

What did you think of the smoothness on the action or how the stock fit up? Was the fore end pretty solid or did it have a lot of flex? Any chance I could talk you into putting some calipers on the end of the barrel? I'm just curious on that because I prefer a heavier barrel.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    The end of the barrel measures 0.750 at where the end cap bottoms out. Stock fits me OK, first rifle I've ever owned with an almost 90° pistol grip. Going to take a bit of getting used to as all others have the classic design. Smoothness of the action is good, should improve and become a bit slicker as time goes on, locks up nice and tight. Have no FGGM in my inventory as far as projectile or loaded ammo, so no reports will be forthcoming in that respect. Trigger is not in the Jewel catagory, may have to see if I can get a few more ounces off one of these days. Did get to shoot some rounds off that were 0.010 off the lands, no problem getting inch groups but were too long to feed up properly from magazine, so had to back off some. Now at 0.040 and groups getting better also. Trigger discipline is my biggest problem. Hope to work that out when the weather breaks a bit warmer and the rain quits. Bergara claims their barrels are the best, and it looks like they might be on to something. One 5 shot group at 350 yds gave 3 shots at a little over 1/2 inch with the other 2 of the the right and left a couple of inches. That goes back to the trigger discipline thing. Other groups bigger show the same problem. The only thing holding me back is "me", but love the challenge. Getting older isn't helping much, I celebrated my 39th birthday last week, for the 33rd time. If I can get groups that are looking good at 350 with Noslers, FGGM should easily meet or exceed what I can do.

Took me a year to get a Cooper 21 in .223 to group like I wanted, lot of work and time but it paid off. Cousin and I put 50 rounds into a 2.5" group one day at just short of 500 yds. Any groups at 100 yds. with it over 0.025 means I didn't get enough sleep the night before.

Almost forget, the stock is rock solid. Metal frame is molded into it. HTH

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The end of the barrel measures 0.750 at where the end cap bottoms out. Stock fits me OK, first rifle I've ever owned with an almost 90° pistol grip. Going to take a bit of getting used to as all others have the classic design. Smoothness of the action is good, should improve and become a bit slicker as time goes on, locks up nice and tight. Have no FGGM in my inventory as far as projectile or loaded ammo, so no reports will be forthcoming in that respect. Trigger is not in the Jewel catagory, may have to see if I can get a few more ounces off one of these days. Did get to shoot some rounds off that were 0.010 off the lands, no problem getting inch groups but were too long to feed up properly from magazine, so had to back off some. Now at 0.040 and groups getting better also. Trigger discipline is my biggest problem. Hope to work that out when the weather breaks a bit warmer and the rain quits. Bergara claims their barrels are the best, and it looks like they might be on to something. One 5 shot group at 350 yds gave 3 shots at a little over 1/2 inch with the other 2 of the the right and left a couple of inches. That goes back to the trigger discipline thing. Other groups bigger show the same problem. The only thing holding me back is "me", but love the challenge. Getting older isn't helping much, I celebrated my 39th birthday last week, for the 33rd time. If I can get groups that are looking good at 350 with Noslers, FGGM should easily meet or exceed what I can do.

Took me a year to get a Cooper 21 in .223 to group like I wanted, lot of work and time but it paid off. Cousin and I put 50 rounds into a 2.5" group one day at just short of 500 yds. Any groups at 100 yds. with it over 0.025 means I didn't get enough sleep the night before.

Almost forget, the stock is rock solid. Metal frame is molded into it. HTH

Excellent thanks!!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    There's a good thread going on this rifle on arfcom in the precision bolt guns section

I don't always check that forum, but you're right there were several range reports with the rifle. Several listings of where to buy the rifle for under $900 shipped & FFL'd. Good read, thanks!

Top Bottom