• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    I saw today in the Glock annual that they sell different sights to accommodate different types of ammunition. What the heck does that mean?

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Not much help here either...I'm having trouble understanding why you would want this on a glock (or 90% of all pistols for that matter)

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Different sights like...higher ones for suppressors maybe using subsonic ammo? That's a stretch....

I could see where you'd want different sights with blanks, or if you maybe have explosive rounds for IDF you'd want some sort of leaf sight. :)

Caldad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Bullet rise will differ due to several variables, just like when shooting a rifle. Most significant variables are Bullet weight and powder charge.

I have an LCR that was shooting extremely high with factory Federal ammo. The ammo was super hot even though it wasn't +p... even hurt my hand to shoot it. I started reloading 38spec , and found the perfect load that is consistently accurate, and hits where I'm aiming using the same sights configuration that hit high when using Federal ammo.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    Bullet rise will differ due to several variables, just like when shooting a rifle. Most significant variables are Bullet weight and powder charge.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only two variables to cause a bullet to rise is a powder charge significant enough to propel the bullet out of the barrel and the barrel being pointed at an upward angle.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Glock has 4 different heights of rear sight: 6.1mm, 6.5mm, 6.9mm and 7.3mm. The height is denoted by horizontal markings on the side of the sight body. Per the Glock Armorer's Manual, each incremental change moves the bullet impact approximately 2.4" at 25 yards for a Glock 17.

Certain heights are standard for certain models, but a different height may be fitted from the factory as a result of test-firing.

Caldad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only two variables to cause a bullet to rise is a powder charge significant enough to propel the bullet out of the barrel and the barrel being pointed at an upward angle.

:twocents: Other lessor variables: type of primer used, burn speed of the powder used, depth the bullet is seated (more than a 'lessor variable'), crimp... anything you can do differently when developing a load that will effect pressure. Of course the gun has to be angled upward, since the bullet is being effected by gravity from the minute it leaves the barrel... the entire reason for replaceable front sights of varied heights, since the rear sight is fixed. However, the more pressure (due to the several variables mentioned), the higher the speed the bullet travels, the faster it moves the less time gravity has to work on it prior to impact, which equals more/or longer distance of travel before the highest part of the trajectory (travel over zeroed point of aim/rise) is reached.

Simply a higher pressured load will make the bullet impact higher on the target than a lower pressured load (with the same point of aim), and there are multiple variables to pressure. Even the lessor variables, because there are so many will add up, and have a noticeable impact.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis

Another important variable with handguns is the shooter.
    No two shooters hold the gun exactly the same. There are variations in how much and in which specific direction(s) the gun moves when fired. With one strong, bulky shooter, the gun may hardly move at all; with a more lightly muscled shooter who holds the gun less firmly, the gun may move quite a bit.
    The important thing to remember is that recoil starts at the instant the gun is fired and moves the gun before the bullet leaves the muzzle.
    This is why no one else can truly sight in your gun for you. They might get it close, but there will always be differences.
    This effect is more pronounced with increasing recoil and decreasing gun weight.

Top Bottom