• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    After the ice storm yesterday and last night we are without power. Last we listened to trees breaking and falling in the woods all night. They would crack and crash about every 30 seconds. This morning I got up to no power and about 6" of snow on top of the 2+" of ice yesterday. So out comes the generator and we now have power. This is the drive down to the horse barn it is fairly clear after we pulled a few tops out of the way getting the generator back up to the house.
    100_0394.jpg

100_0393.jpg

The other drive has many many trees across it can't go 10" without a tree across it. I live 1500 feet off of the road in the woods. We got 1 tree on the new goat barn and some limbs on the chicken house. But none hit the house. Looks like we got lots of firewood for next year.

Lots of deer meat and goat meat in the freezer, canned goods on the shelfs, milk from the goats, eggs from the chickens.

More pics to come.

Anyone else trying out their survival plan? Hows it working?

Last edited:

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    After the ice storm yesterday and last night we are without power. Last we listened to trees breaking and falling in the woods all night. They would crack and crash about every 30 seconds. This morning I got up to no power and about 6" of snow on top of the 2+" of ice yesterday. So out comes the generator and we now have power. This is the drive down to the horse barn it is fairly clear after we pulled a few tops out of the way getting the generator back up to the house.

The other drive has many many trees across it can't go 10" without a tree across it. I live 1500 feet off of the road in the woods. We got 1 tree on the new goat barn and some limbs on the chicken house. But none hit the house. Looks like we got lots of firewood for next year.

Anyone else trying out their survival plan? Hows it working?

We got hit with the snow in lieu of the 2nd dose of freezing rain. It started out as freezing rain but turned to snow (thankfully) and we have power but at least a 12" accumulation with at least 2' drifts in places . We have more problems with power outages with the Spring and Summer storms. Photo looks nice but I wouldn't trade my snow for your ice.

Stay Safe

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    We got hit with the snow in lieu of the 2nd dose of freezing rain. It started out as freezing rain but turned to snow (thankfully) and we have power but at least a 12" accumulation with at least 2' drifts in places . We have more problems with power outages with the Spring and Summer storms. Photo looks nice but I wouldn't trade my snow for your ice.

Stay Safe

We are getting ready to go out and start shoveling. We have about 12" to 14" from the looks of it. They say be careful of what you wish for. Just yesterday I said I hope it snows ******* deep to a ten foot Indian, not quite but I still like it....:D

kadetklapp

shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    West-Central Indiana
    We were lucky and got 5" of just snow and no wind. My 99 Cherokee handled it with ease with 4x4 and 30" AT's. We lost power the other night for some unknown reason and had to break out our small generator.

wabash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    SouthWest Indiana
    power out here, running TV and computer off of generator.(Craftsman 750 watt).

standing outside last night and listening to the tree limbs break was surreal.

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    I left Louisville yesterday about noon and did not get back to Bluffton until 6:00. What is usually a 4 hour drive turned to 6 hours. We stopped counting the number of accidents we passed.

stormryder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Batesville IN
    I decided to take advantage of being off work today to practice my winter survival skills.
    Built a snow shelter and plan to stay out in it overnight using only my bugout kit.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I went into work after digging out my car a touch, and shoving a neighbor up the street.

May I say that my new boots rock!

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Goats? Chickens? Goat milk? Barns? Over a quarter mile off the road? You are living the dream. Why worry about SHTF plans? You have already lived in heaven.:) To answer your question --yes I am on our plan and sharpening our game BUT our goal is to get to the family property and do what you are already doing. CONGRATS

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I've got about 12-14 inches of snow on the ground with about an inch of ice on top of that at home.

I got the tractor out and put on the 7' blade. Cleared the barn yard, then the parking lot and in front of the garage, then I ran the blade up and down about 200 yards of drive way and across the bridge 3-4 times.

Took my daughter down to her job at the hotel and she's staying there tonight. About half their employees don't come to work any time rain is predicted to any one who'll stay there get's to cash in on over time and they get a room so they don't have to drive home.

Came home and took about a 4 mile hike through the forrestry up and down hills. Saw a car parked there in the morning and being the nosey busy body I am, I had to go trail them to see what any one would be doing out in the forrest with a foot of snow on the grounds and freezing rain falling.

Ha ha ha, 2 people cross country skiing with two dogs then latter some one on a 4 wheeler trailed them and I tracked them all. It was like a big paraged evidently, parade of people and dogs who never saw each other.

Don't know how I ever made it with out a bug out bag, AK or cook stove. Just Carharts, boots, compass watch with barometer and altimeter, GPS and a 9mm Glock in my pocket.

Driveway was snowed back in by tonight.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Well I got to drive to work at 2am that morning just as the plow drove by, got to the bottom of the hill where my wife had tl leave the car the night before and she followed me and the plow into Bloomington...When I was done at work, I had 6" of snow on my Cherokee, but the roads where mostly plowed.

I think it works best when you don't have to fight the weather, if you get a big snow, stay at home, do inside, winter chores, and relax. The times that I hate winter is when I should have stayed put, but I had to go somewhere and got stuck. As far as power, it's nice when you don't have to run the generator, you light the kerosene lamps, throw wood into the wood stove, and take it easy. Don't get me wrong, I have a generator too, I just think low tech works best. That being said, our power didn't go out.

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    Still running on the generator about 4 gallons a day and not conserving any. Fire it up in the morning and shut it off when we go to bed. We spent all day wed cutting the trees out of the road and moving them with the backhoe we can get to town now to restock on gas. I am just thankful I am not one of the sheeple showing up at the many shelters with out a clue! Haven't been doing much cleanup do to the still falling limbs and trees. Here are some more pics. The top of the drive to the road.
    100_0404.jpg

The bottom of the drive with the kids fort on the left.
    100_0399.jpg

The goat barn and trees leaning on the roof.

100_0395.jpg

Last edited:

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Great Pictures. I am from Boonville originally. Class of 1967. I hope you are not a Castle Knight Fan. Oh my what a pitty. Just teasing my fellow Warrick County Friend. I have many friends still in the County. My family are farmers in ther Northern part of the County, northl of Lynnville and over by Dale.

My Father used to be the only State Farm Insurance Agent in the County for some many years.

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    Great Pictures. I am from Boonville originally. Class of 1967. I hope you are not a Castle Knight Fan. Oh my what a pitty. Just teasing my fellow Warrick County Friend. I have many friends still in the County. My family are farmers in ther Northern part of the County, northl of Lynnville and over by Dale.

My Father used to be the only State Farm Insurance Agent in the County for some many years.

No I am not a Knight fan. I live in the northern part of the county as well north of Tennyson, west of Gentryville, south of Heilman, and east of Folsomville. Being from the county you should be able to just about drive to my house.;) My wife has lived here all her life and I am orginally from IL. we have been here ever sice I got out of the Army 16 years ago. Nice country, nice people pretty much god country.

Top Bottom