Anyone else having trouble with comcast TV?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Within the last few weeks I've noticed some pixelating or tiling of the video along with breaks in the audio. A quick internet search revealed this to be a relatively common issue in a lot of areas. The problem comes and goes and sometimes its much worse than others. I also found several references to using a signal booster and apparently many have gotten good results. There was also some discussion about comcast using too much compression on their signal to maximize their infrastructure. That kind of stuff is beyond me but I can easily buy and install a signal booster if that will help the problem.

I know I should be able to just call comcast and have them fix it. However, they are not known for their customer service. If I can just install a booster and be done, it would be worth it to me.

I'm on the South East side of Indy. Anybody around here noticing this issue or know anything about it? I'm using comcast for my internet as well and it seems fine. I'm not interested in satellite service and I don't have many other choices otherwise.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I had horrible issues with Comcast and, like you, am not interested in satellite. I had the exact same problem you are describing for months. Comcast refused to help me with it and I never did find out what was causing it. Fortunately I had the option to switch to Brighthouse. I have never regretted it. I hope you figure out what the problem is. We never did and Comcast kept telling us it was something on our end and they didn't know what it was. When they would come out to "look" at it they would charge us a ridiculous amount of money.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I have 2 boosters. One on the pole leading to the house and one in the house. I have not had many problems like you describe, but I did have an outage this morning for both tv and internet.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I have 2 boosters. One on the pole leading to the house and one in the house. I have not had many problems like you describe, but I did have an outage this morning for both tv and internet.

So did you get the boosters because of an issue or were they installed from the beginning?

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Installed from the beginning. They said since my house sits about 350 feet and they had to run about 400 feet just to get the cable to the house they would put a booster on the pole.

After the line was brought inside the house they put a second booster in before the first tv jack / split for the internet.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Im haveing trouble paying for it!

Jimmy

go to their website, look under billing for the option to do an online chat with their billing reps, give them the info they ask for and ask if there is anyway they can lower the bill.

I have done this twice, and has worked both times. I read online somewhere that this is a 3rd party company and they are more likely to give discounts then comcast themselves.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    Comcast is just junk i have to have it or no tv, i called them this morning about their prices going up january 1 and got some pakistan or indian lady who had to varify my account 5 ways and then she attempted to answere my question then for 10 minutes told me about internet and phone service, ugh it was horrible

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    The cable to my house is underground. It was replaced once so I know where it is. I'm guessing the distance it runs from the "box" they have in my cul-de-sac is at least 200 feet.

Those boosters require power, right? If I install one I'm going to want to put it where the cable comes in the house so it will boost everything. I don't want to have to get one for every TV. Getting power to that location might be a bit of a hassle but I'm sure I can come up with something.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    The cable to my house is underground. It was replaced once so I know where it is. I'm guessing the distance it runs from the "box" they have in my cul-de-sac is at least 200 feet.

Those boosters require power, right? If I install one I'm going to want to put it where the cable comes in the house so it will boost everything. I don't want to have to get one for every TV. Getting power to that location might be a bit of a hassle but I'm sure I can come up with something.

I'm not sure how the one on the pole works, but I would guess it has power.
    The one inside the house does. But it resembles a splitter with a power cord. All the other cable feeds run into it.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I do this for a living... Not for and never for Comcast.

9 times out of 10 they will come out and put a booster in.... Chances are they have a bunch of splitters in the house and one went bad.... Or a coax line was junk when they installed it and now it is acting up...

I have seen one coax line with FOUR splitters on it from them.

Call them out... You will spend a lot of time scratching your head if you don't.

Also check the coax lines that go to the wall and make sure one is not near broken or has a bent fitting... That is often what causes sudden pixilation when it worked fine before.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    My Mom has had those issues with her cable. We tried to watch a movie Sunday on PPV, and it was unwatchable. I dumped Comcast a while back. There internet has been great, but their customer service is horrid.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I'm not sure how the one on the pole works, but I would guess it has power.
    The one inside the house does. But it resembles a splitter with a power cord. All the other cable feeds run into it.

You still use the splitter in the house, you connected the booster to it...

Pole or burried is all the same, I have never seen a Comcast booster on a pole, just inside.

Solitaire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Indy
    I used to have frequent service outages with my Comcast internet and freezing/pixelation with my TV. I finally got the issues resolved. It was a problem with my provider's business model. (Poor service AND poor customer service) After I changed my provider, the issues stopped.

So far so good with AT&T U-verse! :yesway:

I feel bad for anyone who has Comcast as their only option.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    You still use the splitter in the house, you connected the booster to it...

Pole or burried is all the same, I have never seen a Comcast booster on a pole, just inside.

The booster to me looks like a splitter, all the different rooms tie into the booster.

On the pole, I wasn't out there to watch only heard what the guy told me. He said booster, not sure if he was just using general terms for something else or not.

They also ran a thicker insulated wire from the pole to the house.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I do this for a living... Not for and never for Comcast.

9 times out of 10 they will come out and put a booster in.... Chances are they have a bunch of splitters in the house and one went bad.... Or a coax line was junk when they installed it and now it is acting up...

I have seen one coax line with FOUR splitters on it from them.

Call them out... You will spend a lot of time scratching your head if you don't.

Also check the coax lines that go to the wall and make sure one is not near broken or has a bent fitting... That is often what causes sudden pixilation when it worked fine before.

The issue is present on every TV in the house. I took a TV and a cable box out to the garage and hooked it up to the main cable coming to the house. No splitters or fittings of any kind other than the one attached to the cable. The issue was still present. Whatever the problem is, its not in my house.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    The issues you are describing are a result of poor signal strength and bandwidth saturation. A Booster addresses the first one, more switching at the neighborhood level addresses the second one. If you need the 2nd one, I am sorry, that one is much tougher to get ~ unless there is a new housing edition going in across the street from you. Only then will the trucks roll with new equipment to install in those green boxes.

I must be the luckiest Comcast customer ever! I've been with them since the early 1990s. I can still count the number of times I've been down, that I can remember, on one hand - in any weather condition. On an annual or sometimes semi-annual basis, I call them and say that my budget has taken a hit and they've got to go. I hang up paying about 20% less per month than when I made the call. Despite their poor customer service and high rates, their technology (when properly applied) is still superior to dish and dsl. LOVE the HD pictures I get on my LED TVs.

My :twocents:

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    The issues you are describing are a result of poor signal strength and bandwidth saturation. A Booster addresses the first one, more switching at the neighborhood level addresses the second one. If you need the 2nd one, I am sorry, that one is much tougher to get ~ unless there is a new housing edition going in across the street from you. Only then will the trucks roll with new equipment to install in those green boxes.

I must be the luckiest Comcast customer ever! I've been with them since the early 1990s. I can still count the number of times I've been down, that I can remember, on one hand - in any weather condition. On an annual or sometimes semi-annual basis, I call them and say that my budget has taken a hit and they've got to go. I hang up paying about 20% less per month than when I made the call. Despite their poor customer service and high rates, their technology (when properly applied) is still superior to dish and dsl. LOVE the HD pictures I get on my LED TVs.

My :twocents:

For a while after I moved to this house, I had some issues with my internet service. Of course, that was long before the digital changeover. I had to make a nuisance of myself to get it corrected but they finally fixed it. They said it was something in some box a few blocks away. Since then I've been very satisfied with the reliability of the service except for the last few weeks.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    They said it was something in some box a few blocks away. Since then I've been very satisfied with the reliability of the service except for the last few weeks.

There must be many of those boxes in my neighborhood. Last year my next door neighbor and a few others suffered an outage and they gave him the same story. My service? No problem, working just fine. So I must be on a different box than him.

Happens more when it's wet out.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    oldfish15
    Top Bottom