• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zallen1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    I don't know why I thought of this, this morning, but I did none the less, so here is the story.....

I have an Aunt who is has a PHD in Political Science and Political Theory and is a professor of both at a university that I will not name. She and her "partner" come in town a couple times a year to visit. A few visits back, I met them at my Grandma's house for lunch. I walk in the house and they are all in the living room, so I walk over and give my aunt a hug, and then hug her "partner", "my other aunt". While giving my other aunt a hug, she slides her left hand down to my hip and grads the butt of my GLock 23, which is concealed in an IWB holster. Immediately I saw the look of shock on her face, and I thought " oh S**T, here we go". She says "what is that ?", I say (jokingly)"it's my pager!". She says "that's a gun isn't it" and I say (trying to play it off and avoid the big argument that will inevitably ensue) "nope its my pager, I'm on call". Now anyone who knows me knows that I dont have a pager and I'm a Petroleum Landman, so I am not on call for anything, but what came out of her mouth next was priceless and as condescending as possible, "Doctors dont carry guns and you didnt go to college". That is were I ended the conversation and immediately changed the subject and began to speak to my Grandma.
    Now this is not the first time I have had a conversation with her regarding the subject of firearms, but it is the first revelation to her that I carry one. Since this incident, every time I see them i get the same smart A** comment and usually within the first minute or two of meeting, " did you bring your 45 along".
    Anyone else have to deal with these kind of family members? If so, how do you handle the situation?

JJGatesE30

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    My wifes family is anti-gun, but I doubt they have any idea we carry. I would like to keep it that way just to avoid a lot of BS conversation.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Both sides aren't Anti as far as I know. My side is pro-gun, have lots of them and hunt. My wife knows I carry and I hunt with her dad. Bro-in-law has at least one pistol. Not sure about sis-in-law...but don't discuss with them.

I keep my circle of trust small.

Circle-of-Trust1.jpg

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Fairly typical anti-gun rhetoric.

I'd just tell your aunt and her "partner" that you would appreciate if they laid off the insults (the comments on your education vs. theirs). You don't judge them for their choices, and they should extend the same courtesy. If they still don't get it, then just move on.

Besides, we all know PHD is short for "Piled Higher and Deeper"!

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    I've got a lot of Anti-gun in my family. When they start spouting crap because I'm carrying I simply remind them that a firearms has saved my life several times and they didn't seem to have a problem with me carrying with in was in Afghanistan. When they try to remind me we're not in Afghanistan I simply remind them "Thanks to me and my rifle we're not".

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Next time tell here that Doctors do INDEED carry guns. I know several at the university here that carry......and I know a ton of ER nurses that carry (daughter works there).

And my family doctor has his LTCH. He also rides motorcycles.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I've got a lot of Anti-gun in my family. When they start spouting crap because I'm carrying I simply remind them that a firearms has saved my life several times and they didn't seem to have a problem with me carrying with in was in Afghanistan. When they try to remind me we're not in Afghanistan I simply remind them "Thanks to me and my rifle we're not".

Thank you for your service.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Maybe the "doctors don't carry and you didn't go to college" was a reference to her perception that "only doctors carry pagers" and "since you have to go to lots of college to be a doctor, I know that you did not go to college so I know you're not a doctor, therefore that's not a pager".

I think you need to get your aunts to go shooting with you. Be really sincere and nice to them about it and take care not to be condescending or combative in your invitation. Bring a .22 and beg, plead, promise, whatever it takes to get them to go shooting with you. Shoot bull's eye targets, (not torso) and be super patient and safe, explaining terms and procedures as you go.

Convert them. There are few things I enjoy more than turning someone from being anti-gun to being pro-gun. I have done it multiple times and am working currently on several more. It takes time and usually must be done incrementally, but it always starts with getting them out to shoot ONE time.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    It sounds to me like the "othe aunt" has a chip on her shoulder about her education and is a condescending snob.
    Tell her that we all make life choices and should not judge others for the choices they make.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Sounds like a class-A.....not-very-nice person to me.

I'm glad that I don't have to deal with that. The most I get out of any of my family is "Why are you carrying that?" "Cops are too heavy." "Haha. Nice," maybe with a little shake of their head.

I'd say remind her that its your right, (and possibly your duty, depending on your viewpoint,) to be able to defend yourself and those around you. Cops are hardly ever hanging onto your hip; but your gun almost always is.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    It sounds to me like the "othe aunt" has a chip on her shoulder about her education and is a condescending snob.
    Tell her that we all make life choices and should not judge others for the choices they make.

Yeah this is what I'm getting here too.
    People like that would never be converted or even listen to a rational argument, lest they be proven wrong. I'd try and talk with them about insulting you in front of the family and try and work out a "truce at family functions" kind of thing.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    If she always asks you if you're carrying when you come around maybe she is genuinely curious despite talking bad about it. Or am I missing her tone in your relaying of the message? Maybe she feels safer when you're around because she trusts you more than some stranger carrying a gun. Or maybe thats just the optimist in me. :dunno:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I guess I like to stir the pot, but seeing how she's spoutin' off....I'd have fun with it. Give it back as good as she dishes it out. When they finally resort to name calling (all liberals will at some point, they can't help it), you'll know you won the battle, at least.:):

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I guess I like to stir the pot, but seeing how she's spoutin' off....I'd have fun with it. Give it back as good as she dishes it out. When they finally resort to name calling (all liberals will at some point, they can't help it), you'll know you won the battle, at least.:):
    I would probably give it back two if they always start something when I come around.

I have anti's in my family but, I just try to avoid the conversion at all costs. My wife doesn't like them but she is ok with it. Her biggest complaint is the smell when I clean them in the kitchen. So I met in the middle and now clean them in the garage.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I like the 'get them shooting' idea. You may have to prepare the field a little bit, though. Look for opportunities to bring up whatever the latest violent victim crime is, as long as it allows you to say something to the effect of, "I wonder what would've happened if the victim had been armed...." - BUT don't actually say that, yet. Just make sure that the example fits.

Then, at some point, maybe ask if your aunt/partner has ever felt threatened by someone who had a problem with their.... education, or affluence, or lifestyle choices. I'm sure they will be able to identify with the victim in some way.

Then, obviously say you hope nothing like that would ever happen to them, of course. But, what would they do?

For the first conversation (or even second) along these lines, don't do the invite. If it does come up, say something about how it is good stress relief, or how you reach a zen-like state as part of the aiming process, or how the hand-eye coordination is really hard... err difficult.

Then, at some point, so it doesn't seem like a setup, say, "Hey, I was thinking, maybe you'd want to go with me to the range next time I go?"

IMHO, you've gotta kinda get people leaning the right direction first.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    Kind of funny how our their freedom to have unintelligent ideas and tell people about them is protected by gun owners. I have some libs in my family that are anti-gun, and really don't understand that if they take our guns away that they will also take everything else including free speech.

Top Bottom