• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    If you google "Tortort AK" you'll find they offer 80% milled receivers. It look like all you have to do is drill FCG holes, Make a hole for the trigger on the bottom, and not a whole lot else. Yes, stamped are cheaper... But I'd love to have a milled yugo in the collection, so these have my attention. Is there anything I'm missing that would be a PITA to get finished? Any tips for lining up FCG holes?
    I keep ending up on their site staring at them, so I thought I'd ask about them. :popcorn:

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I have a milled Polish and it's a great AK-47 Type 3. I don't know anything about Tortort but milling those holes will require a good machine. I would find someone with a finished receiver and make a paper tracing of that receiver to use as a pattern.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I wouldn't call it a good machine, but I have a drill press. Tortort has measurements on their site, and I have a milled MAK90 I could use as reference as well. Do you think that would be good enough to make good marks?

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I wouldn't call it a good machine, but I have a drill press. Tortort has measurements on their site, and I have a milled MAK90 I could use as reference as well. Do you think that would be good enough to make good marks?

If you are building a Chinese rifle, your MAK90 would be fine. If you are trying to build something else (Russian/Yugo), I would find that receiver. I've had the problem where a Romanian kit fit and the Maadi did not fit an AKM receiver. I don't trust different countries to be exact. Clay might have more first-hand knowledge between the milled rifles. I only own the single Polish.

winchester

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited:

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Always love a good reweld They look good Winchester....... I have always know Tortort to make great stuff.... ive justed a few of there front trunnions for a few Chinese builds and always found the quality of part to be quite amazing... I myself if i where going to build another milled gun would pick one of these up. FCG hole placement allows for more error than you would think but we should always strive for perfection..... I would take the time to use layout dye and plot the holes or use a digital readout on a mill myself... if you go this route remember the bolt stem is the final determiner on where the axis holes will be located you want the bolt to strike the firing pin as close to 90 degrees as possible (but with that said you would be surprised what you can get away with) keep in mine i still have that polish blank drill jig which could be easily modified for use with a milled reciever

Top Bottom