Anybody doing any custom home automation?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    I have Philips Hue bulbs throughout, a Wemo dimmer for the porch, Ring alarm and camera, and MyQ for the garage.

I have the lights in the garage set to flash throught IFTTT whenever I open the garage, because I forget to disarm the alarm.

+1 for MyQ. It's what StayTrue76 was suggesting, but already done. (You could duplicate it w/ Raspberry Pi, but it'll cost more and be a lot more work.) MyQ is not very expensive, and works well. I currently have 3, and will soon have 6 devices using it.

I have been using Zwave for almost 20 years now. I started with MiCasaVerde over a decade ago, but they were acquired and destroyed, so I now use Hubitat. The nice thing about Zwave and Zigbee devices is that they are not married to a particular controller, so I just moved them over, and if I grow tired of Hubitat, I can move to another controller. Hubitat integrates with MyQ, Ecobee, Google Home, and Alexa. It is not internet-dependent for it to work (although Google Home and stuff will not work), but all the local Zwave and Zigbee switches, sensors, etc, will continue to operate as needed without Internet.

I use it for opening/closing the garage door, turning on/off lights on a schedule and door open, pool pump, thermostat, UV furnace controls, leak detection, etc.
    Interested in the Pool Pump! What devices did you have to purchase to integrate it? Or does your PoolPump already come with a bluetooth or wi-fi enabled controller?

StayTrue76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2023
    NW Indiana
    +1 for MyQ. It's what StayTrue76 was suggesting, but already done. (You could duplicate it w/ Raspberry Pi, but it'll cost more and be a lot more work.) MyQ is not very expensive, and works well. I currently have 3, and will soon have 6 devices using it.

Interested in the Pool Pump! What devices did you have to purchase to integrate it? Or does your PoolPump already come with a bluetooth or wi-fi enabled controller?
    I totally agree on the MyQ, purpose built solution as opposed to building from scratch. The old build vs buy. But if I can buy something that's cheaper, it's a no brainer in my opinion to go with the cheaper solution with more feature and less of my time.

qwerty

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    My pool pump is small, 110V, so it is just a simple Zwave plug from Home Depot: https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Enbr...ug-In-Outdoor-Switch-in-Black-14298/311913747

They do make Zwave devices for larger power or multi-pole devices: LINK

I would probably cheap out and just use a 24V relay contactor with one of these: LINK

But you have some flexibility.

Top Bottom