Any Welders Near Central/South Central Indiana?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm looking to see if someone would be willing to weld a small bead on a cast iron steering knuckle to fill a divot. I would grind it down smooth after. I just need someone who is willing to heat up the part, put a bead on. I'll help if there is such a thing. You can see the divot in the pic, lower right and left portion where the brake pads ride. I'm coming to Evansville this weekend so I could bring them with me if someone down there would do it on Saturday or Sunday morning. Thanks. Knuckle.jpg

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I don't have a stick welder, but I'm pretty sure I still have some nickel left over from a welding project involving cast iron. If you want, I can check tonight when I get home. You're welcome to get a few sticks at no cost.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I don't have a stick welder, but I'm pretty sure I still have some nickel left over from a welding project involving cast iron. If you want, I can check tonight when I get home. You're welcome to get a few sticks at no cost.
    Thanks. I was slightly incorrect when I said cast "iron". It's actually cast "steel". I don't have a welder though.

Another guy said that MIG welding is really all you need for this repair.:dunno:

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I'm looking to see if someone would be willing to weld a small bead on a cast iron steering knuckle to fill a divot. I would grind it down smooth after. I just need someone who is willing to heat up the part, put a bead on. I'll help if there is such a thing. You can see the divot in the pic, lower right and left portion where the brake pads ride. I'm coming to Evansville this weekend so I could bring them with me if someone down there would do it on Saturday or Sunday morning. Thanks. View attachment 197698
    You could weld it, but I'd recommend you simply replace it.

Although the repair you suggest is somewhat cosmetic, you run the risk of compromising the steering knuckle integrity by heating/welding. You could also induce a brake failure of some sort, as that's where the pads ride.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Thanks. I was slightly incorrect when I said cast "iron". It's actually cast "steel". I don't have a welder though.

Another guy said that MIG welding is really all you need for this repair.:dunno:
    If it's low carbon cast steel you can mig it, or use 7018 stick. At work if we had a hard time telling the carbon content we used tig with 312 stainless. Preheat and make sure it cools down real slow.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    that's where the pads ride.
    Yup. That is why the weld. The pad ear will get stuck in the groove and not move properly.

It's interesting the responses I get. The Jeep guys weld them all the time since it's a common wear point.

And welders are afraid to touch it.

I like to do things "right" but I'm not so crazy about buying aftermarket knuckles. I'm not sure they would be as good as an OEM knuckle that had a couple small beads welded on and ground smooth.

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Yup. That is why the weld. The pad ear will get stuck in the groove and not move properly.

It's interesting the responses I get. The Jeep guys weld them all the time since it's a common wear point.

And welders are afraid to touch it.

I like to do things "right" but I'm not so crazy about buying aftermarket knuckles. I'm not sure they would be as good as an OEM knuckle that had a couple small beads welded on and ground smooth.
    I completely understand. I'm a hobbyist welder...if they were mine, I'd weld them (probably MIG after heating and cooling slowly). I'd never consider welding them for anybody else, due to liability.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I completely understand. I'm a hobbyist welder...if they were mine, I'd weld them (probably MIG after heating and cooling slowly). I'd never consider welding them for anybody else, due to liability.
    That's exactly where I'm at. I'd have no issue if it were mine. I shaved two inches off the bottom of my axle, welded it up, and drove it all the time without a second thought. It's just the "somebody else's" that worries me.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    That's exactly where I'm at. I'd have no issue if it were mine. I shaved two inches off the bottom of my axle, welded it up, and drove it all the time without a second thought. It's just the "somebody else's" that worries me.
    Like shooting someone else's reloads, lol. I get it.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Seriously though @gregkl if you are going to be in the far north for any reason hit me up.

I always thought you could have it milled and a piece of stainless flat stock mounted to bring it back to correct thickness, but I'm sure that would be cost prohibited. Maybe not though as I know the knuckles for these were crazy expensive not to long ago. Then you would have a replaceable wear item

Top Bottom