• ...and so much more!
  • Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Wanted to ask if anyone knew of easy ways to removing plastic usgi 1911a1 grips from the frame without risk to damage or cracking? They are fit on pretty snug on the left side.

The first set of ww2 keyes grips i had were without the rings around the screw holes and the left panel cracked in half when removed from the frame after becoming stuck. I would like to prevent that with second set i have that does have the reinforcement rings around the screw holes. Thanks

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Im not sure. The first set without the rings were tighter fit than the second set with the reinforcment rings that only feel slightly snug. Non usgi grips made of wood came off fine with no effort as does any grip panel from the right side of the frame.

As for removing the bushings....I dont really wanna try it as the gun is an original Remington Rand.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    The wood grips have already been removed long ago. Are you speaking of the bushings or the wood grips swelling? Thanks

Lpherr

Occupied
    You mention reinforcement rings, and bushings. Are you speaking of o-rings?
    If it has o-rings, use a razor blade tip and split the o-ring and pull it out.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    You mention reinforcement rings, and bushings. Are you speaking of o-rings?
    If it has o-rings, use a razor blade tip and split the o-ring and pull it out.
    The reinforcement rings are around the screw holes of the grips themselves. Here is a pic of a set with the rings. Note the screw holes. Early grips have no rings around the holes and are reported to be more fragile which I believe after mine snapped. LZAnzGKh.jpg

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    The wood grips have already been removed long ago. Are you speaking of the bushings or the wood grips swelling? Thanks

Um, the wood. If they are old they have likely absorbed moisture over time and swollen, constricting the bushing. Crud and sweat create a nice bonding agent around the grips' edges as well.

Is everything OEM? My other thought was oversized bushings.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Um, the wood. If they are old they have likely absorbed moisture over time and swollen, constricting the bushing. Crud and sweat create a nice bonding agent around the grips' edges as well.

Is everything OEM? My other thought was oversized bushings.
    Yes the pistol is oem from ww2. The wood grips were the only aftermarket piece that I swapped out for original keyes grips.

There is crud on the frame from where the wood grips were that I have had a hard time removing.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Yes the pistol is oem from ww2. The wood grips were the only aftermarket piece that I swapped out for original keyes grips.

There is crud on the frame from where the wood grips were that I have had a hard time removing.

May be a layer of filth. Try a good cleansing and see where that gets you. Hard to say without the bird in the hand. Grips can be finicky. Especially if old or hand fit. A rat file may be your option if you are so attached to a certain pair.

Good luck!

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    May be a layer of filth. Try a good cleansing and see where that gets you. Hard to say without the bird in the hand. Grips can be finicky. Especially if old or hand fit. A rat file may be your option if you are so attached to a certain pair.

Good luck!
    Yeah I'm not gonna take a file to it. Lol Worth to much $. The only reason I take the grips off is for cleaning the magwell and frame area while checking for rust or corrosion.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I certainly meant a file to the grips, not the frame. Bore out the hole a bit. Grips are just grips.
    True but the grips have me feeling sentimental due to the cost. I especially like them for being original ww2 like the pistol and both panels match with the same number on the inside with a five pointed star. I dunno it's neat.

Last edited:

Lpherr

Occupied
    True but the grips have me feeling sentimental due to the cost. I especially like them for being original ww2 like the pistol and both matched with the same number on the inside with a five pointed star. I dunno it's neat.
    Maybe try a drop or two of 3 in 1 around the bushing. Maybe it'll free it up.

Top Bottom