• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I recently picked up a couple surplus packs from the group buy here on INGO. My packs are in great shape but the Assault Pack is a little dirty and musty smelling. Any good tips on how to clean them properly? Thanks in advance for any help. :yesway:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Take them to the carwash and use a pressure washer on them. You can use detergents in the pressure wash and then rinse with the pressure wash.

Alternately, soak in the bathtub with a nylon-safe bleach solution, then rinse very well.

While you CAN wash in a front-loading washer, every time you do so you take some of the fabric life.

I speak as a manufacturer of such equipment.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Take them to the carwash and use a pressure washer on them. You can use detergents in the pressure wash and then rinse with the pressure wash.

Alternately, soak in the bathtub with a nylon-safe bleach solution, then rinse very well.

While you CAN wash in a front-loading washer, every time you do so you take some of the fabric life.

I speak as a manufacturer of such equipment.

I would have never thought of the car wash. I guess you can hang them on the things for the floor mats. Good idea, Thanks!

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I tried to scan a multi page "product insert" that came in one of the bags. It scanned poorly to say the least. For what it is worth, here is the page with the instructions from the manufacturer of the actual ILBE packs.

ilbe002_zps464f5abb.jpg

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I would have never thought of the car wash. I guess you can hang them on the things for the floor mats. Good idea, Thanks!
    Hang it on the hitch ball of your truck or toss it in a large Rubbermaid bin. If you own a typical boat brush on an Adjustable pole it is nice for scrubbing between soap and rinse.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Lots of good ideas here. Thanks guys.... :yesway:

Edit; SmileDoc after blowing up the instructions posted I was able to read it pretty well. I think I'll be able to clean the packs up nicely now. Thanks....

Last edited:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    The instructions I read said no washing machine so I'd think the dishwasher would be just as bad if not worse. I'm going to try the bathtub method with some Dawn to see how that turns out. When it warms up outside I'll try the car wash method. Thanks for the tips. :yesway:

MarlinMan68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Indiana-Michigan State Line
    The instructions I read said no washing machine so I'd think the dishwasher would be just as bad if not worse. I'm going to try the bathtub method with some Dawn to see how that turns out. When it warms up outside I'll try the car wash method. Thanks for the tips. :yesway:
    If you are not happy with the results from dawn buy some 3m fabric protector and saturate the bag and let it soak for a while.It will soak into the fibers and lift all dirt and grime out when you wash it in the tub again and then retreat the pack so it will be easier should you need to wash it again.

Top Bottom