• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    I am getting ready to install a battery back up sump pump system in my basement, and was down there looking everything over before I get started. My sump pit always has water in it no matter what so I am assuming this is normal ? The pump will turn on, drain then will kick off then water fills back in from outside the pit causing the pump to again kick on. I do have a check valve in the discharge line so I know the water is not comeing back in that way. If I unplug the pump the water level stabilizes at a certain level, and does not continue to go up ? I was thinking the float adjustment is off, but it seems the problem is the water line is higher then the travel range of the float. I temporiarly put two blocks of wood under the pump, and the pump has not come back on, and the water level is at it's normal height. Is this Ok to do, or do I have other problems here ? Thanks in advance for any help !!

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I would check the check valve. I just had to replace one in my sump pump line. The check valve had rotted away inside.

Yes it is normal to have several inches of water in the pit.

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    The check valve is new within the last few months. I should have mentioned I can see water actually comeing in through the sides of the well. I'm thinking the sump pump is just to low in the pit causing it to cycle.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Pump help

You might also want to check where the pvc line discharges outside the house. My dads sump pump ran a lot until we found the discharge was dumping right outside the house next to the foundation. We extended the line out away from the foundation and it kept the water from running right back into the pit.

shawkpilot

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Lawrenceburg
    I had a similar situation of my pump continuing to run. Turned out that the line outside the house was broke, the pump would push the water out, it would go through the break in the line, down along the foundation and right back into the sump. Fixing the pipe outside solved that problem.

The other thing to remember is (at least on my house), the foundation drains will hold water, therefore the level in the pump hole will stay the same, but you are creating a moat around your house. Water rises to the drain pipe level, then spreads around the house through the lines.

With all the dry weather we've had, I wouldn't be surprised if the ground around your house sank, and broke a pipe or two.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    It sounds like....
    1. your discharge line is either broken, or too short and you are just circulating water back into your sump pit.
    2. you have a lot of ground water where you live. I live close to a natural spring,and my sump pit has water in it year round.

It is normal for some water to remain in the pit. Most newer sump pumps are submersible.

Is it possible that either your sewer is stopped up/broken and leaking or water service leaking?
    I have found this problem more than once on a service call.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    If the water level is static after relocation the float height, I think you're fine.

There's no way of knowing if it's a broken discharge pipe without some additional info, and for that you'd need some rain events at the new water level.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'm no plumber, but I know sump pumps. My crock has water going in all the time, even during this long drought. It is ground water. My sump pump runs off and on all the time. I don't let the water stabilize at a high level in the crock. I have it continuously pumping water out. I think that leaving the water level high in the crock would cause problems with the basement. I have a 10' basement and finally have a very good sump pump. It is a Wayne, I bought at Lowes. It is a half-horse. I need the extra umph to push the water up that ten feet and out. Just a reminder. Make sure that your gutters are clean and that the downspouts send the rainwater out and away from your house.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I had this problem. They used 4 inch perforated tile as my exit from the house. Over time about 1 foot from the foundation the ground eroded under it. It sank causing more erosion. My pump would run every 10 seconds. I was pumping in a loop.

I dug it up, replaced about 15 feet of the perforated tile with solid tile. Now my pump never runs. It will always has water on the bottom, below the float that is normal.

Start digging to check first before calling an expert.

Top Bottom