Any members with an early post 64 Winchester model 70? I have a question???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gufnstuf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2022
    Seymour
    Looking for a member with or with experience with the Winchester model 70. I have a new to me 1972 model 70 in .30-06.

While thoroughly cleaning the rifle and disassembling everything, I noticed something about the safety. If I set the safety and squeeze the trigger firmly with the bolt closed, when I switch the safety back to fire the firing pin fires.

Can anyone replicate this on their rifle??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    You sir have a broken gun. Is the trigger real light and crisp? Someone may have been into the trigger and bubbled it up. Have a qualified gun smith check it out. No gun should basically fire when safety is taken off. The early 70's had a simple and durable, 2 lever trigger. The safety is in the bolt, that lifts the the striker off the trigger mechanism. If the trigger/sear is set too light, the striker drops ever so slightly when the safety is released. This can override the sear engagement, if set too light. Better Have It Checked. Yes I own 3 Pre64 model 70's. Try the Highsmiths in down town Greenfield.

Gufnstuf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2022
    Seymour
    Thanks for the reply. I kept searching and found on another forum where a gunsmith provided direction on how to check and make some adjustments to the striker stop under the bolt to correct the issue.

There is a fine line between having the safety that will cam the striker back and having the striker stop putting pressure on the sear.

To avoid taking too much. Used dikem to just file off the dykem and then check it. Repeat until it started working correctly. Sear looks brand new like it was replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom