• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jasonf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    I have been strongly considering getting a KEL-TEK P3AT, and was wondering if anyone out there has one, and can tell me how they like it.

I am looking at this just because of the size of the gun. I am going to carry this gun, and I know if I get something too big I will not carry it, and it cant help me if it is at home in a box.

I have a tall and somewhat slinder bodytype, so I find it hard to carry and not be noticable with a lot of handguns. I have looked at he Kel-Tec 9mm, but have decided to wait for the .380 to ensure that I will carry it after purchase.

Also, if anyone knows where they currently have one for sale I would apprecite a heads up. It seems no one has any of these, and are waiting for the next shipment.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I love mine. It is the gun I carry when I can't carry anything else. Not pleasant to shoot a lot and may take a little work to get it to "run" at first. Quite a few discussions on the board if you search.

IUalum

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I did a "fluff and buff" on mine and it has been perfect since then after a few FTF's early on. Check out the Kel-Tec owner's group forum for instructions on that and lots of info.

I carry mine almost every day, light and concealable.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Very happy with my P3AT and it has not required any special attention. The only time it has failed to cycle has been in the hands of novice shooters. You have to hold onto the little thing. It hasn't been a problem for me. Its a go-anywhere gun. I can't imagine getting rid of it. Some Ruger fans will complain that the Keltec doesn't have a slide stop but I think that shows a complete misunderstanding of the purpose of this gun.

shift74

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    Indianapolis/Wanamaker
    Very happy with my P3AT and it has not required any special attention. The only time it has failed to cycle has been in the hands of novice shooters. You have to hold onto the little thing. It hasn't been a problem for me. Its a go-anywhere gun. I can't imagine getting rid of it.

Some Ruger fans will complain that the Keltec doesn't have a slide stop but I think that shows a complete misunderstanding of the purpose of this gun.

AK's dont have slide stops either and there very well could be more of those in the world than any other gun.

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    My wife carries one everyday ( in her purse ) and shots it fine. She a little thing 115lbs. I put about 500rds with no issues before I would let her have it to make sure it was 100% reliable.

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Have one, carry it often. I did a fluff and buff on it, smoothed out the trigger pull, made it much more shootable. I also took some sandpaper, and knocked off the plastic edges left over from the manufacturing process.

The only issue with it at this point is the fact that .380 is pretty tough to find right now.

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    The P3AT is absolutely one of the most compact pistols on the market today. I had one and carried it everywhere. I think that the Ruger LCP is probably a little nicer if you dont mind the extra cost. Kel-Tecs seem to pop up on the INGO board pretty often so finding one here should be fairly easy. Gander Mountain had LCP'S in stock a couple of weeks ago.

model67a

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    jasper
    keltec

I have the P11 and am completely satisfied with it. My son just purchased a P3AT for his wife and is extremely pleased with it . I would look in to getting the mag extension, the Hogue Handall Jr. grip and the carry clip for it. You should check out gunbroker.com. They usually have a pretty extensive supply of handguns. I am posting the Kel-Tec Owners website. Also their customer service is second to none. stay safe

KTOG Forum - Index

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    My wife carries one everyday ( in her purse ) and shots it fine. She a little thing 115lbs. I put about 500rds with no issues before I would let her have it to make sure it was 100% reliable.

Just trying to offer up some help, but you will want to make sure your wife has a decent number of rounds through the gun too. My experience has been that the only problems with my gun are related to the shooter. It is entirely possible that because she isn't used to shooting it, she may not have a good grip and thus cause failures from limpwristing. I'd sure hate for you guys to find that out the hard way.

Best of luck,
    Josh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Not to be the antagonist in this thread, but I tend to stay away from mag extensions. Why buy the smallest gun on the market and then make it larger?

The P3AT fits in the back pocket of jeans, but there isn't much room to spare. I know that a mag extension eliminates the possibility of back-pocket-carry on several of my pairs of pants.

YMMV, but its something to consider. They are easy enough to take on and off. But, again, if you can manage a bigger gun, go with a super small 9mm.

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    A P3AT is nestled snugly in my pocket as I type this. I rotate between the KelTec and its copycat the LCP for carry. I did the old cushion tape and bike innertube trick to soften some of the kick. Also made some mouse fart loads for practice. Now they are almost fun guns to shoot.

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    kel tec p3at

i recently picked up a P11 (parked w/ black grip) and a P3at (blued w/ od green grip). Took both to range and put 100 rnds thru 9 mill with no problems at all. i also put about 50 rnds thru the p3at without a hitch. I love these guns. If you have trouble locating one, try gunbroker.com. I was a little nervous buying online at first, but after doing it, i will definately do it again. it is very easy (and kinda fun too). I paid 295 for it. probably a little high, but wanted it badly, so WTH!!
    Good luck with your decision. :rockwoot:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I bought one a few weeks ago. At first I was disappointed, as I had about 25% malfunctions. Did the "fluff and buff" and put a couple hundred rounds through, no problems. I feel confident now with this little pistol. I will say that it magnifies all technique faults. I don't, however, find it particularly unpleasant to shoot. It's not a playtoy, it's a serious tool.

Top Bottom