• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Got to drive on the local dirt track (Terre Haute Action Track, where Jeff Gordon, Tony stewart, Rich Vogler, Pancho Carter, A.J. Floyt all have raced). Even in 4hi, going around the track when it was very wet and muddy, I got the back end sideways many times.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Anyone coming down to Interlake November 3rd. The Boonie Riders and Bluegrass 4X4 are hosting Toys for Tots.

It has been a good time ever year.
    I'll be there. Bringing my little TJ this time, though. It gets around OK - on the bunny trails. :D Hopefully someone an show us around a bit. We should have a few guys with us.

I' like to see the new rock garden, and I heard "Three Stones" is open, too.

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    I'll be there. Bringing my little TJ this time, though. It gets around OK - on the bunny trails. :D Hopefully someone an show us around a bit. We should have a few guys with us.

I' like to see the new rock garden, and I heard "Three Stones" is open, too.

Three stones hasn't even been cut yet. The Boonies got a new trail open on National Trail Day but, I have always heard it referred to as the Boonie trail.

There will be plenty of people around to show you the bunny trails. I am headed to Gray Rock in Alabama this weekend so if my junk is still together I will be leading a group to the harder trails.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I'm thinking about taking some of my kids camping and Jeeping around the Smokies toward the end of the week. We might hit Upper Tellico and Coal Creek. We're thinking of camping one night near Natural Bridge State Park in KY. Anyone know of any trails around there?

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    I'm thinking about taking some of my kids camping and Jeeping around the Smokies toward the end of the week. We might hit Upper Tellico and Coal Creek. We're thinking of camping one night near Natural Bridge State Park in KY. Anyone know of any trails around there?

To the best of my knowledge, you won't find many legal public jeep trails around Tellico or Natural Bridge. Coal Creek on the other hand will keep you busy for awhile!

You might consider heading northeast to Harlan. Even the easy logging roads are pretty cool to drive on.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Indiana has 4 legal off-road "parks" - 2 private and 2 public.

Private:
    Badlands (900+ acres)
    3968 N. Xavier Rd.
    Attica, IN 47918
    (765) 762-2981

Haspin Acres (750 acres)
    21208 Laurel Rd.
    Laurel, IN 47024
    (765) 698-2420

State-run:
    Redbird State Recreation Area (1400+ acres)
    RR 3 Box 686
    Linton, IN 47441
    (317) 232-4070
    gatehouse (812) 847-9172

Interlake (3,500 acres)
    Lynnville, IN

There are a few more places that allow ATV's and dirtbikes, but not Jeeps/trucks.

Indiana doesn't have the 2-tracks and dirt roads like they do out west. Our wheeling is pretty much confined to these parks. Southern Indiana has some nice scenic drives, but not much in the way of legal 2-tracking.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've got no group. Just me and my young kids. Of course, I wouldn't say I'll be defenseless. ;)

Do you recommend any particular trails and a campground?
    Its not just the "locals". You can easily be hours from your camp, on the other side of the mountain, and no one around. We came across a rolled Jeep last time I was there, and ended up stopping with a few guys from another group to get them cleaned up (no major injuries) and then towed off of the mountain. It was dark when we got back, and that could have been a LONG night for the Jeep's driver and 3 passengers.

I've not camped there, and the 2 campgrounds in Evarts are really just parking lots you can camp in. There are some cabins that look nice (Black Mountain Cabins) and lots of the locals rent out houses by the day. Check out Po White Boy's rentals (seriously, that's the name). The Putney campground looks nice, but is on the other side of the mountain from town.

As for trails, I'd have to dig out my map for names. They are color-coded, and the blue and green trails should be passable by most reasonable 4x4s (some lift and decent tires). Orange and red are another story, and can be nearly impossible unless your rig is pretty built up. The one I do remember, which was a decent challenge but perfectly do-able, was Mason Jar. It has a moderate path and a "are you serious?" path. Trails like Lower Damnation, Pony Hill, and some others are fun to watch the "big dogs" play on.

I'm hoping to get back down there, probably next year when my CJ is done. My wife and I really enjoyed the trip.

mikedippert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

100_0676 by mike.dippert, on Flickr

That's mine 4 years ago. It hasn't changed a whole lot. New bumpers and working on replacing the craptastic Rubicon Express suspension with Currie parts.

I think I've seen a few of you around Columbus. I know I've seen XD's XJ.

I have this on my spare tire, probably recognize this better than the rest of the Jeep.

IMAG0041 by mike.dippert, on Flickr

Last edited:
    Top Bottom