Any indy/mooresville mechanic want to make some side coin this weekend?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    I have a 2002 F150 XLT 4x4 Super crew.

Has a warped exhaust manifold (passenger side), couple broken studs.

I was going to drive it to Flint, MI this weekend and have my in-laws mechanic do it, but I can't go and dont want my wife to have to handle it.

I live near Mooresville, if you are available shoot me an idea of what you'd charge. I have the part already. I'd come, and honestly I would like to watch and learn.

Thanks.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    You're probably gonna have to spend some $$$$ and find someone very familiar with this particular repair to get you fixed up.. I charged 7 hrs flat rate when I was in a dealer to do these and was the only guy in the shop that would even attempt a repair without engine tear down.. The exhaust studs are I believe 8x1.25 ,which is small.. Think 5/16".. Too small to drill out easily.. And the angle and area your working in doesn't allow for many tools.. I always welded to the broken off part of the stud remaining in the cyl head and the welded a nut to that and removed with air/hand tools... Should cost $300-$500 at a shop depending on if you have all the parts???

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    You're probably gonna have to spend some $$$$ and find someone very familiar with this particular repair to get you fixed up.. I charged 7 hrs flat rate when I was in a dealer to do these and was the only guy in the shop that would even attempt a repair without engine tear down.. The exhaust studs are I believe 8x1.25 ,which is small.. Think 5/16".. Too small to drill out easily.. And the angle and area your working in doesn't allow for many tools.. I always welded to the broken off part of the stud remaining in the cyl head and the welded a nut to that and removed with air/hand tools... Should cost $300-$500 at a shop depending on if you have all the parts???

shop quoted me more than that. Family mechanic in MI will do it for less than that, he does it for a living. But does it for friends on weekends. Just dunno when I will be up in Flint again.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    Well, what was the quote?? The shop I used to work at would give a break especially on higher hour jobs.. I know normally we would cut it back to $75-80 per hour on those jobs because I liked doing them and customer did ok as well... Btw gaskets and studs/hardware are expensive so if you don't have that it's gonna factor in.. I wish I could help but not in a position in my current employment to extend favors...

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    Almost $1000 at the shop, granted it was a dealership. My normal shop doesn't even do it.

$150-$200 at the family mechanic. Just labor.

I just know I dont want to pay $1000, and that I want it fixed ASAP. Its just annoying.

Top Bottom