Any HS / college wrestling fans in here?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chalky

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    Central IN
    Looking forward to both HS and college tourny time. Watch more college now but follow HS. I am old enough to remember the 80's Delta teams. Not sure about Saturday yet, but plan on going to the Pendleton Heights Regional and stream SS and State. Too lazy and cheap to head to Evansville for the state finals. IU vs Purdue should be close IMO. Depends on who they send out.

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    Looking forward to both HS and college tourny time. Watch more college now but follow HS. I am old enough to remember the 80's Delta teams. Not sure about Saturday yet, but plan on going to the Pendleton Heights Regional and stream SS and State. Too lazy and cheap to head to Evansville for the state finals. IU vs Purdue should be close IMO. Depends on who they send out.
    I went to Muncie South during that time. Delta was our rival in wrestling, years later my 3 kids went to Delta and my son wrestled for them. It was rough cheering for Delta wrestling. Now my son lives in Utah with his family, my grandson wrestles out there and is ranked in the top 10 in the State, a couple of weeks ago he pinned the kid that got 3rd in the State last year.

Chalky

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    Central IN
    I went to Muncie South during that time. Delta was our rival in wrestling, years later my 3 kids went to Delta and my son wrestled for them. It was rough cheering for Delta wrestling. Now my son lives in Utah with his family, my grandson wrestles out there and is ranked in the top 10 in the State, a couple of weeks ago he pinned the kid that got 3rd in the State last year.
    Muncie South was a good program as well. I hear you, have been in similar situations cheering for an old rival school. Congrats to your grandson and best of luck to him in the post season.

Lmo1131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2020
    east of the Pacific
    Haven't followed HS Wrestling since I wrestled Heavy Weight in '68-'69. There were only three of us in the weight class in Columbus those years. Daryl Standfield was one, Jim Risk, and me. I was basically sparring-fodder for Daryl ... HW Champion finalist in 1968,.

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    "I am old enough to remember the 80's Delta teams." Don Patton was my coach at Lebanon before moving to Delta. Great coach and mentor. Passed way to early. My Dad and I attended the state finals from 1969 to 2005. Saw Delta win 5 state team titles, Mater Die win multiple titles, saw Lance Ellis, Tsirtsis, Escobedo, Maur and maybe some others win 4 state titles, many 2 and3 time winners. Most memorable matches: Maldanado and Levelle, they met as juniors in the finals, Maldanado won. The indy star interviewed Levelle the next year and he made it clear in the article he was going to be ready for Maldanado. They met again in the finals, Levelle basically put on a clinic and won handily. One other one was the wrestler from Ben Davis with the "injured" finger in the finals who kept taking time outs. Can't remember his name but he prompted a rule change which only allowed a 5 minute maximum for an injury. He was the only wrestler I remember being booed during the award ceremony.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Let's hear predictions on the 132 bracket?

Obviously Hockaday/Thrine isn't in the finals like everyone thought it would be.

I know it sounds crazy, but I'm guessing Thrine/Demarco in the finals, with Thrine getting his second title. Just like last year with Frazier, No one is giving Thrine a chance, but he has a way of winning the tiny position battles that give him tiny victories.

No matter what it's crazy to have 4 undefeated (in state) wrestlers in the same bracket at state. Hockaday has a couple L's but none in this state, so I'm calling him undefeated.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I've rekindled my interest in wrestling a bit, out here my Dean gave me tickets to watch SDSU and Air Force which they destroyed. They are 12-3, beat Navy and Michigan. A lot of the matches in college seem to go the distance without as many pins and win by points.

Ahap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 27, 2022
    Evansville
    I was disappointed by Evansville wrestling fans' lack of attendance this weekend. I would guess that interest was somewhat tempered by the fact that no city teams other than Mater Del advanced any wrestlers to state.

Chalky

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    Central IN
    The ticketmaster debacles didn't help either. Paying a 46% or 57% of ticket price as "fees" is ridiculous. Especially when the site crashes and then they end up mocving seats aroud that were purchased. Plus, tickets were will call not digital. Total mess again, ticketmaster shoulf change there name to ticketcluster.

Last edited:

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    My Grandson took 4th in Utah 5a state championship yesterday at 175lb. He had one heck of a season after taking a year off. He has been wrestling since he was 4 years old. He took up football in middle school and did both sports until last year, at the start of wrestling season his junior year he broke 2 fingers and decided not to chance his football season.
    He got a full ride scholarship to a college in Illinois to play quarterback this fall. I am excited because its 3.5 hours away, so I see many roads in my future this fall.

Shooter5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Indiana
    I wrestled in HS. In the 80’s. Lost to eventual state champion from Delta in Semi-state. Farthest I made it. I still follow HS and college wrestling.

Top Bottom