• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Do we have any electricians here on INGO?
    I need to get an estimate for some electrical work for an insurance claim.
    anyone available, respond here or p.m. me please.
    thanks.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Had a tree come down on the weather head and riser(?) bent the riser, so need an estimate for replacing it. Also considering upgrading from fuses to breakers (probably 200 amp) at the same time if I can get a decent price.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Had a tree come down on the weather head and riser(?) bent the riser, so need an estimate for replacing it. Also considering upgrading from fuses to breakers (probably 200 amp) at the same time if I can get a decent price.

You probably won't get a choice, code will dictate that you have to upgrade to breakers.

kjf48197

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2012
    Indy south side
    Since it is an insurance job they may require a licensed electrical contractor to do the work. The ins. co. might even run the persons license and insurance to make sure they are legitimate. If you are on IPL they will require a permit to be pulled by a contractor. Also a stated above you do not get a choice the upgrade will be required.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    Since it is an insurance job they may require a licensed electrical contractor to do the work. The ins. co. might even run the persons license and insurance to make sure they are legitimate. If you are on IPL they will require a permit to be pulled by a contractor. Also a stated above you do not get a choice the upgrade will be required.

If all that is damaged is the riser and weatherhead, the fuse panel can be left as is. There is nothing in the NEC that requires you to replace it. OTOH, if the insurance co. will pick up the tab for a new panel, go for it. It just depends on how sharp your adjuster is because technically, if the panel isn't damaged and you want to increase the size, that's an upgrade. Not "like for like" replacement.

If I were doing the job, the 200 A service would probably cost you $ 1,800 to $ 2,000. Replacing the riser and weatherhead is probably worth $ 500 - $ 600.

Good luck.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    If all that is damaged is the riser and weatherhead, the fuse panel can be left as is. There is nothing in the NEC that requires you to replace it. OTOH, if the insurance co. will pick up the tab for a new panel, go for it. It just depends on how sharp your adjuster is because technically, if the panel isn't damaged and you want to increase the size, that's an upgrade. Not "like for like" replacement.

If I were doing the job, the 200 A service would probably cost you $ 1,800 to $ 2,000. Replacing the riser and weatherhead is probably worth $ 500 - $ 600.

Good luck.
    Thank you, that's what I was looking for. Any chance you want to write the estimate?

Ralphie Parker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2013
    Waterloo
    The AHJ does not have the authority to write things into the Code that aren't there. He can fail my installation, but he had better be able to show me chapter and verse.

Oh, I agree with what you are saying. They do like to throw that "code is minimum" out there in my experience. I hope OP has a good final outcome.

Top Bottom