• Poll closed .

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    So apparently I am unconsciously good at buying guns that seem too pricey at the time but soon skyrocket. Example: a couple years ago I picked up a commercial CZ-83 in .32 acp. at the time I paid around $300-350. I have seen now several of these go for over $500 and one just sold on gunbroker for $615. Because CZ is no longer importing these, the commercial ones have really jumped.

Brings me to a Marlin 1894cp I picked up in mid 2011. These were made in 2001-2002 only, a limited run of 16" ported .357 rifles. Got it around the same time and felt stupid for paying $700, though it was unfired, NIB. But this was when JM marked rifles were disappearing and a regular one was around $600. I happened to be on gunbroker today and found two current auctions for similar rifles. Both are very good to excellent condition but have been shot and show wear, no boxes either. One has six bids and is up to $1,175, reserve NOT met, and one has no bids with a "buy it now" price of $1,500.

I've had mine two years and haven't even shot it. Is it stupid of me to keep it and eventually shoot it or should I sell it?

Last edited:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    A NIB sold for 1100 and another NIB for 1150 and one NIB for 1525. Nice. If you just gotta shoot it, then shoot it. If you want some dough, then don't even lever it open.

Really depends on how attached you are to it. I have a NIB Winchester 22 trapper. I don't shoot it but am just holding onto it.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    Its rellative i would say. I personally dont like to sell any of my guns. Im more of a collector. But lots of people are always trading and selling theres. I have a couple of guns i never have shot and would not sell. But i have to admit making 400 or 500 bucks sounds nice as well. If you are willing to part with items normally i would say price it higher then the buy it now one and let the freemarket decide if you sell it. If some one is willing to pay a lot for it then they will probably use it more then you and u can make a killing.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Many years ago I bought a Colt Det. Spl. It was exactly the revolver I wanted. So then Colt says no more would be made. The price on them went a little nuts. What to do? I ended up trading even for a Colt LW Commander in 38 Super. Still have the Super. Guess this doesn't help, but if this is the rifle you want, shoot it and let your heirs wonder what to do with it.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Ported guns are so much fun at the range. It is fun when both benches clear out after firing a few rounds or stuff gets blown off the tables. If you want to make a small profit chose me.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Ported guns are so much fun at the range. It is fun when both benches clear out after firing a few rounds or stuff gets blown off the tables.

You ain't just whistling Dixie!
    I have a Taurus Raging Bull in .454 Casull ported 8-3/8" barrel
    A Taurus model 607 .357mag 4" ported barrel
    and a Thompson Contender .45/70govt "Super 16" 16" ported barrel

Every last one turns heads, but especially the Raging Bull.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have a marlin outfitter in 444 Marlin that is ported and short barreled. I have a set of reloads that use slow burning powder. It looks like a fire breathing dragon.

Last edited:

rcox

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Jackson County
    Personal preference. I always have a hard time letting go of my stuff, and none of it is as nice as that. I always feel like they are too hard to replace. The toss up is between bragging rights, and what else could I do with the dough! If you're married, you could always ask your wife! :dunno:

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    If I bought it, I would shoot it.
    Some people buy them for investments or collector value.
    Some people buy them to use and enjoy.
    Or maybe my price point is just higher :):. If it was a $5,000 firearm I might change my tune.

Top Bottom