• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    What another douche. I had to write him and tell him. These are the ignants out there we are fighting against. I find it interesting the way they think. Always good to study the enemy to be better prepared to defeat them in this war of words. And Logic.

On guns, we lost an opportunity

Dan Rodricks April 21, 2009 Don't be absurd," a reader of this column, E. Bruce Volensky of Alabama, wrote recently when I suggested in an e-mail exchange that he and other all-guns-at-all-costs advocates seem unfazed by the mass killings that have marked another American spring. "Those of us that support Second Amendment RIGHTS hate gun deaths, perhaps more than you, for it gives you what you seem to think is ammunition (no pun intended) for your cause."

Thanks for the candor, Bruce.

Those in the all-guns-at-all-costs crowd might cringe a little when they hear stories like the one out of Binghamton last month, or the one out of Columbine 10 years ago Monday, or the one out of Middletown (five dead, including three children, murder-suicide) over the weekend. And they fully expect a few of us to claim that a lack of gun control has contributed to an epidemic of impulsive, demented and deadly violence.

But the backlash, the calls for gun control - Bruce and his comrades know this will all pass - that outrage is just a temporary condition.

Dan Rodricks Bio | E-mail | Recent columns

We don't decry it as much as we used to, and we seem to abide a cynical political culture willing to accept a level of violence that would be unacceptable in other countries.

Even President Barack Obama, the agent of change and hope, seems disinclined to take charge here. Members of his own party have warned him against renewing the federal ban on assault rifles, for instance, so he stands pat, even as weapons spill over the border and enable the gangs in Mexico.

This has been a particularly bloody spring in the United States - with anniversaries at Virginia Tech and Columbine serving as reminders of other horrific Aprils - and we've summoned little more than a shrug about it all.

"REALITY killed the gun control debate," Volensky, the e-mailer from Alabama, went on. "People are finally realizing how foolish 'gun control' is and that they have a RIGHT if not a duty to take responsibility for their own safety. They are finally realizing that criminals are criminals and are not going to obey the laws that hack politicians put in place to appease people such as yourself. They are finally realizing that the only people affected by gun control laws are the law abiding."

There's some truth to that, Bruce.

I'm sure the 13 people who were shot to death at the immigration center in Binghamton were law-abiding, maybe even perfectly peaceful, people. I'm sure the children of Christopher Wood, the Middletown dad who apparently shot them before killing himself, respected the laws, as much as they even had an awareness of them.

Indeed, law-abiding people are profoundly affected by our gun-control laws - the lack of them.

I am not normally a pessimist. But when it comes to guns, I think we've lost our opportunity to reverse their proliferation.

It's not just the lack of elected leaders willing to take on the all-guns-at-all-costs crowd.

It's the reality of so many guns in our midst now - some 280 million in a nation of a bit more than 300 million people, enough of them with mental illness or anger problems or relationship issues to almost guarantee more of the easily executable violence we've seen again this spring.

We had our chances. We had an era of high-profile assassinations followed by a debate about handguns - how the easily concealable firearms do little more than facilitate the killing of human beings - and that went away, and millions of handguns went into circulation. We had a debate about assault weapons, and a ban on them for a while; that went away, and more of them went into circulation. Gun sales generally have been on the rise since last fall.

To try and roll all this back is to try and dam the ocean with a tennis racket.

It goes on and on.

Just as I write this Monday, the Cecil County sheriff's office reports that a woman in Elkton "out of the blue" shot and wounded the man she married less than three weeks ago, then fatally shot herself. In Pikesville, about 3 in the afternoon, someone shoots a maintenance worker at an apartment complex, in view of students from Old Court Middle School nearby.

We can keep arguing about this - that it's people, not guns, that cause all the violence. But guns make it easier for disturbed people to kill their spouses or children. Guns are behind most of the gang terror in America, and guns make the mass killings possible. There are some 280 million guns. We're a nation assured of more violence, and we're not even debating this anymore.

Dan,
    I was reading your article "On Guns We Lost An Opportunity". I have some questions and comments to float by you.

First, a question. What kinds of Gun Control Laws would you like to see in place? Just because some people snap and do awful things, should every single person undergo a psych-evaluation first? Should we make more laws saying what kinds and how many guns people are allowed to own? It won't stop anything.

Second, and this pisses me off to no end, you talk about "Guns Spilling Into Mexico".... That is complete and utter ********. Where in the hell can I buy some anti-aircraft guns, full-auto M4's and AK's?? If you can tell me that I'm going to go stockpile some nice guns because those are worth some BIG money.

I seriously doubt drug lords are paying 10-30K dollars PER RIFLE for full-auto's. Not when they can be bought from other criminals in OTHER COUNTRIES for 1/100th the price. I can go to Chicago, IL right now and purchase any gun, semi- or full-auto for under $2K. Oh, and have you ever thought that maybe the guns we gave the Mexican GOVERNMENT have ended up in the wrong hands? What about other South American Countries who we train and supply? Don't you think it's more viable that the guns the Drug Gangs get come from other places than the USA? Just because they're made here doesn't mean they got them here. That's like saying I killed a man with an Austrian Glock but that I smuggled it from Austria.

Lastly I would like to touch on something that you and your ilk just can't seem to get in your head. Look to England to see how well banning ANYTHING works out. They banned guns. Knife crime skyrocketed. They are now banning knives and other weapons crimes are skyrocketing. Baning ANYTHING will never work. Ever.

In closing I want you to remember one thing. The 2nd Amendment was put in place to secure our right to rebel against the government. Does that mean I want to overthrow the government? No. Did they have machineguns back in the 1700-1800's? No. Neither did the government. We are given the rights to own the very weapons the military has to protect ourselves from the same. If you can afford an M1A1 Abrahms Tank, you have every right to own one.

GET OVER IT. Guns are not evil. People are. If every gun on Earth was destroyed, swords and bows and arrows would become the weapons of choice again. You can't stop the inevitable. You can't tell people how to live their life. You will only get trampled for doing so.

Sincerely,
    Ryan Savage

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    They need to make it a death sentance for the commision of a crime with a gun. If you took a gun with you to commit a crime it should suck to be you. anyway great job on passing along your thoughts. :patriot:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I'm still waiting! :D Thanks for the rep guys, but I just want everyone to know just how stupid these people are.

And to encourage you all to write them and give them your :twocents: aswell...

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Well thought out response and intelligent sounding prose! Repped!

Well thanks. Not sure how well thought out it was as I was flying by the seat of my pants and driven off rage, kinda, but I should have taken more time with it and pointed out more facts and such. But still, thanks anyway!

Top Bottom