• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My hunting partner had a cable break on one of our lock on stands last year. He was wearing a harness and was tied in but fortunately the other cable held and he didn't have to rely on it.

I'm very good about wearing a harness but we only have life lines on a few trees. We try to clip in before leaving the ladder/steps and putting our weight on the platform of the stand. We've had the conversation about starting to incorporate more blinds and fewer stands in our approach. We aren't the tree climbing spring chickens we once were.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    My hunting partner had a cable break on one of our lock on stands last year. He was wearing a harness and was tied in but fortunately the other cable held and he didn't have to rely on it.

I'm very good about wearing a harness but we only have life lines on a few trees. We try to clip in before leaving the ladder/steps and putting our weight on the platform of the stand. We've had the conversation about starting to incorporate more blinds and fewer stands in our approach. We aren't the tree climbing spring chickens we once were.
    Just a question. Don't you have to climb up to install a life line? Not a hunter, but interested. I've been through more than a few osha training classes and they talk about ladder safety and how they are required to be secured, and tie offs, and everything else. But never mention how they are to be put in place. And scary enough at one time I was a "competent person" for scaffolding. I was taught what was required for people to use it, but how to install it...

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Just a question. Don't you have to climb up to install a life line? Not a hunter, but interested. I've been through more than a few osha training classes and they talk about ladder safety and how they are required to be secured, and tie offs, and everything else. But never mention how they are to be put in place. And scary enough at one time I was a "competent person" for scaffolding. I was taught what was required for people to use it, but how to install it...

The amount of time 'transitioning' is a small risk.
    The amount of time at the top of the ladder or platform is the bigger risk.
    Minimize the risk you can.

I was a bit happier when they installed guy lines (or is it guide lines?) on the cranes I had to walk the rails.
    I still had to get to the top.
    But walking the rail, there was a guy line next to it to tie off to.

All that took, was my boss that had just transferred to a different unit to take the long plunge.
    Oddly enough, he didn't fall from the rail.
    He fell because the procedure wasn't followed, cause they didn't have 'time'.
    But you never want to say that.
    Easier to install equipment and then say the problem is fixed.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I climb a lot for work , I have taken falls at work, but never a full length screamer fall while hunting.. I often use a static line adjusted down to keep me in place when standing in my stand.. I was doing that this year when I stood to try to get a shot at a buck who was behind me,, I was in a ladder stand and a pair of yearlings were running around below and one slammed into the ladder and knocked me off balance.. I did not anywhere just to the limit of my static line.. but it did make me glad I am in the habit of using the gear..

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    The amount of time 'transitioning' is a small risk.
    The amount of time at the top of the ladder or platform is the bigger risk.
    Minimize the risk you can.

I was a bit happier when they installed guy lines (or is it guide lines?) on the cranes I had to walk the rails.
    I still had to get to the top.
    But walking the rail, there was a guy line next to it to tie off to.

All that took, was my boss that had just transferred to a different unit to take the long plunge.
    Oddly enough, he didn't fall from the rail.
    He fell because the procedure wasn't followed, cause they didn't have 'time'.
    But you never want to say that.
    Easier to install equipment and then say the problem is fixed.
    Properly set up there should be zero transition time. You should be hooked up to the next point before you unhook from the last. It's installing it that's the problem. Yes I know that is not how it works.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Properly set up there should be zero transition time. You should be hooked up to the next point before you unhook from the last. It's installing it that's the problem. Yes I know that is not how it works.
    If your trying to go 100% tied off, you would use a climbing belt/rope to climb up and install the safety life line.

Its a lot more advantageous to bear hug the tree and try to do everything with one hand and hold straps with your teeth.

Top Bottom