Anderson Manufacturing RF 85 metal treatment, never need to oil your gun again.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Sounds interesting.

What's the warranty?

How many rounds have they ran without a failure?

What conditions has it been tested in?

Life span without breakage vs traditional parts?

The ability to run without oil, if true, would be pretty danged handy. Particularly in dusty/sandy environments or in long term storage situations.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    [video=youtube;3G6VRFcditk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G6VRFcditk[/video]

indybrownsfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Mooresville
    I have the lower but not the matching upper.
    Last time I cleaned the lower I just used soap and water in a old dishpan.
    I have an Anderson upper ..just not RF85.
    Wanting to get the upper ..just cant find one yet.

Snipercop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    SS Indianapolis
    Boy, we're just getting lazy now. How hard is it and how long does it take to properly service your weapon? May trust it for a plinker. Nice innovation if it's true, but my service weapons will always see the oil they deserve.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Metal to metal friction points will always need something to isolate the 2 surfaces.
    In my life time this has been oil/grease etc in some form or another.
    I will not trust my expensive (to me) firearms to snake oil magic treatments.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Metal to metal friction points will always need something to isolate the 2 surfaces.
    In my life time this has been oil/grease etc in some form or another.
    I will not trust my expensive (to me) firearms to snake oil magic treatments.
    Supposedly this type of molecular bonding treatment has been involved somehow in F1 racing to reduce drag on metal to metal working surfaces.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Supposedly this type of molecular bonding treatment has been involved somehow in F1 racing to reduce drag on metal to metal working surfaces.

From what I remember reading about this process of lubrication, on steel to steel it can reduce friction up to 82%, on aluminum its down to 25%.

I'm a firm believer in excess lubricants with some firearms, especially firearms that are being shot with larger volumes of ammunition. Usually synthetic 5w- 30w motor oil.
    The excess lube will flow away the dirt,carbon and buildups from shooting..

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I have read about it.
    Just not sure about this yet.
    I hear you CM. I'm not any kind of expert on this kind of stuff and I can't attest to the valdity of Anderson's claims and I'm not intending to sell anyone on their product.

With that being said I should mention that I do indeed own an Anderson factory built rifle that has the complete RF85 treatment. Unfortunely though I can't provide any real performance data because I have'nt run it yet. I was curios about it and I got a good deal on one so I bought one of their 16" M4 carbine profile models a while ago and it's been sitting in the safe up until recently when I decided that I needed an SPR type AR more than I need an M4.

Sooo I went about re-purposing and built an SPR using the RF85 treated upper and lower receiver with the BCG and CH. I did a re-barrel using an 18" rifle length OPQ Nitrided barrel.

I will say that the stock mil-spec type single stage trigger was surprisingly smooth. Not the typical gritty mil-spec trigger but smooth with a nice break and reset. Even so I chose to replace it with a Geissele 2 stage trigger.

Now I don't really intend to run this new SPR type configuration hard (I have other rifles for those purposes) I'm confident that the RF85 treated parts will perform quite well for this application. I just gotta find the time to get out and run it some now.

Top Bottom