• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    One of the things I'd like to get is an iron stove--Franklin Stove or Potbellied Stove--that I can haul in at need, run a flue out a window (the opening for the chimney in the fireplace is a tad low for that kind of use) and in which I can burn wood at need.

The idea is to have a more efficient source of heat than the fireplace if there's any kind of extended loss of gas and/or electricity.

Any ideas where I can find such a thing at a reasonable price (and, for that matter, what a "reasonable price" for such a thing might be)?

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Do you want an efficient stove or just a cheap stove. Year end clearance (Spring) at TSC, Rural King maybe even Lowe's might net you a deal.

I heat with a bio fuel stove but have 2 LP Gas non vented fireplaces as a back up in case of a power outage. The bio fuel stove requires electricity but the fireplaces do not and claim 90%+ efficiency. I also have an HE LP Gas furnace but it is seldom used.

My buddy bought a cheaper bio stove but he uses about twice as much fuel as I do. There is something to be said for the engineering in the more expensive stoves. If you are only looking for it as an emergency source of heat, the el cheapos will suffice.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Do you want an efficient stove or just a cheap stove. Year end clearance (Spring) at TSC, Rural King maybe even Lowe's might net you a deal.

I heat with a bio fuel stove but have 2 LP Gas non vented fireplaces as a back up in case of a power outage. The bio fuel stove requires electricity but the fireplaces do not and claim 90%+ efficiency. I also have an HE LP Gas furnace but it is seldom used.

My buddy bought a cheaper bio stove but he uses about twice as much fuel as I do. There is something to be said for the engineering in the more expensive stoves. If you are only looking for it as an emergency source of heat, the el cheapos will suffice.

Cheap I can have now, which is kind of the point. I'm looking for wood burning since, in any SHTF scenario where I stay home, I can get wood to burn. Anything fancier might not be available. For that matter, I've been accumulating a pile of firewood already.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Cheap I can have now, which is kind of the point. I'm looking for wood burning since, in any SHTF scenario where I stay home, I can get wood to burn. Anything fancier might not be available. For that matter, I've been accumulating a pile of firewood already.

The cheapo stove will work just fine but make sure you buy the expensvie double walled vent pipe. The weak point of the stoves is in the venting and you do not want a fire. Check Rural King or TSC.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    And one thing that was brought to my attention in another forum is an M1941 Tent Stove. A quick google finds a number of sources which list them for around $90 plus shipping.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    And one thing that was brought to my attention in another forum is an M1941 Tent Stove. A quick google finds a number of sources which list them for around $90 plus shipping.

The problem with the cheaper stoves is the cast metal. The thicker and better quality cast equate to longer life and equal heat distribution. Most cast is now coming from China or India. There are even kits to make your own out of 55 gallon (or 35) drums but they burn out very quickly. Take a walk thru one of the larger Rural Kings and you may be pleasantly surprised

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    Are you looking for something like this:

DCAM0002.JPG

This isn't mine, but it's exactly like it. If you are interested, send me a PM...

shark29er

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Be careful

We have a pretty hi speed unit. Made in sweden by a company called Scan, and it is very cool looking as well as very efficient. It was expensive, but we rolled into the cost of the remodel.

We had to jump through some hoops, minimal, but some with our homeowners insurance. Issues with clearance to walls, the proper flooring material (and size) below the fireplace, as well as the box taking the chimney through the roof. I am certain, if there was a fire and all that stuff wasn't right, they wouldn't pay the claim.

We do move it out usually in the summer, but that isn't the easiest thing either.

Good luck

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Ditto on the Vogelzang. Menard's and Tractor Supply also carry them. I've had one for about three years now and burn in it nearly constatly in cool to cold weather in my shop. While not airtight, with a little practice you can learn how to control the burn efficently without smokimg up the room. Mine is the bigger model and the top actually measures 30 inches and works very well.

Top Bottom