• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    So I'm scrounging around in my Dad's shop today, looking for some key stock, and I stumble across an old knife. A big knife. I ask Pops if he knows anything about it, and of course he does. ( Dad is 86 years old, and has a little trouble with what happened yesterday, but remembers everything from way back) Anyway, he remembers finding this knife laying in the road near his work, back in 1957. It's in pretty rough shape. So I take it with me and start doing a little cleaning, and find markings on one side that say "U.S. MOD 1917 C.T." After a google search I find it's a WW1 Bolo fighting knife. Pretty cool. I've never seen one before, but then again I'm no real knife guru. Military or otherwise. The wood handles are gone. (It was wrapped in a dishtowel and covered in electrical tape) The guard is a little bent and "wobbly". But there's no deep gouges or grind marks on the edge. It does have some pitting. It looks like this. ( minus the wood)
    287778718_tp.jpg

Any I thought it was a pretty cool discovery. I think I might do a little work on her and see if I can make her functional again.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Some gentle TLC, steel wool, oil, some nice wood, new rivits (or whatever holds the grips on) then a good sharpening and you're ready for fun camping. It is likely that the grips is what holds the guard tite to the tang.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    DO not change the wood !! if you do that you will destroy any value it has, My quess it is kinda rare so I would treat it with TLC and not change a thing!!! dont sharpen it shine it or any of that, its value is in the way it is!! and my guess its worth a couple hundered bucks anyway.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    DO not change the wood !! if you do that you will destroy any value it has, My quess it is kinda rare so I would treat it with TLC and not change a thing!!! dont sharpen it shine it or any of that, its value is in the way it is!! and my guess its worth a couple hundered bucks anyway.

Calm down killer, as stated in the OP. The wood handles are gone. The supplied picture is an example.

Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    OK, so that's cool. I have never seen one, that I know of, but I like it. Good find.

Good luck with the restoration. Take some before and after pictures and let us see how it turns out.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom