• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    I've been looking for Body Bags for a few years.
    I finally found some at a good price and bought 10.
    (I have 6 for sale in the classifieds - Blatent Plug)

Am I nuts, over prepared or extremely wise.
    My wife doesn't even want contemplate the loss of a Family member.
    But suppose a Tornado, Major Earthquake hits, Emergency Services are overwhelmed, and one of your neighbors was killed.
    What do you do with a body when there is no funeral home or ambulance for imediate pick up?

With 2 poles they make a serviceable stretcher.

Am I over the edge on this or not?

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    Well, you may be nuts. But I don't think this is a nutty thing to do. Since you are my neighbor, I'll know where to go if I need one.

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    While I am not saying your Nuts... a gentle talk with a professional adviser might just be warranted. JUST KIDDING.

The situation that I could see using a BB is if there were a reason for saving to corps. Such as determining cause of death ( possibly chemical or Biological ) implications. Obvious odor - disease - contamination control. Although a fire pit would serve those concerns, it doesn't address emotional concerns. A majority of people still want to be buried in the ground. In an emergency situation it may or may not be possible. In an extreme situation burn pit, might be the only viable option.

If the situation were extreme and food limited I would hope that my family would use my body as nourishment, either for themselves or for our animals.

rcuhljr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Carmel
    I think my only issue is it's a little overly specific, a set of cheap disposable blankets or tarps might very well accomplish a lot of the same tasks and still be useful for other things, along with seemingly a little less morbid. There's very few SHTF situations I can think of where longer term body storage would be that useful.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Mr.Hoppes

If the situation were extreme and food limited I would hope that my family would use my body as nourishment, either for themselves or for our animals.

Do you taste like chicken.... or hoppes? :stickpoke: :D:D

emclean

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    porter county (NWI)
    I have used one since my army days as a light sleeping bag, and keep for an emergency strecher, of course i also use a strecher as a cot, and have been accused of being odd as well.

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    I think my only issue is it's a little overly specific, a set of cheap disposable blankets or tarps might very well accomplish a lot of the same tasks and still be useful for other things, along with seemingly a little less morbid. There's very few SHTF situations I can think of where longer term body storage would be that useful.

Would you want to use a Blanket that had been on a Dead Body?
    Blankets and Tarps are too valuable to throw away IMO.
    And difficult to make or replace.
    My emergency blankets are all wool.

These will double as Stretchers, or Coffins in a pinch.
    A cheap plastic drop cloth would serve better than a tarp or blanket and be dirt cheap. I keep many of these around just because.

Scout Motto: Always Be Prepared.

While I want to be positive in my outlook I also believe, Prepare for the worst, Hope for the best.

Last edited:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Karl, as long as you arent donning the body bag and going down the street on your scooter, yelling Rolling Dead, then you are fine! :D

I agree with that a body bag is better than a blanket as it saves a blanket for a cold day but also keeps decomposition and disease to a minimum until you can get the body in the ground. I keep a shovel in my big bag, but cant imagine how long it would take to bury a body, particularly if it is cold. Also, the bag would keep the stink down, aka, keep animals away.

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Karl, as long as you arent donning the body bag and going down the street on your scooter, yelling Rolling Dead, then you are fine! :D

I agree with that a body bag is better than a blanket as it saves a blanket for a cold day but also keeps decomposition and disease to a minimum until you can get the body in the ground. I keep a shovel in my big bag, but cant imagine how long it would take to bury a body, particularly if it is cold. Also, the bag would keep the stink down, aka, keep animals away.

Might make a good Halloween costume at that.
    Or maybe Yard Decorations?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Am I over the edge on this or not?

Karlsgunbunker you are CERTIFIED CRAZY and :alcoholic: too much!
    However I'm with you on this one becuase one can NEVER BE FULLY PREPARED! Your family, friends, and neighbors may laugh and think your crazy for these items but if the SHTF and you actually do need them only then will you finally be vindicated.

This is what I let my wife when I get that extra $10 in canned food, clearence box of band-aids, 'poopy bags', more gasoline, more ammo, etc.. it's going to make me sleep better at night knowing that I have what we need even if we may never need it.

PsYcHo SqUiRrEl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    Greenetucky
    Never thought of having body bags stashed away. I guess they could come in handy. Hopefully these are better than the ones I've used over the past 17yrs in EMS. I haven't seen one yet that keeps odor/fluids inside it! :puke:I'm sure they make some that would, but of course most of the equipment I'm given to use obviously came from the lowest bidder!

Top Bottom