• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Simple Ed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Kosciusko County
    I have one gun, a Taurus PT111 g2. It's,technically, SA/DA. but it has no external hammer so I can't de-cock it.

I've been leaving one in the chamber because it's for carry and home defense.

So if it's always cocked, am I hurting something? Should I develop better habits? Thoughts?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    In my opinion, "cocked and locked" is the correct way to carry it.

I have a striker-fired Springfield XD that is SA-only, with no manual safety (just grip and trigger safeties). So, it can ONLY be "cocked and locked" if I carry with a round chambered (which I do).

Those that have SA/DA handguns may offer different advice, I suppose.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I have a Springfield and a Taurus (both .45's) and both are always cocked and locked...ready to go.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You aren't hurting anything, its how its supposed to be carried. Springs don't wear out from being under load (within their tolerances), so there's no issue with causing wear by leaving it cocked.

Simple Ed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Kosciusko County
    You aren't hurting anything, its how its supposed to be carried. Springs don't wear out from being under load (within their tolerances), so there's no issue with causing wear by leaving it cocked.

That's my concern. I do carry it cocked, but didn't know if the constant tension would be injurious. The ONLY time it would get a break would be during firing or cleaning.

Last edited:

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    No worry. It should be well within the design parameters to carry that way for decades.

However, if you replace the recoil spring at some point in the future, it's not a bad idea to buy the spring kit and replace both of them along with the trigger return spring.

Simple Ed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Kosciusko County
    In my opinion, "cocked and locked" is the correct way to carry it.

I have a striker-fired Springfield XD that is SA-only, with no manual safety (just grip and trigger safeties). So, it can ONLY be "cocked and locked" if I carry with a round chambered (which I do).

Those that have SA/DA handguns may offer different advice, I suppose.

I think the only difference with mine having double action is if there is a fail to fire I can strike it again. Other than that, it's like SAO.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I do carry it cocked, but didn't know if the constant tension would be injurious.

It is not. Like I said, springs don't wear out from being under load unless that load exceeds their tolerance (you bend it too far and damage it, basically). Flexing is what wears springs out. To over simplify it somewhat (disclaimer so the resident engineers don't yell at me) let's compare it to a paper clip. Paper clips never lose their springiness if you clip a few pages together and leave it like that for 10 years. It'll still be there holding papers together. That same paperclip will lose its springiness if you open it up too far or work it back and forth rapidly and it heats up, weakens, and breaks. Your hammer/striker spring is basically holding a few sheets of paper together while its cocked, static and well within its design parameters.

Simple Ed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Kosciusko County
    So, to quote some lame "as seen on TV" product, I can "...set it, and forget it!" Not that I mind fiddling with the mechanics of the gun (that's kinda cool) but I don't like the idea of having to babysit my gun and unloading each night.

Thanks for the good news!

Top Bottom