• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bowtie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    South Bend
    So if you want ammo for certain rifles and handguns right now its no secret if you really want it your going to pay an inflated price or get lucky and find it through a friend of some sort. Same thing with magazines. I've been to several LGS in my area and a few of them had some AR's and no .223 or 5.56 and no mags. I mean what would be the point in owning an AR or AK with one mag and a box of ammo?

Sad thing is alot of people call me that are friends of mine that all of a sudden want an AR. Kind of a bad situation to be in really with a nice rifle with no ammo or mags. I thank myself all the time for buying plenty of ammo and mags when I purchased my first AR several mos ago and thats because all of you were recommending it.

Similar situation with another friend of mine. I love his 5.7 pistol alot and earlier this year I offered to buy it off him. He refused ( I didnt blame him nice gun) and now wants to sell it to me. I have no interest in it cause for one ammo is GONE from every crack and corner of a vendor and its just plain ridiculous as to what its going for on gunbroker. 1000 rounds of 5.7 could easily sell right now for over what the actual cost was of the pistol until now 2,500 seems to be the hot price for one. Again you buy one and are in a hunch for no ammo.

Have a great new year everyone :draw:

AttackMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Nomad
    Concur

I agree-I think barring unforseen circumstances (committee involvement?) it is worth focusing money on the firearms not the ammo. Since Feinstein's bill said absolutely nothing about ammo (yay!) I really think given time and the inevitable end of people's wallet's irrational exuberance the ammo will return to normal-ish prices.

swamptick

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Rochester
    Yes I agree as well, but I Like a lot of you finally have some much needed time off work and no reasonable priced ammo left. But we have been through this before many times and we will weather the storm. Happy New Year to everyone.

Dave-O

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    New Albany
    Seems like the storm blew over in the louisville area. Plenty of mags for sale at the show this weekend. I took 80 to the show to sell and only had 2 people even ask about the 30 round ar mag hanging around my neck for sale. Wasn't looking to give them away but my price was less than I can sell them on ebay or gunbroker for. Mags at the show were plentiful for $20. Went to the show friday afternoon expecting a line around the building and there was 1 person in the ticket line. It was the calmest show I have been to in years. Ar prices were ridiculously insane but everything else seemed normal.

AttackMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Nomad
    Kokomo

I went to Kokomo this weekend and had a diff experience: mags were $40-50, ARs were scant and insanely priced and the line was 50-80ppl out the door when I got there (0945 or so)...

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Honestly the only caliber I havent been able to find around Ft Wayne for normal prices is 223. Gander even had some 223 for $50/100, expensive but you could buy it. 22LR is the other hard one but I bought 1800rds from Walmart two days ago. No trouble finding 38, 9mm, 45, and the Walmart by my house had a bunch of 7.62 and .40 last time I was there.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Ammo will come back into stock.

Magazines will take longer.

Truthfully, and don't tell the brady campaign this, when I shoot my AR I only load 10 at a time into a smaller 20 rd mag.

Even at $5 / box for tula, it's pretty expensive to blast through a 30 rd mag. The 10 at a time allows me to pace myself and not put too many holes in the paper at once.

But that's shooting from a bench, obviously tactical training is much different and people that have access to tactical training are up the creek. For everybody else, just change how you shoot until the supply comes back.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I went to Kokomo this weekend and had a diff experience: mags were $40-50, ARs were scant and insanely priced and the line was 50-80ppl out the door when I got there (0945 or so)...
    Yeah, I was there Sunday, don't know what day you went, but it was like that when I was there. Did buy some K-31 Swiss ammo - decent price. and a $10 magazine pouch for AK. Found a Custom Hornady die set for 30-06 like new for $25. Son found an OLD can of Bullseye (1930 -40's) sealed and wanted it for display @$20. AR's and Magazine prices were nuts, glad I have about all I want or need.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    Truthfully, and don't tell the brady campaign this, when I shoot my AR I only load 10 at a time into a smaller 20 rd mag.

Even at $5 / box for tula, it's pretty expensive to blast through a 30 rd mag. The 10 at a time allows me to pace myself and not put too many holes in the paper at once.

But that's shooting from a bench, obviously tactical training is much different and people that have access to tactical training are up the creek. For everybody else, just change how you shoot until the supply comes back.
    I agree, I almost always use a SLED to fire one round at a time to target shoot. I have plenty of 30 rnd mags but I never use them. They are to long and get in my way when shooting.

Top Bottom