• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    The guy should be able to fulfill the wishes of his wife. I honestly can't say what my feelings would be if my next door neighbor decided to do this, but, like the VietNam vet in the article said, who am I to tell the man what to do?

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Tough one. What happens when he dies... the next owner wants her moved?

I thought about that not long after I read it.
    I think I'd still let them be, even if it was a little odd.
    I was taught that the dead are sacrosanct;
    when you bury your dead, you bury your dead.
    Not that we play hot potato with the dead and dig 'em up
    after each shopping center goes up.

Decidedly inconvenient to the shopping center, perhaps,
    but even more inconvenient to the dead.

Even if one does not believe in the power of the dead to influence the living,
    one should still respect the dead - who were once among us in the land of the living. Or vice-versa.

What will we do when all the crypts and graveyards and landfills are full?
    When the dead are buried upon the dead in the catacombs?
    When the ground swells and then overflows with the corpses of humanity?
    Moving people is not only a disrespectful and possibly wrath-incurring event, it's at best a temporary solution.

In two hundred years, Starbucks may well want to build a store on the graves of our children.
    Should they be allowed to do so?

Should the dead finally rest in the Earth, or be jostled around in various states of decay
    like so many shipping packages with no final destination?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Why do they find to most odd Alabamians to make us look like idiots?

***sigh***

Who is to say that it makes anyone look like an idiot? The woman wanted to be buried at home and her husband honored her wishes. Having been faced with the responsibility of carrying out the final wishes of another, I can assure you that blowing off choices, even choices with which you are not so sure you agree, can be a very difficult thing to do in the context of honoring the lost loved one.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Was she already dead when he buried her? If not, I can see why he wants her to stay down there.

I saw a nice deal on some land in the VA and off to the side of the main house was the old family plot. It did not affect my liking of the land at all. It is still on the list.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Was she already dead when he buried her? If not, I can see why he wants her to stay down there.

I saw a nice deal on some land in the VA and off to the side of the main house was the old family plot. It did not affect my liking of the land at all. It is still on the list.

That reminds me of a story about a bus full of politicians on the way to a convention. They were running late, so the driver was pushing pretty hard on a crooked rural highway and lost control in a curve. A passer-by reported the accident to the police and a while later a state trooper arrived on the scene. All he could find was a farmer in a field leveling dirt with this tractor, so he walked over to the farmer, who paused in his work. The trooper stated that there had been a report that the bus full of politicians had crashed there. The farmer replied that this was correct, but there was no need for concern as he had already buried all of them. The trooper replied, "They were ALL dead?" The farmer answered, "Some of them said they weren't, but you know how those politicians lie."

Top Bottom