• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shadow

AKA: Uncle Shadow
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    In the shadows
    Have any of you ever had any trouble like this? My AK is firing one round ,ejecting the shell and loading the next,,but not resetting the trigger. If you pull the slide back it will set the trigger every time. At first i thought it was a gas issue ,maybe not pushing the slide all the way back enough to reset trigger,,,,but this is not it,,i had taken the top cover off and put strips of tape across slide area ,to see how far the slide was moving ,,,,it always jamed (pushed ) the tape all the way back to the end.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Have any of you ever had any trouble like this? My AK is firing one round ,ejecting the shell and loading the next,,but not resetting the trigger. If you pull the slide back it will set the trigger every time.

Sounds like one of the legs of the hammer spring has come off the "tail" of the trigger where it should sit. Pop off the dustcover, remove the bolt carrier group and take a look, LMK what you see.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    Which receiver are you using? You could have a loose slide to receiver/rail fit(or high rails if the receiver was bent from a flat) allowing the carrier to ride up too high during function. remove the recoil spring and check by seeing how much wobble there is in the carrier as it slides on the rails. Also check it by pulling up and hand functioning the action.

Steve

Shadow

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    In the shadows
    boman---i have tryed this and it still sets the trigger, or catchs it like it should. this is why i am at witts end,,lol. Im all most wondering if it aint the shooter ,,me or anyone ,not letting go of the trigger fast enough?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    With the top cover off, and you are absolutely sure there is no round in the chamber, pull the trigger to release the hammer.

While holding the trigger back, pull the slide all the way back and release it. Again, do not release the trigger. Check to see that the disconnector is securely holding the hammer. Make sure it has a good contact and not just bearly holding it.

Next, slowly release the trigger to allow the hammer move into the trigger catch. Make sure that the trigger captures the hammer securely.

A disconnector that doesn't catch the hammer on recoil could cause the problem. A trigger catch that does not catch the hammer on trigger release could be the problem.

Make sure that both disconnector and trigger catches securely grab the hammer.

Lanser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Evansville
    Have you tried waiting a tad longer while the bolt cycles before letting up on the trigger? Mine won't reset if I just rapidly pull-release, I have to hold it back briefly while the bolt completes some of the cycle, presumably until after it's pushed the hammer all the way down.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    It sound like your hammer is riding the bolt forward because the disconnector is not holding the hammer until the trigger is in position to catch the hammer.
    If you do the test that indykid suggested that will show the problem.
    Be sure to get this problem fixed, if you have ammo with soft primers it could cause a multiple fire with only one pull of the trigger. The BATF could view this as a illegal machine gun.

boman---i have tryed this and it still sets the trigger, or catchs it like it should. this is why i am at witts end,,lol. Im all most wondering if it aint the shooter ,,me or anyone ,not letting go of the trigger fast enough?
    It does not make any difference how fast or how slow you release the trigger, it should always hold the trigger.

Last edited:

Shadow

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    In the shadows
    100_0139JPG

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    You haven't gone blind, Shadow has the new Red X edition commerating the date in 1947 when Mr. Kalashnikov brought his rifle to the Supreme Soviet and they rejected it!

Sorry Shadow, couldn't resist, and if you knew me you would understand! ;)

omega88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Terre Haute
    If you go to the Nodak Spud web site, nodakspud.com ,there is a page that shows you what you need to do to modify your Hammer and disconecter interface in order to properly reset the hammer. what specific model of AK do you have,? and is the trigger group original to the rifle,? or is this a parts gun build ?

Shadow

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    In the shadows
    First off i want to thank you all for your help (and yes even you indykid ,,new red edition,lol) . I took the rifle out last night and tryed different things and took pictures on the different positions the trigger works was doing (but i cant seem to get them to load on here @$@##!%. Tonight i will try the fix i seen on the nodakspud site and test fire it again. From what i am seeing you are all right ,,the disconector is not holding the hammer . omega88 i have a chinesse (i know its spelled wrong ) 56S it has a triangle with 66 in it.

Redemption

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    This sounds like it could be the result of an un-notched selector switch. Is the selector switch holding the disconnector down when it is in the fire position?
    On an AK, the switch is all the way at the bottom on semi and half way between "safe" and semi when it is in full auto. In full auto, the selector switch holds the rear of the disconnector down not allowing it to grab the hammer when the trigger is depressed. Hence, on many kits and most if not all import rifles, you will see a notch cut out on the internal part of the selector.....this to keep them from being used as full auto fire control selectors.

The problem can arise on kit rifles where the selector is not notched and sometimes when it is not done properly, that the selector still holds down the rear of the disconnect when it is in the fire position (all the way down).

The AK features a disconnect and either a single or double hooked trigger depending upon country of origin. In semi auto, the disconnector catches the hammer as it moves backwards after firing, holds it, and releases it into the trigger hooks when pressure is taken off of the trigger. In full auto, the disconnector is held down in the rear and the hammer is not caught by the disconnector but rather by the auto sear which is located in front of the hammer.
    To illustrate how it works, take off the dust cover and perform a few observations. Move the selector to safe, pull the trigger and watch how it holds down the rear of the trigger as well as the disconnector, preventing the hammer from being released.
    Move the selector half way between fire and safe. Observe the selector inside the receiver and how (If not notched, which is improper) it will be either holding down the rear of the disconnector or, (If notched, which is proper) that the notch is right above the rear of the disconnector. Pull the trigger, hold it down, work the bolt and watch how the hammer will follow the bolt (only if there is no notch cut in the selector). :nono: This can cause a slam fire. The selector should be notched if it isn't, so that you don't inadvertently posess an unregistered machine gun. :nono:

What can happens is, due to the sloppy nature of the AK and home builds with receivers that are not properly fitted and tuned to the parts that are installed, you get rifles that have selectors (un-notched) that will hold down the rear of the disconnector when in the fire position (semi).

You can fix this by filing the selector switch right above the rear of the disconnector so that it absolutely will not come into contact with the disconnector no matter what position the selector is at. This should only be done on the left side of the selector (the side opposite of the charging handle and about half way) as you need the right side of the selector to hold down the trigger in the safe position.
    This will keep the trigger from following the bolt and is the only way a rifle should be built. It precludes any chance of the rifle inadvertently firing more than one shot with a single pull of the trigger due to the selector switch.....and a nasty trip to a federal prison.

I hope this wasn't too confusing. I will throw up some pics if it is not clear.:)

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    darn i cant get the pictures on here.

Here is a site that will help you in posting pictures.
    Just upload your pictures & the site will give you a link to post in your with your message on the forum.

TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Just thinking about your problem, and wondering does your disconector have a tail on it? I know it does not need to be a full-auto to have a tail on it. I have bought semi FCGs that have a tail on them, I always cut them off. But if you have one of these and a full-auto selector(totally legal combination), this could be causing your problem. You could do one of two things to solve the problem, cut the tail off the disconector, or cut a notch in the selector just over the disconector.

Top Bottom