• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • p0sitive1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Evansville
    I've been checking out AKs, and thinking about getting one. So, aside from being able to take the double stack mags, what should I be looking for? Are the $800 ones better quality than the $600 ones? Romanian, Chinese, Egyptian?? I like the folding stocks, but not sure what to look for there either.

GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    It's funny how you mention all three of those since I own one of each. I prefer to factory built AK's rather rather than ones built from a parts kit like the Romanians. If you're looking for pure function all of them will work. I think Century can be hit or miss in quality if you do not know what to look for.

For the Century's (Romanians) you need to look out for front sight/gas tube cant, extreme mag wobble, and other acts of stupidity. I know someone who bought a WASR 10/65 that the trigger group was installed wrong and would fire in safe. It was an easy fix but still.

The only side folders you're likely to find will be the Tapcos, I doubt you'll find a wire folder easily.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    For the Century's (Romanians) you need to look out for front sight/gas tube cant, extreme mag wobble, and other acts of stupidity.

Otherwise known as "drunk monkeys' revenge" :): With WASRs now going for $500+, it's a relatively short jump (and well worth it) to get into a much better built weapon like a Yugo M70, professionally converted Saiga, or a good kit build like these:
    AK47 Rifle with Black Poly Stock G47
    Lancaster Consulting AK 47 w/ Black Poly Furniture

The only side folders you're likely to find will be the Tapcos, I doubt you'll find a wire folder easily.

You can find the Romanian single-strut sidefolders online pretty easily; they run about $65-75 and are a direct replacement for the factory wood stock (requires no mods to the gun). You could also go with the Galil-pattern sidefolder from ACE, using either the internal (cut the tang) or external mounting block. The ACE setup is more expensive, but is also a much more comfortable stock and has several length options available.

p0sitive1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Evansville
    A guy at gun show last wkend had two for sale at $600 each. 1 was 7.62x39 with steel folding stock, other was 5.54x39 with a different steel folder. Didn't buy because I didn't know what I was looking at.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Any Arsenal ak would be #1(but over 1000.00 at this point).
    My second choice would be an Egyptian Maddi. I have had 5 different ones over the years(and still have one),as a general rule very nice quality ak.
    Third would be the Mac-90 norinco, a few of these had horrible trigger slap but that can be fixed for 20 dollars with an American made trigger group.
    Then Rommanian. I have had a few,and though they never have ftf or have i had any real problems with one they are very loose in the spec department.You will not get much accuracy out of one(6 in groups at 100 yards...maybe lol).

Last edited:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I have owned many of them and they function the same so long as the sights are not canted or body mismade. That is to say, my CAI yugo runs just as nice as my Krebs, only because it is a particularly nice CAI. I have owned several others that had manufacturing mistakes and they ran fine, but had to use scopes and red-dots.

Of the low end ones, the yugo's tend to be better built. I could not be happier with mine. I spent $500 on it before the crazy times and it has never failed me. The $1000 Arsenal was broken out of the box and had to be repaired before the first shot fired. So learn about what to look out for and you will be fine with a low end AK if money is a factor.

As for folders, they are cool looking and nice for storage, but not as nice to shoot. This is especially true of the underfolders. I love mine, but it is not compfy at all.

AK's are a hoot to shoot. I always take mine with me to the range no matter what else I am going with. It is just too fun not to shoot!

shift74

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    Indianapolis/Wanamaker
    I have had WASR, SAR, and M70ab2. Finish best on M70 and worst on WASR. All shot reliably. None will usually be as accurate as AR. The folding stock was scary to shoot at first. Was a little nervous would receive black eye but did not. Was not to bad. SAR had serious trigger slap which was very noticeable after lots of shooting. Trigger slap easily fixed with dremel. WASR and SAR get chrome barrel. M70's mostly do not. Some people care some dont. If clean gun after shooting not really a problem.

Charles Church

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Andrews, IN
    I have my Romanian WASR-10, and it doesnt have any problems, no trigger slap what-so-ever(Then again, i'm not even sure it's an American trigger group!), magazine wobble is very little to none, and the front sight has the slightest cant, but not a big deal! I do not have an American receiver on it, it has the original Romanian one, and like I said, I don't even think it has an American trigger! A couple of my friends also have Romanian WASR-10's, and they have Century Arms receivers, and TAPCO triggers(I know they are TAPCO, because it says it right one it :P), but my trigger doesnt have any company name on it or anything! And, as far as i know(with what serial numbers are on it), it's all matching. It does not have a chrome barrel(my friends does, Romanian Police issue chrome lined barrel, REALLY nice!). As for other versions, i haven't had any experiance with them, and, i guess my luck with my AK is a one in a million(literally) chance.

Top Bottom