• ...and so much more!
  • Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Thanks, warthog! Looks even better now :D Someday I'll get the barrel chopped.

WpAWu7O.jpg

Yep, you'll really like it when chopped down. I like mine in both sets of furniture.

2a9MzIU.jpg

JDTov3O.jpg

CarnageRush

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harrison County
    Looks much better:smileak: Let me know if you are interested in parting with the old furniture.
    Can't wait to get my form 4 back on mine. Allen M did the work on mine, and it looks fantastic.

Is he a member here? Is he in Indiana? I'm going to send mine somewhere to have it done. I'm pretty sure it has a gas regulator in it and it's something I don't want to mess with. If I ever sell the old furniture I'll let you know. I like the black furniture with the Bulgarian 4 piece muzzle device and the wood/triangle with the standard 74u booster. I'll probably keep the old furniture so I can play dress up.

Yep, you'll really like it when chopped down. I like mine in both sets of furniture.

Nice! I like the 4 piece with the black furniture.

Since this is a pic thread, here are my Yugos.
    HKpCR38.jpg

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Is he a member here? Is he in Indiana? I'm going to send mine somewhere to have it done. I'm pretty sure it has a gas regulator in it and it's something I don't want to mess with.

Yes, Allen (AllenM) is a member. He's in Avon just West of Indy. He owns Diamond Collision and is in the Advertisers section here on INGO. I've sent several items to Allen and he does great work.
    The gas system on that gun is already set up for the short barrel so chopping it down shouldn't have an impact. It didn't on mine. I did the chop and crown myself, but if you take to Allen he'll do a great job for you.

Picture thread . . . so here are my two Draco shortys. The Micro is an absolute hoot to shoot.

QfxVVJY.jpg

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    The gas system on that gun is already set up for the short barrel so chopping it down shouldn't have an impact.

IF that's an aresnal SLR104 then it depends on when it was made. Early rifles are good, later rifles had an orifice installed in the gas port to limit the gas (they were way over gassed with the long barrel and 'normal' gas port). So if you cut down a rifle with the orifice installed, you typically have to pull the front sight block / gas block off and remove the orifice to get enough gas for reliable operation.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    IF that's an aresnal SLR104 then it depends on when it was made. Early rifles are good, later rifles had an orifice installed in the gas port to limit the gas (they were way over gassed with the long barrel and 'normal' gas port). So if you cut down a rifle with the orifice installed, you typically have to pull the front sight block / gas block off and remove the orifice to get enough gas for reliable operation.

Yup, that was the case with my 104UR and Allen fixed it. You can tell if your rifle has it or not, by looking up the serial #.
    I actually had him do a Form 4 transfer to me, so it has his FFL info engraved on it rather than my personal information. Not a big deal either way, but preferable if I were to ever sell the rifle.
    This is his profile:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/members/allenm.html

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Century is all bad, I still have a couple of SARs and they shoot well. Yeah, they were during the ban but they can be fixed back to regular, I have the parts but haven't gotten around to fixing mine yet.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Century is all bad, I still have a couple of SARs and they shoot well. Yeah, they were during the ban but they can be fixed back to regular, I have the parts but haven't gotten around to fixing mine yet.

Yeah, I have this one listed in the classifieds. I don't expect it to sell. I promised the wife I would give it the college try before making a different purchase.

This one has yet to be fired so who knows ... it might be a good one. If I end up keeping it, what are the issues that I should preemptively address? I've heard about "soft" parts but haven't really researched it much.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County

Big difference in a rifle that Century imported (like your SAR), and one that they built. Your SAR was built by CUGIR in Romania, and should last a lifetime of abuse.

Yeah, I have this one listed in the classifieds. I don't expect it to sell. I promised the wife I would give it the college try before making a different purchase.

This one has yet to be fired so who knows ... it might be a good one. If I end up keeping it, what are the issues that I should preemptively address? I've heard about "soft" parts but haven't really researched it much.

Most common issues are with the bolt and bolt carrier deforming due to them being soft cast part. Pretty contingent on round count, with excessive wear showing at around 1K rounds. In extreme cases, head spacing will move.
    For the guy that plans to look at it more than shoot, they tend to be fine. If you plan to put a lot of rounds down range with it, not the best choice.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Most common issues are with the bolt and bolt carrier deforming due to them being soft cast part. Pretty contingent on round count, with excessive wear showing at around 1K rounds. In extreme cases, head spacing will move.
    For the guy that plans to look at it more than shoot, they tend to be fine. If you plan to put a lot of rounds down range with it, not the best choice.

Sooo ... purchase replacement parts? where? or Just sell the rifle?

This was my first AK purchase. Didn't read up enough on them.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany

Guns have restrictor plates? Who knew?

dtthomps

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2017
    Fishers
    one of my Aks.

untitled%20shoot-004-Edit-2_zps0aiboqil.jpg

untitled%20shoot-001-Edit-2_zpsae0peksa.jpg

Attachments

• untitled shoot-001-Edit-2.jpg
      untitled shoot-001-Edit-2.jpg
      986.2 KB · Views: 13
    • untitled shoot-004-Edit-2.jpg
      untitled shoot-004-Edit-2.jpg
      991.1 KB · Views: 14
    Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    He did an awesome job on it, I would definitely have him do it if you want it converted.

The SLR106UR is a fun rifle. Sold mine and miss it. Next one is going to be an SL107UR for me.

Top Bottom