• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Who's the a-hole?

• You're totally the a-hole.

Votes: 9 27.3%
    • Serves them right. No pancakes for you!

Votes: 13 39.4%
    • At least you had bacon.

Votes: 11 33.3%

• Total voters

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    So we (me, wife, son, daughter)are down in TN at my daughter and SIL's house for Thanksgiving. We all woke up this morning, and I went to the kitchen to get started on breakfast for everyone (6 of us). I get started with 3 lb of thick cut Wrights bacon, make coffee and serve everyone a cup made the way they like, and then move on to making pancakes. As I am making pancakes, I check my daughters pantry for some syrup. Crap, there's just a dribble in the bottom of the bottle, barely enough for one pancake. We are on base at Ft. Campbell, so can't send one of my kids or wife to Commissary since they don't have Military ID. But there's a gas station / convenience store that I can literally see out the kitchen window. I could walk there in less than 5 minutes.

So I ask my wife and 2 kids if anyone can quick go to the convenience store and see if they have any syrup? I can hear crickets. So I wait a few minutes, and ask again. Seriously, can anyone go to the convenience store and see if they have syrup? Here's my keys and my card. I tell them pancakes are going to be ready in about 5 minutes, so there's a time crunch on this. No movement. So I wait another couple minutes and with nobody wanting to look up from their phones long enough to take 5 minutes to get some syrup, I proceeded to throw what pancakes I had made straight in the trash. Wife asks me what I'm doing, and I go off on how I've been up making everyone breakfast, and nobody has the basic courtesy to do me a small favor and get syrup. If nobody wants to help out, then we won't have pancakes.

Shortly thereafter, wife and girls leave to go shopping all day. They get back around 6:00, and wife won't say a word to me. I ask what's up, and she tells me she's in a bad mood because I was being a d**k this morning. She's been stewing on this all day. I ask how this got turned around on me, since they were the ones who were too effing lazy to get off their butts to go 1/8th of a mile down the road to get effing syrup? She still isn't talking to me.

So, am I the a-hole for throwing the pancakes in the garbage?

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I probably would have checked on the syrup supply before starting the pancakes. Since you had them made I agree with Cameramonkey, I would have had one pancake and not cared what the rest had for breakfast. Jim.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I chose "at least you have bacon" because I would have left them on the serving platter and let them figure out they were SOL.

I'd have put one pancake on my plate and used the last of the syrup, then done my best Henny Penny impersonation when they pointed out there wasnt any left.
    This.

Yes, you were the a-hole.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Generally when people stew on things it’s because they’re trying to figure out a way to not be at fault. When they can’t get around them being the problem, they get mad. I don’t blame you, but I can be petty.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Sounds like your feelings were hurt and had a “throw the pancakes in the garbage” tantrum. “I’ll show them!” They don’t appreciate me, no pancakes for anyone!

Yes, you set the tone for the day.

We still love ya though.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    You were not wrong. Personally, I would have checked first before commiting to pancakes but I grew up poor. My mom would always preach about knowing what is / isn't available in the pantry / food stores before you get your mind "set" on anything. We would have to make do with what little we had...

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    According to my wife who enjoys the AITA Reddit, there are three normal results to an AITA poll:

YTA - You’re the a**hole

NTH - Not the a**hole

ESH - Everyone sucks here

After reading her the OP story, she declared that the appropriate result is ESH - Everyone sucks here. Also, apparently, the only acceptable snarky response would have been to serve the pancakes, but to use ALL of the remaining syrup yourself. That would have adequately driven the point home without delving completely into a**holedom.

Top Bottom