• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbhargan

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Aug 30, 2012
    Carmel/Liberty
    I have a friend who has the misfortune to have a stucco house. A woodpecker has taken an interest in seeing how many holes he can bore in the stucco. After trying a number of non-lethal means of driving off the bird he is now considering shooting it. Given his lack of shooting skills, his best bet would probably be a 12 gauge with #9 pellet's (one large hole instead of many little holes), however given that he is in a densely packed suburban neighborhood, that is not an option.

Can anyone suggest a CO2 powered .177 air rifle that could do the job? He will definitely need a scope.

Thanks.

Dwight

Marksman
    Apr 24, 2011
    Sheridan
    I have a friend who has the misfortune to have a stucco house. A woodpecker has taken an interest in seeing how many holes he can bore in the stucco. After trying a number of non-lethal means of driving off the bird he is now considering shooting it. Given his lack of shooting skills, his best bet would probably be a 12 gauge with #9 pellet's (one large hole instead of many little holes), however given that he is in a densely packed suburban neighborhood, that is not an option.

Can anyone suggest a CO2 powered .177 air rifle that could do the job? He will definitely need a scope.

Thanks.
    Many air gun options will work. Even a break barrel Gamo will do a fine job…

But I gotta try to be a good forum friend and give you heads up. Double check Carmel’s ordinances because I believe they prohibit discharge of any type of projectile. A nosy neighbor that loves wildlife could make a stink.

Many city ordinances in Hamilton county even prevent shooting bow and arrow in city limits. Also, very important to double check what type of bird you are dealing with. Most woodpeckers are protected and probably don’t want to be talking about “problem solving” on a public forum.

Please know I’m just tying to help. Hope it all works out because pests like that are a pain in the backside for sure! IANAL

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Oct 9, 2010
    I'm assuming CO2 is motivated by the need for quietness without large expense. I would look at something like the Diana Chaser with the optional rifle stock:

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/diana-chaser-co2-air-rifle-kit?m=4613

The Chaser/stormrider/trailscout/bandit/Airbug line are decent quality guns that don't break the bank, fun to shoot, good triggers for the price, light in weight, 11mm optics rail, repeaters with no pumping, and the Chasers use simple, readily-available 12g cylinders. These guns all share the same magazine system. I think Diana really hit it out of the park when they came out with this line of guns.

For what it's worth, I bought a refurb Trailscout when they had them for $99, and couldn't be happier with it. It's not a high end airgun, but is as fun as a barrel of monkeys, has a great trigger and shot sensation for the price, the repeat action works smoothly, and it's great for people without a PCP compressor who don't want to pump. The Chaser kit has the advantage of being convertible to a pistol, also. My T/S uses 3 12g. cylinders simultaneously for about 100 shots with consistent velocity, and I have found that it holds a charge when left unattended for a while. I don't have a need for that, but if you want a gun platform that can be left "at the ready" for when varmints call, it would do that.

"Lack of shooting skills" and "densely packed suburban neighborhood" are not a good combination, but I'm sure you knew that. But regular sessions with one of these could remedy at least the first problem :whistle:

Last edited:

dieselrealtor

Master
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Woodpeckers are usually going after the bugs inside what they are pecking at and bugs are usually drawn to moisture. So by the time ol' Woody shows up it's usually a sign that moisture has been getting in and rot has begun. Been there, fixed that.

I think sometimes they do it to nest as well, my dad had issues with some on rough sawn cedar on his house some time ago. Dry climate, no bugs or moisture.

They were getting in the attic & really did some damage, they picked the boards that were the longest & most expensive to replace.

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    they picked the boards that were the longest & most expensive to replace.
    Of course, right, it's like they know. The wpecker that started on my house was a blessing in disguise. It helped uncover this rot that was caused by a lack of flashing over the cedar skirt board. Dried it out, repaired & added flashing, WP has never returned.
    1698201148233.png

gassprint1

Expert
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Build a little house type thing and put it where the wp is active. It might go in it. Rig up a trap door to catch it and relocate it to a nice wood area

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    My garage had a drilled hole about an inch in diameter through the wall. It was there when I bought the place and the
    hole obviously had something going through it at one time. A woodpecker started pecking to make the hole bigger.
    I hung the rounded end of a ball peen hammer in the hole on the inside. Next day the ball peen hammer was on the floor
    inside and the woodpecker never came back.

rbhargan

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Aug 30, 2012
    Carmel/Liberty
    Update to address some of the issues/concerns others have brought up:
    - My friend is in a different State, but I would be surprised if there were not local ordnances prohibiting the discharge of any weapon - hence the need for quiet.
    - The woodpecker is not going after the wood, but is attacking the stucco portion of his home. Possibly looking to make a nest, rather than going after bugs.
    - I did not know that Woodpeckers had Federal protection - not that my friend would care. Damage to the house is damage to the house.

I always thought stucco houses looked nice, but after hearing my friend's tales of woe maintaining them, I am glad I live in a brick house. :-)

Hkindiana

Master
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    The woodpecker would not be looking at making a nest this time of year. There must be something in or under the stucco that is attracting him. Solve that problem and the woodpecker will go away. Don’t treat the problem, and the woodpecker will just be replaced by another, no matter how many times you eliminate it

CindyE

Master
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Like others have said, need to find the real reason the woodpecker is going after that house. Maybe put up a feeder that woodpeckers prefer? They like suet and peanuts.

Top Bottom