• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Flintlock, I just looked at your profile and realized you're quite a young man. Even though there have been holes in your argument, you write and argue well enough I thought you were quite a bit older. I apologize for what can only be called condenscion in what I'm about to say. You are studying the middle east and therefore you have to open up your mind, and you're exploring different ways of looking at the world. I think you're caught up a little in the trees and leaves, and I've been arguing forest. The argument mistakes you're making here are the mistakes of a young guy exploring the world.

I commend you for posting in this forum and I hope you keep testing your ideas in the fire. You're arguing with some guys who love to argue, have been doing it for years, and in the case of at least one of the people arguing, do it for a living if I've read his profile correctly.

Again, I thought you were older (which speaks highly of you) or I wouldn't have come at you so hard.

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    I'm done with CarmelHP. Thanks for the negative rep and the "********" comment. You've shown your true colors. You are stooping to personal attacks now and I'm not going to justify any of that with a response. And you will think I have given up and you, the big bad lawyer, have won but trust me, I have not given up. You can use whatever techniques you want, but I'm not going to justify your asshattery with anymore of a response.

Dross, it's understandable, but trust me, I'm not caught up in trees and leaves. I've seen enough of the world to know. To be honest, I'm probably half your age, but I've seen more than a lot of people double my age. So while you may think I simply refuse to believe there is "bad" in the world, you are mistaken. An event like 9/11 impacted you the same way it has impacted me. It may have taken longer for it to sink in on me, but it has. Just as it has on you. I think I am safe in assuming that you and I alike get fighting mad when we think back on that day. When it comes down to it, I'm simply arguing the conclusions I have come to through my experiences and studies. Yeah, it's limited, yeah, it's not everything, but it's the conclusion I have come to through first hand experience. I do agree with you that there are plenty of Muslims who hate America and the rest of the non Muslim world and would love to see it burn, but then again there are those who love Americans and did not celebrate after 9/11.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I'll weigh in on this, as dangerous as it may be...

Islam is not the only religion with a lot of blood on its legacy. The Catholic Church also has a bloody legacy. Just spend some time researching the Crusades and the Spanish Inquisition. Also research the Muslim leader Saladin, and you'll read about a much admired (even in Europe) Muslim leader in the Crusades.

Now to modern times...

One of my biggest problems with the Muslim world (of today) is the deafening silence regarding violent fundamentalists and their acts of terror. I think the rift that exists between modern Christianity and Islam could be somewhat healed if Muslim leaders would come out strongly against terrorism. All we usually get is half-hearted statements followed by the "don't blame us we didn't do it" message. Where is their outrage? Why don't they march in the streets against terrorism?

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana

Islam is not the only religion with a lot of blood on its legacy. The Catholic Church also has a bloody legacy. Just spend some time researching the Crusades and the Spanish Inquisition. Also research the Muslim leader Saladin, and you'll read about a much admired (even in Europe) Muslim leader in the Crusades.

Now to modern times...

One of my biggest problems with the Muslim world (of today) is the deafening silence regarding violent fundamentalists and their acts of terror. I think the rift that exists between modern Christianity and Islam could be somewhat healed if Muslim leaders would come out strongly against terrorism. All we usually get is half-hearted statements followed by the "don't blame us we didn't do it" message. Where is their outrage? Why don't they march in the streets against terrorism?

+1

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy

Now to modern times...

Lets talk about the last 100 years and it's not even close.... blood flows in the streets of Muslim countries.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel

Already have, the Crusades were a much delayed response to 300 years of Muslim aggression.

Now to modern times...

Because, very, very, very many support it according to the Pew studies. The number going down only after the West, particularly the United States, went on the offense (funny how that works). And those are only the Muslims willing to admit it to poll takers.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Look around the world today and a majority of the conflicts involve Muslims. Even those who speak to the media with a moderate tone are then caught speaking elsewhere about the destruction of the west and killing of the infidel.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO

Now to modern times...

It's interesting that the crusades and then inquisition always come up. With the inquisition you had a short and relatively small-scale event that by it's very uniqueness illustrates that it was an unusual event in Christianity.

As to the crusades, what's accepted and "what everybody knows" doesn't quite hold up to the truth. If you look at the history of the area, "the holy land" or "palestine" or whatever word you want to use, was held by Christians before it was held by Muslims. You're talking about a piece of land that had been changing hands by force since before the written word. The fact that the Muslims happened to hold it at a particular point someone has made it become "theirs" even though it had been held by Christians since before Islam was.

Putting that aside, the reason for the first crusades was the atrocities committed against Christian travelers. This became so common it was the fuel that created the political will to launch the crusades.

I find it fascinating that the Muslims take the area by force, then a short period later the Christians take it by force, but somehow it's a black mark on Christianity, and the Muslims become victims.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Overall it is the extremist who control the message, with the moderates afraid to speak up, because they themselves could be labeled Infidels and executed.
    It's funny how people will try to defend the religion, when it is those of that religion that threaten anyone not of the same belief.
    Take for example the Dutch Cartoon. We all know the response to that, Death warrant issued for the artist, riots and mayhem. Where was the condemnation of this action by the moderates?
    If an artist depicts Christ or Christianity in a similar manner, we don't see the same reaction. No Priest or Minister calling for the death of the artist and offering a reward for such. What would be the response of the Christian community if one actually did such a thing? My guess is he would no longer be in a position to lead followers. When I see Islam treat their fanatics the same way then I might start to think they are finally getting it. Until that time however, I will continue to read what they say and watch what they do.
    Flintlock I would suggest you read the Koran. By doing so you learn what they are taught and what they believe in. I found this, it is a bit long but sheds some light on what they believe and a timeline of how we got here. Also of note in the Koran if one verse (Sura) conflicts with another the latter verse takes precedent.

Christian/Muslim Time-Line: Between Confrontation and Co-operation
    I. The Emergence of Islam
    A. Saudi Arabian Peninsula

1. Islam emerged in Arabia, a region once hemmed in by the Christian Byzantine Empire and the Jewish influenced Persian Empire.

2. For Islam to spread outside the Arabian Peninsula, confrontation with these Empires was inevitable.

3. Early conflict with pagan Mecca, then the Jewish and finally Christian tribes of Arabia, led to the formation of Jihad as a strategy for war against non-Muslims.

4. Fighting therefore became the legitimate method of spreading Islam.

II. Conquest
    A. 635 - Damascus Falls
    B. 636 - Syria Falls
    C. 638 - Jerusalem Falls
    D. 642 - Egypt Falls
    E. 652 - Persian Empire
    F. 697 - Carthage Falls
    G. 711 - Reach the Indus
    H. 713 - Spain Falls
    I. 846 - In Rome the Churches of St. Peter and St. Paul were looted
    J. By the Great God, if I were not stopped by this raging sea, I would go on to the nations of the West, preaching the unity of Thy Name putting to the sword those would not submit.’: The exclamation of Ukba (The Rebuke of Islam, W.H.T Gairdner)

III. Hakim the ‘Mad Caliph’
    A. Al Hakim was the Shia Fatimid ruler in Egypt from 996-1021
    B. Hakim was known for his cruelty and particularly his persecution of Christians and the destruction of thousands of churches.
    C. This culminated in the burning of the Church of the Holy Sepulcher in 1010
    D. Onslaught on the Christians in the Holy Lands: A precursor to the Crusades

IV. The Rise of the Ottoman Empire and the Christian Counter-Offensive
    A. 732 - The Battle of Tours, France: 100 years after the death of Muhammad, this defeat in France is the first setback to the Muslim conquests which were threatening Western Europe.
    B. 1034 - Spanish Balance of Power Shifts Towards the Christians.
    1. The Muslim Empire becomes divided and weak and is under attack from the Turks.
    2. Christian Europe begins to rise in prosperity.
    C. 1096 - The Crusades: Begin in an attempt to recapture lands lost to the Muslims, as a response to the burning of the Holy Sepulcher, the persecution of Christians and the threat that the Muslim circling of Europe poses.
    D. 1492 - The Last Muslim City in Spain Falls
    1. The Muslims were completely defeated with the fall of Grenada to the Catholic King of Castile ending 8 centuries of Muslim rule.
    2. The Treaty of Grenada was ratified. It had 67 Articles providing for tolerance for the Muslims left in Spain.
    3. However, after a series of rebellions, Muslims were given the choice of conversion of exile from Spain
    4. The Ottoman Empire accepts Jewish exiles from Spain, however not to a position of equality but as tax paying second class citizens
    E. 1529 & 1623 - Muslim Defeat at Vienna
    F. 1565 - The Muslims Defeated at Malta: This defeat prevented Muslims gaining control of the waterways which may have led to the fall of Europe
    G. 15th - 19th Centuries - European Colonialism
    H. 1492 - The Iberian Powers
    I. 1600 - The Dutch Sea Invasion
    1. Confidence and resources in Europe were high due to the Industrial Revolution.
    2. Colonial activity in the Middle East reached its peak at this time, mainly through commercial ventures.
    3. The British acquired large concerns in Egypt and Sudan and in 1820 formed an economic pact with the Gulf region states
    J. 15th - 19th Centuries - European Colonialism
    1. The French intervened in Lebanon in 1860 as it had done since the 1500's on behalf of the Christians who were persecuted under the Druze.
    2. The Russian occupation of Central Asia was accomplished between the invasion of Tashkent in 1865 and the massacre of the Turkmen at Gok-Tepe in 1881.
    3.Except in Khiva and Bukhara, direct military rule was imposed.

K. World War One
    1. The fragmentation of the Ottoman Empire
    2. The end of the Caliphate
    3. Division of the Islamic World into‘spheres of interest’by European powers

L. Post-World War Two
    1. The development of ‘nation states'
    2. Based on Western concepts and institutions

V. Conflict and Co-operation
    A. Anti-Christian Polemics in Islamic Theology
    1. Qur’an
    a. There is a marked difference between the treatment of Jews and Christians between the early Suras of Mecca, revealed when Muhammad was weak, and the later Medinan Suras, revealed after Muhammad had become a political, military and religious leader.
    b. An example of the conciliatory verses of Medina are; Sura 10, verse 94. This verse seems to imply that Muslims should seek help from Jews and Christians, yet later verses deny the truth of these faiths and the honesty of the Christians and Jews. "If thou wert in doubt as to what we have revealed unto thee, then ask those who have been reading the book before thee: The truth hath indeed come to thee from thy Lord: so be in no wise of those in doubt."
    c. Denial of Christian Faith - Sura 4, Verse 157-8: "That they said (in boast) ‘we killed Christ Jesus the son of Mary the apostle of God’: - but they killed him not, nor crucified him but so it was made to appear to them and those who differ are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge but only conjecture to follow, for a surety they killed him not"
    d. Hostility towards Jews and Christians - Sura 5, verse 54: "O ye who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends and protectors: They are but friends and protectors to each other. And he amongst you that turns to them (for friendship) is one of them. Verily God guideth not a people unjust"
    e. Violence Towards Non-Muslims - Sura 9, verse 29: "Fight those who believe not in God nor the last day, nor hold that forbidden by God which hath been forbidden by God and his apostle, nor acknowledge the religion of truth (even if they are) people of the book, until they pay the jizya with willing submission and feel themselves subdued."
    2. Hadith

a. The second source of Islam after the Qur’an.
    b. The life and sayings of Muhammad are regarded as the outworking of the Qur’an and are therefore highly significant.
    c. On his deathbed, Muhammad is reported to have cursed the Christians and Jews: "When the last moment of the life of Allah’s Apostle (peace be upon him) came, he started putting his khamisah (shirt) on his face and when he felt hot and short of breath he took it off his face and said ‘May Allah curse the Jews and the Christians.’ The Prophet (peace be upon him) was warning (Muslims) of what those people had done" Sahih al Bukhari
    d.Muhammad is also reported to have called for the expulsion of non-Muslims from the Arabian Peninsula.
    e.These Hadith and the Qur’anic verses illustrate how Muslims were set up for confrontation with Christians: "Umar heard the messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) say: ‘I will expel the Jews and Christians from the Arabian Peninsula and will not leave any but Muslims" Sahih Muslim
    3. The Development of Polemics
    a. Anti-Christian polemics began to emerge in the Abbasid period: This period lasted from 749-1258 during which time the center of power shifted to Baghdad.
    b. John of Damascus (675-753) was one of the first people to document Muslim-Christian theological encounters. His writings were not confrontational.
    c. Theodore Abu Qurra (740-825) was a very influential writer in polemics. Unlike John, he used dialectics to ‘prove’ Christianity and ‘disprove’ Islam.
    d. Of the Muslim writers, al Gahiz (776-869) is one of the most famous. He wrote the book ‘A Letter on Refuting Christianity’ which was a book for Muslims on how to disprove the claims of Christianity.
    4. Dhimmitude
    a. Umar the Second ‘Rightly Guided Caliph’ Umar carried out the instructions of Muhammad’s final Hadith to expel the Jews and Christians from the Arabian Peninsula. He also extended the conquest outside Arabia, changing the Muslims from a small community to a large colonial one receiving the jizya tax and slaves from new territories.
    b. After the capture of Damascus, the system of dhimmitude was formalized by Umar’s Edict in 634 AD
    c. Among the stipulations in this Edict are:
    (1)Prohibition on construction or repair of churches (obtaining permission from government is still obligatory today in Egypt).
    (2)Prohibition on the outward display of signs of faith, for example wearing or carrying crosses, or ringing bells.
    (3) Houses and clothes of non-Muslims had to be inferior to that of Muslims.
    d. Among the stipulations in this Edict are:
    (1) Non-Muslims were required to stand in the presence of a Muslim, to address them in a subdued manner and to give them the right of way in streets.
    (2) Non-Muslims were not permitted to hold public office.
    (3) Blasphemy against Islam was punishable by death (this is still the case in some Islamic countries today)
    (4) The payment of jizya, the tribute tax
    5. Apostasy
    a. Because Islam is also a political identity, conversion from Islam is viewed as more than just religious defection.
    (1) It is a betrayal of family and nation as well.
    (2) The Qur’an is ambiguous on the punishment for apostasy.
    (3) There is disagreement as to whether punishment is in the afterlife or should be carried out on Earth.
    b. According to the Qur’an, Sura 16, verse 106-7: Anyone who after accepting faith in Allah utters unbelief except under compulsion his heart remaining firm in faith, but such as open their heart to unbelief, on them is wrath from Allah and theirs will be a dreadful penalty.
    c. According to Sunna, leaving Islam is one of the reasons permitting the killing of a Muslim. " .....He (Uthman) asked: ‘Why kill me? I heard the Apostle of Allah (peace be upon him) say: It is not lawful to kill a man who is a Muslim except for one of three reasons; Kufr (disbelief) after accepting Islam, fornication after marriage, or wrongfully killing someone......." Uthman ibn Affan, Abu Dawud 4487
    d. Muhammad is reported to have said: " ....Whoever changes his Islamic religion, then kill him..." Abdullah ibn Abbas, Sahih al Bukhari 9,57.
    6. Spain
    a. Islamic Spain is often seen as an example of Muslim tolerance and cooperation: We must consider that this dialogue was possible only because the Muslims were in a situation of power.
    b. Arab/Islamic culture swamped the Latin-catholic society and jizya was imposed.
    c. In Cordoba from 850-859, many Christians reacted by declaring their faith and denying Muhammad before the authorities: They were executed for blasphemy.
    d. Although debate and dialogue existed, no criticism of Islam was permitted.
    VI. Conflict or Co-operation in the Modern World?
    A. The 20th Century
    1. After the breakdown of the Ottoman Empire, Arab Nationalism begins to rise in its wake.
    2. This new movement inspired ideas of secularism and reformers, for example Muhammad Abduh and Rashid Rida.
    3. 1923-Most Islamic countries are under power of western countries by this time.
    4. The Ottoman Empire has collapsed and replaced with the secular based, European influenced Turkish state.
    5. 1928 Hassan al-Banna establishes the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt.
    6. As the century develops the early embracing of Western ideas and modernity is overwhelmed by the pattern of confrontation: This time manifested in the increase in militant Islam and rejection of Western influence.
    7. Post-war dialogue; The World Council of Churches, The Vatican.
    8. 1969 The Organization of Islamic Conference is founded.
    9. 1979 the Iranian Islamic Revolution
    10. 1980's see increased militant activity in Muslim countries and the Palestinian Intifada.
    11. 1990's see terrorist attacks on western countries and interests increase.
    B. Da’wa
    1. In Arabic this means call or invitation.
    2. Da’wa activities have increased over the years fueled by oil money: Mainly from Saudi Arabia who have set up schools and mosques with the aim of spreading their puritanical wahhabi Islam.
    3. In the West, da’wa has taken the form of the establishment of societies, charitable organizations and educational projects.
    4. This seems innocent but the movements tend to encourage sectarianism and the covert aim is to islamize the West.
    5. Many charitable organizations have links to militants and act as recruiting and fund-raising agents for terrorist activities: For example al Rashid Trust and Wafa Humanitarian Organization
    6. In the late 20th and 21st centuries, political Islam and social movements have replaced religious ideology.
    7. This has permitted social interaction between cultures: It also created the potential for a new type of conflict emanating from inside western society.
    C. Hostility Towards Christians
    1. As regards relations of power, Western countries, perceived as Christian nations, hold the upper hand.
    2. This attacks the Muslim concept of honor.
    3. The situation also attacks Islam, therefore Muhammad and Allah.
    4. According to the Qur’an Sura 3, verse 110: "We [Muslims] are the best of people for mankind. Enjoining what is right, forbidding what is wrong and believing in God...." The sources and history of Islam contain many examples of hostility towards non-Muslims. The attitude is one of superiority as illustrated by the dhimmi system.
    D. The World Trade Center Attack
    1. After the Cold War the USA emerged as the only superpower, therefore:
    a. It is the major dominating force in the Islamic World.
    b. It represents the continuation of the historical confrontation between Christian powers and Muslim powers for dominance.
    2. It was a symbol of America’s financial dominance and therefore significant in the Muslim mind.
    3. It is also significant that is western societies which are being used as platforms for terrorism.
    4. This is not only a physical attack but also an attack on Western culture which is an affront to Islamic culture: By its nature and from its history, Islamic culture feels it should be the dominant culture.
    5. Today, Islam is regrouping and ‘selling itself’ to Muslims and non-Muslims.
    6. But Western countries have become secularized and are experiencing moral spiritual decline.
    7. The attackers were driven by anger regarding:
    a. The presence on “infidel troops” on Muslim “holy land.”
    b. The Palestine-Israeli conflict.
    c. Western/American support of autocratic and corrupt Muslim regimes.
    VII. September 11: The defining moment in Muslim/Christian relations

By Dr. Patrick Sookhdeo

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I am not sure I believe that there are many Muslims who are NOT extremists. That may be a very bigoted thing for me to say, but the religion in itself contradicts those who say it is peaceful.

Saudi Arabia recently had it's head Cleric announce that marriage to girls as young as 10, were legal and moral. Their own prophet, Mohammed, married a 6 yo girl, Aisha, but being the great man of God he was, waited until she was 9 to consummate the marriage.

The Koran teaches death to non-believers, as well as justifies much of the radicals actions:

"Those who make war against God and his apostle . . . shall be put to death or crucified"

"O true believers, when you encounter the unbelievers, strike off their heads."

Beating women is A-OK:

"Men have authority over women because God has made the one superior to the other, and because they spend their wealth to maintain them. Good women are obedient. They guard their unseen parts because God has guarded them. As for those from whom you fear disobedience, admonish them and send them to beds apart and beat them. Then if they obey you, take no further action against them. Surely God is high, supreme."

This is what the Terrorists are to expect in paradise:

"As for the righteous, they shall surely triumph. Theirs shall be gardens and vineyards, and high- bosomed virgins for companions: a truly overflowing cup."

And from
    'Perfumed Garden' by Abu Nuwas:

O the joy of sodomy!
    So now be sodomites, you Arabs.
    Turn not away from it--
    therein is wondrous pleasure.
    Take some coy lad with kiss-curls
    twisting on his temple
    and ride as he stands like some gazelle
    standing to her mate.
    A lad whom all can see girt with sword
    and belt not like your whore who has
    to go veiled.
    Make for smooth-faced boys and do your
    very best to mount them, for women are
    the mounts of the devils

Enough said!

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    This was the part of your first post where you took a different direction than the original poster. He posted an article about a Taliban atrocity, several people commented, and then you decided to lecture about not judging all of Islam for the acts of a few extremists, which as far as I could see, no one had done. You called the posts that came before this, baseless bashing, but unless I missed it (and maybe I did) I didn't see anyone bashing Islam generally, until you made this post, after which CarmelHP and I began to argue that Islam in general has blood on its hands.

I don't think anyone here has said that Muslims are all terrorists. I don't know of any prominent person in the West who said that. You say the overwhelming majority like Americans, just not our government. Okay, I don't know if that's true or not, but even so, I have a hard time with a group of people the majority of whom approved the 911 attacks.

You took the thread off its original course when you began to lecture about Islam, now you call foul on someone who brings something else in to counter your point. These threads often wander a little, I think you should defend the statements you made about AQ, even if that wasn't part of the original thread.

Really? Lets look at 3 out of the first 6 posts, before Flintlock posted:

Religion of peace my ass. Total disregard for human life.

Oh, just them wacky peaceful Muslims for ya'.

what do the idiots in washington think will happen when they empower taliban types here in America? Most of the washington elite would lose their heads. Does Barney Frank think that he would be safe under sharia law? does the openly gay DHS secretary napolatano think that the islamists will treat her well? Are are these fools so angry at those with "Judeo-Christian" values that they are willing to be beheaded to spite the Church? Or are they just that stupid to believe it is a "peaceful culture" as Barry Hussien Obama tells them? Or are they so arogant to think they can be protected in washington as they use the islamists to attack the heart of the country?

Those look like a pretty general bashing of Islam to me.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    I guess Christianity & Judaism are also violent & brutish religions, then so must be their followers:

Cruelty and Violence

There's a saying; people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

That site has references to violence & brutality in both the old & new testaments.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    I guess Christianity & Judaism are also violent & brutish religions, then so must be their followers:

Cruelty and Violence

That site has references to violence & brutality in both the old & new testaments.

True while there is violence in the Bible the way followers choose to live their lives today has much to do with Religion. Christianity does not allow it's extremists to speak for the whole. Violence is not taught in Christian schools. You really want to go here finity?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Really? Lets look at 3 out of the first 6 posts, before Flintlock posted:

Those look like a pretty general bashing of Islam to me.

Flintlock accused the posters of calling all Muslims terrorists, which no one had done. I mentioned Islam bashing, more accurately I should have said Muslims, or people of Islam.

That said, I think it's pretty hard to argue that Islam doesn't encourage violence.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO

Cruelty and Violence

The difference is that the teachings of Christianity are opposed to violence, whereas the teachings of Islam promote it.

Top Bottom