• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    I have a really expensive (for me) new pistol and before I send it out to have the slide milled I need to make a decision on the footprint.

I *want* to go with the Acro, honestly, for looks. I trust aimpoints red dots on rifles - but I've seen so so so many negative reviews about either battery life issues still occurring, electronic issues, and especially some mystery stuff appearing inside the optic.

The obvious choice is to just go with a Holosun 509T as they're certainly bomb proof and it's near impossible to find negative reviews on.

I know looks are stupid to really care about but, I mean, I'm only human.

How have you Acro P2 owners liked yours? Issues? I saw one guy on arfcom who claimed he had bought 9 for different pistols and I think he said only 3 were GTG out the box and the others all had to be warrantied one or more times - but eventually they all became good ones.

I just don't like the idea of buying one on a gamble that I'll have to RMA it and hope I get a better one. I like my projects to get finished as soon as possible and have no hiccups these days with the way things are looking.

(Just flame me and tell me to buy the 509t because looks are dumb)

Edit:

Or get the enclosed RMR and hope it's at least as good as the original RMR?

Last edited:

mike4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I have a P1, no issues except the poor choice of an oddball battery with inadequate energy capacity. I bought a pile of the oddball batteries to where their shelf life will probable expire before I run through all of them, although right now it's not on a continuous standby pistol so I'm not leaving it constant on.

I have heard of various P2 issues, which is just plain stupid of Aimpoint, because that is how you erode a well-earned reputation. I think the longer they go the more undocumented production tweaks they will have made due to analysis of returns to improve reliability. They do have an incentive to reduce their warranty cost, esp. the labor cost dealing with them.

I will say the ACRO dovetail is the most mechanically robust slide mounting system in the known Universe (so just this planet really). Of course the RMR pattern is the most common, but the small hardware is really weak for such a high-G application. The new Trijicon enclosed optic has a Rube Goldberg attachment mechanism that is a crime against the entire field of mechanical engineering. Direct machining a slide for the ACRO dovetail and it's simple single cross bolt is the most robust mounting solution, although it does pretty much lock you into an Aimpoint. They should be pushing their dovetail with a $0 license to others, like I think Magpul did with M-LOK.

My next pistol optic will be upgrading the P1 to a P2, and after that direct-machining another Glock slide for a P2.

The consolation prize for the Aimpoint gamble is it is the most modular mount where you can easily swap one out with a single Torx screw and you only need to rezero. Really no different than changing a screw-attached mount or accessory on a 1913 rifle rail.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I have a P-2 and a Steiner MPS. I like both, but I like the P-2 a little more due to the rounded housing. We ordered 20 of them at work and have not had any issues. I'm also getting decent battery life out of it so far, but they haven't been around long enough to say if the battery life will be as long as their other optics. The RCR above would be another good choice, but again, it hasn't been around long.

Despite having an EPS Carry, I still avoid Holosun if possible. They just happen to make the only closed emitter for smaller handguns.

Patched

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 4, 2021
    Lake County
    I have a P-2. Well built optic - and my eyes (with astigmatism) like the dot. I've had no issues with it. The mount system certainly appears robust. My only complaint is the size - I have no hope of concealing it on my carry pistol. That's why I bought a closed red dot.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Well I sure wouldn't get it for the looks as I think it looks like dog crap, but if I was putting it on a duty gun that is what I would go with. If carry gun that monster gets a big heck no from me. If competition gun I am going SRO or Holosun 507 Comp.

Top Bottom