• ...and so much more!
  • jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I attended the Revere's Riders Basic Rifle 125 (rimfire) Zionsville, IN May 7 - 8, 2022 event. I didn't take any pictures, so a text only description will have to suffice. The class is described in part on the Revere's Riders site as:

"Rifle 125 includes classroom and range time learning to shoot rifles. This class starts at 25 yards on a “1000 inch range” which allows us to rapidly teach students how to land consistent hits. Students learn:​
    Rules for safe gun handling & range rules​
    Shooting fundamentals: Five steps to firing each shot​
    Natural Point of Aim​
    Shooting from the prone, standing and sitting/kneeling positions to include use of the sling​
    Introduction to Sight Adjustments and basic calculation of minutes of angle at 25 yards​
    ...​
    This is our signature offering, based on traditional American riflecraft that teaches “Hits Count!” It is appropriate for a wide breadth of student skill levels. This course lays a sound foundation for students to shoot ~5 MOA groups under time pressure from a variety of practical field positions. Most shooting will be at 25 yards, so a rimfire rifle is just fine."​
    The course was hosted on a Zionsville residents personal range. The owner was exceedingly gracious as the class proceeded to muddy and rut his range in the sodden conditions after nearly a solid week of rain. All had a good time with plenty of banter as we sloshed through the mud back and forth to the target line. Everyone was happy there was sunshine and a nice breeze, the mud didn't bother us a bit.

This student, while a shooter, had not shot any competition rimfire and no rifle fire from other than a bench or standing off hand in approximately 45 years. I viewed the course as an opportunity to do things I had not had the opportunity to do since adolescence, and hopefully learn new skills. In reality the course turned into a fire hose of information, largely of my own making, as I shot the course with the only bolt action in the class, and came poorly prepared.

My firearm was a roughly 1950 manufacture Mossberg 46b with an inexpensive Simmons scope replacing the original that I could barely make out the cross hairs on. The gun is accurate, but when working against the clock I was seriously disadvantaged against my classmates who were all running semi-auto firearms. I had installed a spare 1907 sling on the rifle, but fortunately also brought a more modern web GI sling.

The instructional staff was both plentiful and excellent. @TheJoker was one of the cadre. Unfortunately my poor name recall didn't retain some of our other INGO members who were part of the Cadre of Instructors, for this I apologize.

Day one consisted of the safety brief, sling set up and use, and introduction to the three positions we would shoot, Standing, Sitting, and Prone. I quickly realized how little I remembered from my Scouting youth, and how unprepared I was. I realized that with the preparation time constraints and the difficulty I was having obtaining a proper setup with the 1907 sling, the GI web sling was a better option.

As soon as I first went to the Prone position I recognized I had another and more serious problem. In the Prone position the scope was FAR too aft, with a soda straw view through the scope shadow. (This is when I hung my head in shame as I recognized I had never taken the simple step of stepping through the positions with the sling attached while at home) The Instructors were understanding and worked with me. Eventually I decided that there was no option and during a break loosed the scope and moved it forward. As expected there was a huge POI / POA shift, but at least I could see more of the target. I finished the first days course of fire using "Kentucky windage and Tennessee elevation" hold offs. Not exactly a precision enhancing method.

Day one was an excellent learning experience and taught me many things about my equipment and knowledge. Most of it quite humbling... After class I ran to Tim's Shooting Academy and re-zeroed the scope.

Day two started with a safety brief, and drier conditions with less mud. (interestingly, none of the class could figure out how the high ground was the wettest...) The day started, as the first, with the "Morgan's 13". If the participant desired, they could start with a cold bore shot on a 1.125X.5 inch target at 25yds representing Mr. Morgan's board to earn a spot in Morgan's Rifles. I managed to make the cold bore shot, nearly centered, as did two of my classmates.

Day two continued with additional instruction and reinforcement of the fundamentals, as well as repeated iterations of the 25 yard 40 round qualifier course of fire. I continued to progress, and eventually achieved an Expert level with a 45 of 50. Any pride was quickly crushed when a classmate running iron sights achieved Master!

After lunch we had the opportunity to move back to 50, 75, and eventually 100 yards. I was frankly surprised at the amount of drop in the Aguila 40gr Cu plated 22LR I was shooting. I never punched data into my ballistic app, but the demonstrated drop at 50 was 2+ inches, over 4 inches at 75 and nearing 8 inches at 100. I, and all of my classmates, quickly learned our hold overs and were able to make effective hits at the longer ranges.

There are not enough words to express the gratitude I have for our Zionsville host Brad. He opened his private range and out buildings to us and participated the first day. He proved to be just what you would expect from a fellow shooter. Generous and caring with a desire to spread the gospel of safe firearms use, marksmanship, and fellowship with other patriots.

Our Cadre of Instructors were simply excellent. Careful adherence to safety procedures with an unknown class, while not behaving in an overbearing manner. Excellent instruction, and assistance, with sling use and methods made for a truly informative class.

The class is also noteworthy for the focus on history and our Nation's founding documents and principles. A pocket copy of the Constitution of the United States was provided, as well as stories of the Revolution's opening events. Events that are far to often not known by our fellow citizens, but are critical to understand this Nation's formation and our adherence to the rifleman's creed developed 175 years later for an even more devastating war.

Based upon my experience I would recommend the Revere's Riders Basic Rifle 125 course without reservation. I have little doubt the other Revere's Riders courses are just as excellent.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    @jwamplerusa You, my friend, went home from day 1, applied what you'd learned, re-zeroed your rifle, showed up on day 2 and made a cold bore shot into a 3/4" x 1" Morgan's Shingle at 25 yards. Big ole HUZZAH!

20220508_135925.jpg

Edited to Add: That's a gorgeous old rifle!

Last edited:

gopher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    In the Prone position the scope was FAR too aft, with a soda straw view through the scope shadow.
    A scope that is too far aft is VERY common for participants at our courses.

Given that you were shooting a bolt-action, you did an EXCELLENT job of staying on target while working the action. Using a bolt-action at our Rifle 125 course is quite a disadvantage compared to a semi-auto, but you more than "hung in there".

Hope to see you at some future Revere's Riders events!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    florez30
    Top Bottom