Picked up 3 lbs of bacon from Sam's Club
    Hormel - Black Label - Thick Sliced Bacon
    DSCN1799.jpg

Used
    Samsung 30" Self-Cleaning Freestanding Electric Convection Range
    a cookie sheet
    a cooling rack for cookies
    Reynold's wrap Heavy Duty aluminum foil

Preheated the convection oven to 375 degrees or (400 degrees on bake)
    Wrapped the cookie sheet in aluminum foil
    placed the cooling rack in the cookie sheet
    added 10 strips of bacon to the rack
    DSCN1800.jpg

after doing so, I made the following maple coating in a bowl
    1 Cup Hungry Jack Syrup (I didn't have real maple syrup or I would have used that)
    2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    Stirred it up and then spooned it on each slice of bacon

DSCN1801.jpg

I baked it for approximately 20 minutes
    Turned the bacon over
    Spooned the rest of the maple mix onto the bacon
    Baked for approximately another 20 minutes

Now, most recipes tell me to bake for a total of about 30 minutes but that is NEVER enough time for my bacon. I prefer it crispy and not limp. The coating seemed to get crispier faster than the bacon but it was still fabulous.

DSCN1802.jpg

4 slices cooked faster than the others so I removed them when they got a little dark
    DSCN1803.jpg

Here's the other slices when they were finished baking to my liking
    DSCN1804.jpg

Because 10 slices already required an entire cup of basically pure sugar, I decided just to bake the rest of the slices in the oven without coating them with anything.
    DSCN1805.jpg

Now these didn't require such a long time as the coated slices did. I baked these for 12 minutes on each side. I originally did 15 on the first side and tried another 15 but that was too much.
    DSCN1806.jpg

Now, you might ask. What does 3 lbs of bacon look like finally cooked? Here's your answer. It surprised me a little. It didn't look like 3 lbs to me. I guess I should have actually weighed them on the scale to see what it actually weighed after the fact.

DSCN1807.jpg

I would most definitely buy this bacon again. It baked nicely in the oven and tastes fantastic whether you coat it or not. I think the thick sliced bacon bakes nicely in the oven. The coated bacon was a little more chewy than I like but the flavor was awesome. Those of you who like Jerky would like the texture too. It reminded me of jerky a LITTLE. It wasn't nearly that chewy but it's what it reminded me of.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    nice! I haven't candied any bacon yet but I'm sure I will this summer. I usually buy the wrights maple bacon which is damn near candied already and smoke it on the pellet smoker. people who haven't cooked bacon by baking or smoking so the it doesn't swim in the fat are missing out, it really is fantastic.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    That really looks good! I am with Tyler on cooking bacon so that it doesn't lay it its own grease. My favorite thing to use is a cast iron griddle that has big, raised ridges in it instead of a flat surface. Sometimes in good weather I like to cook breakfast outside on the grill.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Without a double blind study with in a reasonable time frame I think you results are skewed, and you need significantly more folks on your judging panel. Please contact me when you are ready to correct the errors in your scientific method and we get this reviewed correctly. Also any experiment needs to be reproduced several times, I suggest 9-12lbs of bacon. :D

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I'm surprised there is still any bacon left. I guess Scutter is just trying to make it last a few days. :-)

I may use some of it in another recipe tonight. I got my new stove on Monday and have been baking my heart out. Might even make Peanut Butter brownies tonight.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    The thing that I like about this recipe is that I don't like maple flavored bacon. I like regular old salty bacon that is dipped in syrup that has run off of a pancake or a waffle, preferably with some melted butter mixed in with it. This recipe reminds me of that.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    The thing that I like about this recipe is that I don't like maple flavored bacon. I like regular old salty bacon that is dipped in syrup that has run off of a pancake or a waffle, preferably with some melted butter mixed in with it. This recipe reminds me of that.

I also like my bacon dipped in the syrup from pancakes.. Or just poured right on top of my bacon. :-)

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    what model is the oven? I'm in the hunt for a new one, so far an LG is at the top of the list but I would love to hear what you have to say about samsung.

Top Bottom