Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    WHAT: ACT DP250 - One Hand Manipulations
    WHEN: 28MAY2016 1000 - 1400
    WHERE: Riley Conservation Club - near Terre Haute,IN
    TUITION: $85
    PREREQUISITES: A defensive handgun class such as ACT DP101AND consent of instructor
    INSTRUCTORS: Joseph Viray; John Viray; ACT staff
    AAR ACT DP250- One Hand Manipulations 5-28-16
    There werefour of us enrolled in the class and two instructors (John & Joe). One attendee arrived abouthalf way through the class. This small class size provided great feedback fromboth the instructors and fellow students.
    We had alltrained with ACT prior to this particular class but that was NOT a requirement. However, having prior handgun training was requiredas this was not an entry level class.
    We started offwith a safety briefing as is usual and a discussion about gear and how we eachtended to carry and a general type firearms discussion. This is one of the things I like about ACT classes. They engage you in conversation and don’t tryto push one style or format. They exposeyou to different options, opinions and encourage you to try them all and seewhat works best for you.
    The actualshooting started with a few warm up shots from around 7 yards and we conductedall drills from about that distance. Predominantly engaging 10” dia. steel plates but we also used an IDPAtarget for a couple of the drills.
    As with all ofthe ACT classes I have taken they start off with easier drills and increase thelevel of difficulty as the class progresses. We started off with strong hand only drawing and engaging the steel. Wedid this from both concealment and open carry. The non use hand was NOT to beused at all. No lifting cover garment,gripping magazines or the like. Everyonesubconsciously broke this rule at some point because it is just so ingrained inour nature/behavior (no problem though as fellow classmates and instructorswere happy to point it out!).
    Next wecontinued with adding in strong hand only magazine changes. Again trying different techniques.
    After stronghand we repeated what we had just performed but this time with off handonly. This is where you start to reallynotice your short comings. Holster and gear placement really factors in. I like to experiment with different set upsbut I always like to practice with how I typically carry. Having a second gun carried on the off-sidereally made a difference here. Since Ido not typically carry that way I chose to manipulate the handgun form my strongside. This is where the prior handgunhandling skills and safe operating practices really factor in. This is a skillset that is very difficult to practice just anywhere. While each of us were all trying to do ourbest it was never a race. Safety was of paramount importance. We were allencouraged to go slow in fact. Slow and deliberate seemed to work well. In fact when using weak hand only it almostforces you to slow down and be very deliberate in your actions since you areout of your fine motor skills comfort zone. Try engaging your non ambidextrous slide stop with your weak hand whencarrying on your strong side. Somethings you just do not typically practice (at least most of us anyway). This class forces you out of your comfortzone.
    My favoritepart was the malfunction drills. Weloaded some dummy rounds and had to clear the malfunction, perform magazinechanges all while re-engaging the threat, using cover and/or moving off theline of action. We were running the “Henk” drill when the fourth studentarrived. So for the first couple ofhours we almost had one on one with the instructors!
    Doublefeeds. So much to be taken away fromthis. We practiced this both strong andweak hand just like all the other drills. Stripping a jammed mag and rackingthe slide three times weak hand only takes practice. This really did test yourfine motor skills with the weak hand. Even just putting consistent shots ontarget using just one hand is not something many people practice.
    We rounded offthe day with some man on man in honor of ICP. Three shots on the steel. Primary gun loaded with two rounds. Requiring either a mag change or gun changein order to get three hits in the shortest time possible. We did this several times starting from bothstrong and weak side and adding a bit of competition stress into the mix.
    That wrappedup the class activities.
    Thankseveryone for a great class and fun experience.

For those ofyou who don’t know ACT classes take place at Riley Conservation Club (justbefore Terre Haute) which is about 90 mins from Broad Ripple/Castleton inIndianapolis. These guys are great totrain with and always leave me eager to return for more training. Some other classes coming up:
    16Jul Defensive Rifle. Combined 101/201 with some addedattractions.

20Aug Survival/Woodscraft Fundamentals

24Sep
    ***Cancel*** Defensive Shotgun. The fundamentals in the morningsession and the applications in the afternoon

15Oct Defensive Pistol. Combined DP101/201 class.

19Nov Emergency Medical Overview

3Dec DP205b Low Light Skills

ColdSteel223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Bloomington, IN

Wow, excellent AAR. The only thing I would change is the use of strong and weak hand. The word weak should not be used or enter your mind while training or practicing. Use primary and secondary etc... avoid weak.

The one hand stuff can be difficult to perform. You need to be trained properly before you practice this stuff on your own. Practice makes permanent, you MUST be doing it correctly or you will make permanent the "wrong" process. Wrong processes are a waste of time.

Fortunately you have the rest of your life to figure out if you did it correctly. That might be years or just a few seconds. Train the stuff you suck at on the range, that way on the street you will suck less than the bad guy and go home.

Last edited:

Turf Doctor

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Brownsburg
    nad63 & ColdSteel223 covered the class pretty well.

You don't know what you don't know. One hand manipulations seemed intimidating to me. I do well to use both hands much less just one. But learning how to draw from the holster with support or secondary hand can be very beneficial. First, can you even reach the gun with the other hand?, Can you reload or clear malfunctions one handed or with your support hand?
    This was a class designed to learn to use just one hand only. Great class I would recommend to anyone.

Thanks to John and Joe for having this class as well as the other participants for having a great time learning.

Turf Doctor

ColdSteel223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    I don't know why you felt intimidated, you had some of the best times on the clock. :)

This is what is about, even though he was "intimidated" he signed up "manned up" and came to learn what he did not know and how to practice it correctly.

Bravo Sir, Bravo.

nad63 & ColdSteel223 covered the class pretty well.

You don't know what you don't know. One hand manipulations seemed intimidating to me. I do well to use both hands much less just one. But learning how to draw from the holster with support or secondary hand can be very beneficial. First, can you even reach the gun with the other hand?, Can you reload or clear malfunctions one handed or with your support hand?
    This was a class designed to learn to use just one hand only. Great class I would recommend to anyone.

Thanks to John and Joe for having this class as well as the other participants for having a great time learning.

Turf Doctor

oldnovice

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not much to add. ACT always provides great material and drills in a safe manner. This was my second time taking this class. I had changed my carry setup/gear based upon the first class, and found out I still need to refine. Better to learn that in a class than somewhere else.

Top Bottom