• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    Hey folks, it's been awhile since I've posted any sort of content but here goes...

First off this rifle isn't mine. It belongs to a friend of mine who inherited it from her grandfather. I was given the task of getting it shootable again. It needed a new firing pin so after placing a small order from Numrichs and a little filing work she finally shoots 100% again.
    The backstory of the rifle starts during the depression. Her Grandfather was a farm boy who saved up all summer to buy this rifle. He used to speak of it alot when I was around and I cleaned his rifles a few years before he sadly passed away. He used to look at catalogs for the things he wanted unlike the convenience we have today with the internet. He would be all starry eyed when he'd get it out to show it off much like how I imagined he was when he was a boy when he got it.
    It was the rifle he used to put small game on the table and control the pests around the farm until one day the firing pin broke. He replaced it with a nail which milled down and made it work the best he could. Fast forward to today and the crude homemade firing pin did nothing but mangle ammo without touching off the primer. I didn't throw away the memento of her grandfather though. It will forever be housed behind the buttplate in some oil soaked cloth.

Anyways, Onto the overview!

J2iMuj3.jpg

This is a J Stevens Arms Co. Model 14 1/2 "Little Scout". These are considered boys rifles. Stevens in particular made quite a few different styles of the venerable old single shot 22 caliber weapons such as The Marksman, Favorite, and Crackshot.

QdLx78B.jpg

These are the only markings found on the gun. There is no Serial Number as it wasn't a requirement of the times. The model 14 series was produced from 1906 until 1941. IIRC most of Stevens records were destroyed in a fire which makes finding the age rather difficult. This one I've narrowed this one down to being made between 1916 and 1920 by the name of the company. Previous models were made under the name J Stevens A&T (Arms & Tool) and starting around 1921 the receivers would be marked SVG after Savage bought Stevens but the Stevens product retained the original name. Oddly enough during the time this rifle was produced they were built by New England Westinghouse for Stevens.

ZGIna5h.jpg

Most of the Stevens designs of the period operating on the principle of the Falling Block. The most notable and similar design to this would be the Remington Model 6. It is chambered in .22 Short, .22 Long, and the the more common by today's standards the .22lr. Though it is not recommended to fire higher velocity loads as this version of the mechanism isn't notoriously strong. An interesting sidenote is that it was Stevens who in 1887 created the .22lr cartridge.

UAwSndL.jpg

Comfort comes from a steel buttplate

OrAPvpa.jpg

It is also a takedown rifle. You simply unscrew the big screw head until it no longer comes out as it is a captive fine threaded machine screw and it comes apart

nMtnnWS.jpg

Just like so...

jyRmWVA.jpg

Close up of the Ejector. It is simply pushed back by a small metal nipple on the Falling Block. If youre quick with it it will also kick the empty casing clear from the rifle.

94QdZLi.jpg

Receiver guts. That protrusion on the end of the breech block is what operates the ejector.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    I only had about 50 rounds of standard velocity which were actually just Aguila Colibris. At 25 yards you could make pop cans dance which I think is pretty good for the old girl. I didn't have the area to setup a table and shoot at a bench to see how well I could group it. I still need to pull the firing pin out and heat treat it because it's starting to mushroom already. Good thing is that the hammer spring is still good I suppose.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    This is great. I also have one of these. Also inherited when my grandfather passed. The stock is a bit warped and it has a problem with the rims separating from the casings when fired quite regularly. Now that I know parts can be ordered, I am torn between rebuilding and keeping it as an original wall hanger.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Thanks for the write up and the photos. I like these guns, and have two of them. The first one was my dad's, and I can remember as a kid the firing pin wearing out, and he made another one from a nail. The main spring wore out, and he would only shoot shorts out of it, with his hand between the action and his face. He gave it to me a couple years back, and I got new springs and a firing pin for it (the nail one had worn out). After shooting it one day, I heard a rattle in the stock. Took the buttplate off and there was another home made firing pin! My dad made the holster for it when he was a Boy Scout. Says he carried it around belted to his hip when he walked around the farm in Pennsylvania.

One of my uncles gave me the second one. It was in much worse condition - missing the firing pin and the breech block lever. Stock is still cracked, trigger guard is bent, rear sight was missing and rifling was gone. Got a new firing pin and springs, used a sight from another parts gun, Numrich did not have the lever in stock so one was made from a nail (useful things!) and I had a gunsmith remove what was left of the rifling to make it a garden gun.

The rifle is still accurate at 50 yards, and I use it with the grandkids and for fun. The garden gun is great on pests, took out a chipmunk at 30 feet with Federal shot shell. The one grandgirl likes busting Daisy shatterblast targets with it. She can go thru my shotshells fast!

Sorry for the highjack!

Top Bottom