• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    Hi...anybody have any experience with A.J. Brown from Bloomfield,IN? Met him at the 1500 today looking for references before I give him a bundle of $$

Thanks

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    the man is one if not the best rifle smiths in the country. when you ask whos the best smith you get various answers but aj is always mentioned.

he has only built me one rifle but it turned out great. also i got the rifle before the date it was promised me.

my 260 and 110yd group
    003-2-1.jpg

003-2.jpg

001-2.jpg

the rifle now wears a nsx instid of the benchrest

william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    Thanks 42769vette....I hoped you would chime in. I saw you had one on another site tried to PM you, but I'm new. Would love to keep the business local if I could. Having a rifle built by him would be a big spend for me so I want to make sure I get my moneys worth.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Alan built a .223 Ackley for me a couple of years ago and it was an absolute tack driver. No worries with Alan, he absolutely knows what he is doing.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I spoke to him about glass bedding an M1A SM I have into a Mcmillan stock and he said he didn't feel comfortable doing it. I admired his openness and honesty. We talked for a good while and I learned a lot from him. I've seen several of the rifles he's built and all looked and felt very nice. I don't think you could do much better.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Thanks 42769vette....I hoped you would chime in. I saw you had one on another site tried to PM you, but I'm new. Would love to keep the business local if I could. Having a rifle built by him would be a big spend for me so I want to make sure I get my moneys worth.

on that rifle i had no budget. it was a once in a lifetime do it perfect kind of thing. i was willing to send the rifle anywhere it needed to go to get exactly the way i wanted it. after god knows how many hours of research i could not find any reason to send it somwhere else, it was a plus that he was local but if i had thought somone far away could have done just a little better i would have sent it.

the deciding factor for me was when i ask folks that have rifles built all the time "whos the best" his name was constantly the popping up. actually i decided on him then found out he was local.

i get ask often "why would you spend that much on a rifle." here is how i justify it.

"you spent 500 bucks on x rifle and scope package and will shoot it 50 times in your life. thats 10 bucks a round. i spent 5000 on a rifle and scope package and will shoot it 10,000 times in its life (obviously ill have to buy new barrels) thats 50 cents a round. my gun is cheaper"

william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    Thanks again...I am going to do it. Went back to the 1500 Sunday morning and talked to him for 45mins or so. He seems like a great guy, and if what you all say is true plus what I read after a google search it will be just what I want. Think I am going to go with a 308 since I load that already. Really want 338 or 300 win mag but I think it makes more sense to stick with a caliber I use now. Now I just have to find a used Remington 700 real cheap or try and find the $400 walmart ones he told me about and decide on the barrel/stock/suppressor/bolt/other options he gave me. Also learn to crave ramen noodles for every meal since that is what I'll have to eat every meal for the next year or so.

It will be worth it!!!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Thanks again...I am going to do it. Went back to the 1500 Sunday morning and talked to him for 45mins or so. He seems like a great guy, and if what you all say is true plus what I read after a google search it will be just what I want. Think I am going to go with a 308 since I load that already. Really want 338 or 300 win mag but I think it makes more sense to stick with a caliber I use now. Now I just have to find a used Remington 700 real cheap or try and find the $400 walmart ones he told me about and decide on the barrel/stock/suppressor/bolt/other options he gave me. Also learn to crave ramen noodles for every meal since that is what I'll have to eat every meal for the next year or so.

It will be worth it!!!

walmart in richmond had a rem 700 243 for south of 400 bucks last week. if i was building another rifle anytime in the near future i would own it

Top Bottom