• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    With all the threads on this forum about panic buying, hoarding, gouging, free enterprise, etc of late I thought I would pass on this true story from sometime late in the last millenium.

I was serving in the US Navy aboard a ballistic missile submarine (USS Henry L. Stimson, SSBN-655 if anyone is interested) and we were loading stores to go on patrol. The Supply Officer had ordered too much toilet paper (hereafter referred to as TP) which could not be returned and had run out of space to store it. Now submariners (sometimes referred to as bubbleheads) all know that space aboard a submarine is very tight and cramped. Heck, a typical coffin probably has more room in it than your rack.

So, the Supply Officer (Chop) goes to the Goat Locker and tells the Chief of the Boat (COB) about the problem who then informs the Chop that he will take care of it. The COB then sent another Chief across the passageway to the crews mess and the COB follows him there about a minute later. With several ships company present, the COB tells the other Chief to let all the other Chiefs and Officers know that there isn't enough TP to last through the patrol and to go topside to obtain as much as they needed for their personal use. Within a matter of minutes, the entire TP storage problem was magically resolved. :):

The moral of the story; Buying in a panic and hoarding is often a solution to a problem that may not be real.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    That might be the smartest thing ever accomplished by the US Navy ever, LOL. Good story. (Army guys have to poke fun when we can since we can't seem to win on the football field :()

Last edited:

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My squadron served aboard an Aircraft Carrier. I was in Naval Aviation and there wasn't much use for me on a sub. LOL

I thank you for serving aborad a Submarine. Like Marines are special men, Submariners are also special men. I salute you.

BrinNutz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    SBN
    LOL, I could see that being true.

Road a sub from Pearl Harbor to Bangor, WA once. Ten days underwater, great experience, for an aviation guy (figure that one out).

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    That might be the smartest thing ever accomplished by the US Navy ever, LOL. Good story. (Army guys have to poke fun when we can since we can't seem to win on the football field :()

It is healthy to poke fun at each other and even at ourselves at times. God gave us a sense of humor and the gift of laughter which keeps us sane.

My squadron served aboard an Aircraft Carrier. I was in Naval Aviation and there wasn't much use for me on a sub. LOL

I thank you for serving aborad a Submarine. Like Marines are special men, Submariners are also special men. I salute you.

We just flew in a different medium and much slower. One might say that we hid with pride.

LOL, I could see that being true.

Road a sub from Pearl Harbor to Bangor, WA once. Ten days underwater, great experience, for an aviation guy (figure that one out).

It is an experience just as flying in an A-4 trainer was for me. My father and father-in-law got to ride my boat for a transit from Port Canaveral to Charleston and they also had a great experience.

Thanks to all servicemen and women who have and are serving in every branch of our military.

Top Bottom