• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Superj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Florida
    I hate to say it, and lots of people won't like this, but I don't like Glocks. Don't get me wrong, they are GREAT guns, but they are just plain ugly in my eyes. When I say "cheap" I would say the lowest I would go is a Ruger P95. I don't know of another acceptable gun that is cheaper. Heck, even a Springfield EMP could be "cheap" for the right price.

Many many moons ago, I too shared your sentiment and thought that glocks were ugly with the ugliest one being the G26. I remember thinking that the subcompact glocks were silly as the grip was ridiculously small (where am I to put my pinky I chuckled). I think a part of my distaste for them was snobbery that I picked up from my little group of friends that shared a common theme of only carrying German pistols.

Anyway fast forward to today. My two favorite carry pistols are the G26 and G17.

Your post was asking about a small carry gun, so I'll stick with the 26 and not rave about the other models. I carry the 26 primarily in a pocket, sometimes on the ankle and lastly in the waist (waist carry is usually a 17 or 19). I can shoot my 26 remarkably well and even though the pinky position is not traditional, accuracy and comfort are not affected.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have never really been a fan of 9mm. Not that it is a bad round but I have always felt that 40 S&W was superior for stopping power.

Myth

I have a PF9, and it's my daily carry gun. I have no problem sticking it in my pocket if need be, though I rarely do. I personally do not want to draw from a pocket if faced with a threat. I would not want to go with anything smaller in size, in a 9mm platform. The Kel Tec is a handful, and not as near as easy to shoot compared to a full size, or even a compact. To me, controllability is more important then size or caliber. Just some food for thought. I would try before I buy, if I where you. My :twocents:

joshuametivier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Columbus
    I watched the guy next to me at the range the other day shooting a Kahr. Other than a limp wristed ftf it appeared to me that the guy was having a great time shooting it. The first thing I think about when it comes to these guns is the recoil/muzzle flip and the trigger pull. From the looks of it, there was little recoil or flip. I cant vouch for the trig pull. I have shot the ruger, and kel-tec. I would venture to say the Karh is your best choice in that department.
    Now.. with that said, it bothers me to no end when the topic of stopping power is introduced into the mix. Regardless of the facts, myths, and half truths about the energy behind any given cartridge, I feel the topic over shadows much more important aspects like shot placement, or how the cartridge profiles in relationship to recoil/flip.. Joshua

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    Myth

I have a PF9, and it's my daily carry gun. I have no problem sticking it in my pocket if need be, though I rarely do. I personally do not want to draw from a pocket if faced with a threat. I would not want to go with anything smaller in size, in a 9mm platform. The Kel Tec is a handful, and not as near as easy to shoot compared to a full size, or even a compact. To me, controllability is more important then size or caliber. Just some food for thought. I would try before I buy, if I where you. My :twocents:

I agree that the pocket is not the greatest place to draw from. For me it is the most comfortable place to carry a gun. I have found that if it is uncomfortable to carry, I won't carry it as often, like my XD. The first rule of a gun fight is to bring a gun. It doesn't matter if it is a .22 or a .50, just have one.

bman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    I have a full size jericho, really nice gun. It is heavy, about 40 oz. Magnum Research has started importing them again under the name, baby eagle 2. I consider it the best of all the cz clones.

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Fishers
    Have you thought of the Springfield Armory 1911 EMP (9mm). Kimber also makes a smaller framed 1911 in 9mm. I am currently in the market for one of the above or something similar. They might be heavier than you like, but who knows you may like it.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    I love the EMP but it is too big for pocket carry, not to mention too heavy. Unless the Kimber Solo knocks my socks off I will just continue to carry the P238 and shoot the bad guy twice.

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I agree that the pocket is not the greatest place to draw from. For me it is the most comfortable place to carry a gun. I have found that if it is uncomfortable to carry, I won't carry it as often, like my XD. The first rule of a gun fight is to bring a gun. It doesn't matter if it is a .22 or a .50, just have one.
    I'm just now seeing your original post. A couple of years ago I was in a similar place as what you described. I had an XD9sc that I loved to shoot, but I just could not get the hang of carrying the thing concealed. Tried a number of different IWB holsters and a couple of gun belts but it just never felt "right". I found that I was not carrying on too many occasions because of that and I needed to change something. I wanted to stay standardized on 9mm for reasons you stated so I went looking for a small 9 that I could try in pocket carry. I tried several including the PF9, but ended up with the PM9. I liked everything about it. I've carried it now every day for more than two years in a good leather pocket holster and rarely think about it being there. It's ALWAYS with me. Now . . .when I go for a day at the range I still take the XD and that is what I often shoot the most because I still like shooting it best, but I like the PM9 a lot too.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    The PF9 is an easy gun to carry, and isnt too bad to shoot.

As far as the larger gun, you already have an XD40, I would either get the conversion barrel, or another XD in 9mm.

Top Bottom