• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    I carried a truck load to the scrapyard to cash in. Looked in the separated metals building and found a bucket of 9mm cases. Got 4,050 cases for $18.
    So far I've tumbled them in walnut media, decaped, swagged primer pockets. Snow on the ground so I haven't polished yet. Looking at a few websites for bullets. Dang, 20 cents per bullet at most places. I found 1,000 blems for 6 cents each and ordered. Will have to keep an eye on that site since I'll need more.
    I cast bullets, gun doesn't have a problem with them. Son's guns don't like cast, only reason to search for jacketed.
    What is your go to site for cheap jacketed bullets?

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow

115 gr., 1000 bullets at .10/ea. Larger quantities more discount.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    You could also look at the HiTek coated bullets. I have not had any issues In the many thousands that I have fired.

The idea of reloadable brass going to the scrap yard pains my heart.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Watch getting brass from the scrap yard.
    While I have gotten brass (good brass) from the scrap yard, I know personally after a year or two of sorting brass I will take a bucket or 2 of scrap stuff and turn it in.
    Guess what I'm trying to say is inspect before buying

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-

115 gr., 1000 bullets at .10/ea. Larger quantities more discount.
    There are some decent deals out there. I too recently received 2000 124gr 9mm FMJ from RMR for 10.1/cpr

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    2000 124gr RN for under .9 shipped

Not a bad deal. Do you have experience with them? I have so far avoided getting the plated ones because opinions about their performance are all over the place like the plating is very thin and easy to damage which could lead to barrel fouling.

I wonder how thick the Berry's plating is? I read an article about LOS plated bullets and they sound impressive with a thick coating of copper.
    1705783879918.png
    The front cut shows that the copper plated layer is thinner, on the back cut they are with almost identical thickness.
    We also added the lathe material on the third image to show how the different technology reflects the casing. Simply the “jacket” is easier to detach, while the plating process of adding copper makes it much better attached to the lead core.

Then we go to the weight – 123gr vs 124gr (respectively 147gr vs 145gr in the heavier variant). I can’t say what’s the eventual reason behind this.

So how they differ in real world and what is preferable from the shooters?
    In my tests, they perform very similar, I actually can’t see any obvious difference.
    Velocity is very similar (even the fact their weight is slightly different), accuracy is equally good. My personal preference is the FMJ as the bullet feeder works better. But even a manual feed is easier. Also maybe the brass variant of the FMJ is leaving less barrel fouling.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I've used 1000s of them in both 9 and 45acp. No issues. Plenty more on hand as well. Makes decent cheap plinking ammo

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Used to reload almost everything but don't do anything but 44 Special/Mag now. What do you guys that do 9mm regularly figure you have in it per round?

Before the silliness I was reloading coated lead for about $0.11 assuming free brass. I shoot quite a bit so stacked components pretty deep back then. I am nearly out of reloads and need to fire the press back up again.

Now. Probably looking at $0.22 cents or more. I could have bought factory for not much more.

racegunz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2015
    Indiana
    Just ran the numbers on reloading costs per 25/50 rds. of course some components change over time but still worth the effort if you have the equipment already. I added cases to the pistol but honestly I shoot them a few times before I leave them at a match or discard. I also pick up at a match if I feel like it and it's plentiful. I was questioning if I was saving enough to keep reloading shotgun and 9mm minor but until I can't get primers again for around 60 per 1k and bullets for around .10 I'll keep at it. YMMV
    reloading.PNG

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    Used to reload almost everything but don't do anything but 44 Special/Mag now. What do you guys that do 9mm regularly figure you have in it per round?
    Before the madness, .02 per primer, .02 per powder, I cast my own bullets, the rest is labor of love. .04 per round.
    Adding jacketed bullets @ .06, .10 per round.

Top Bottom