• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Im looking to buy a 9mm carbine. I have an extra complete AR lower that I was going to build into a 300 BLK for use with my Guardian 9, but Im deciding against that for now, since I dont want to have to buy reloading dies, etc to make it affordable to shoot.

So I have a few options: I could build the lower into a 9mm, I could buy a JR Carbine (Im leaning this direction), or I could go with a different 9mm carbine. I had a Sub2k a while back, and I liked it, but I know there would be a little more work involved to get the barrel threaded.

Thoughts on the path I should take?

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I had a JR Carbine and I wasn't impressed with their quality for how much they are. After a couple thousand rounds the screws were literally falling out. I'm a big fan of the Uzi platform I have now and I will be looking for MP5 clone at Knob Creek this year. Or you could build an AR in 9mm

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    ONE of these days, if I ever have a few thousand in "fun money" (HAH!) I think I'll build a dedicated 9mm AR SBR and add a suppressor of some kind.

IF I ever have the money. :rofl:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Have and enjoy playing with an Uzi, HK94 clone, Beretta CX4 Storm, and an early Kel-tec Sub2000 with a +P+ recoil spring.

9MM carbines are so much fun!!!

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    I am a fan of the Hi Point 9mm, very fun to shoot. Heres a picture of it with a Hi Point C9 pistol.
    w001.jpg

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I had a JR Carbine and I wasn't impressed with their quality for how much they are. After a couple thousand rounds the screws were literally falling out. I'm a big fan of the Uzi platform I have now and I will be looking for MP5 clone at Knob Creek this year. Or you could build an AR in 9mm

Did you have one of the first gen ones, or one of the newer ones? From what I understand there is a difference between the newer ones and the older ones.

The more I look at it, the more I think I want to do the JR Carbine, but Im still not 100%. Im probably not going to get a Highpoint, and I have a hard time justifying paying the prices for a Sub2k, since I paid half of that just a couple years ago. MP5 and HK clones are out of my price range, so that leaves me with the JR or using my AR lower. Both will probably cost me about the same, but at least with the JR I still have my lower available.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    Did you have one of the first gen ones, or one of the newer ones? From what I understand there is a difference between the newer ones and the older ones.

The more I look at it, the more I think I want to do the JR Carbine, but Im still not 100%. Im probably not going to get a Highpoint, and I have a hard time justifying paying the prices for a Sub2k, since I paid half of that just a couple years ago. MP5 and HK clones are out of my price range, so that leaves me with the JR or using my AR lower. Both will probably cost me about the same, but at least with the JR I still have my lower available.

It was over a year ago when I had it so I'm guessing its probably a first gen. I handled the new Taurus 9mm carbine at Meeks in Haubstaut. They had 2 in stock. The gun was nice but very very plastic feeling. Also the Taurus uses specialty mags that look like modified Uzi mags and the mags are kind of pricey compared to just normal glock mags. Also I saw some HK94 clones on the net for $1094 which is only a couple hundred more then a JRC (unless thier prices have gone down, I haven't been keeping track of them).

If you wanna go a completely other route the KP31 by TNW is a really fun carbine for the money, I love mine

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county

Did you ever take it apart and clean it, or what?? I have about 1200 rounds through mine, solid as a rock.

DII_4995w.jpg

It was over a year ago when I had it so I'm guessing its probably a first gen. I handled the new Taurus 9mm carbine at Meeks in Haubstaut. They had 2 in stock. The gun was nice but very very plastic feeling. Also the Taurus uses specialty mags that look like modified Uzi mags and the mags are kind of pricey compared to just normal glock mags. Also I saw some HK94 clones on the net for $1094 which is only a couple hundred more then a JRC (unless thier prices have gone down, I haven't been keeping track of them).

If you wanna go a completely other route the KP31 by TNW is a really fun carbine for the money, I love mine

They can be bought for $600-650. JR's prices didn't go up. Only the gougers on gunbroker raised thier prices. ;)

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    Did you ever take it apart and clean it, or what?? I have about 1200 rounds through mine, solid as a rock.

Yes, I cleaned it regularly and it still fell apart. If they would have spent $10 more on the quality of the charge handling it would have been a lot better.

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    ... but at least with the JR I still have my lower available.

if you build a 9mm AR, you would still have your lower "available." In fact, if you set it up right, you could swap between a 9mm upper and a .223 (or .300blk, etc) upper with nothing more than a twist of an Allen wrench (to remove/insert the mag block)... A good way to save some $ if so inclined...

-rvb

sun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Connecticut
    I like the Ruger PC9 because it fits me well and is accurate out to 100 yards with 124 grain bullets.
    One of mine currently wears a scope and the other one has a ghost ring rear sight.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    if you build a 9mm AR, you would still have your lower "available." In fact, if you set it up right, you could swap between a 9mm upper and a .223 (or .300blk, etc) upper with nothing more than a twist of an Allen wrench (to remove/insert the mag block)... A good way to save some $ if so inclined...

-rvb

I was always under the impression that it was a PITA to deal with inserting/removing the mag block. I dont generally change things once I get them how I want them, though a 9mm AR would be nice to switch to 223 + 223 with a 22lr conversion...

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    I surprised the Beretta Cx4 is not an option. For around the price of the JRC, it's a very good gun. Probably the most reliable of the under $1000 9mm carbines.

My wife liked mine so much, now there are two in the house.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I was always under the impression that it was a PITA to deal with inserting/removing the mag block. I dont generally change things once I get them how I want them, though a 9mm AR would be nice to switch to 223 + 223 with a 22lr conversion...

Depends on the mag block I suppose. I've pretty much left mine alone, too. The couple times I did remove it for whatever reason I had no problem getting it back in and running. (Colt 1-piece drop-in).

There are some that would be a real pain, eg the 2-piece blocks that are held in w/ roll-pins. Some 3rd-party blocks may not align as well and take some tinkering, IDK. Mag choice may factor in on how tollerant the system is to the exact placement of the mag block. My setup w/ colt/metalform mags and a colt mag block has far exceeded my expectations as far as reliability.

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I surprised the Beretta Cx4 is not an option. For around the price of the JRC, it's a very good gun. Probably the most reliable of the under $1000 9mm carbines.

My wife liked mine so much, now there are two in the house.

good guns for sure. and getting one that uses cheap 92 pistol mags is a plus. I couldn't stand the ergonimics, and didn't want to master a new system/techniques, so went w/ the AR...

-rvb

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I went ahead and threw a bid on a JR Carbine on Gunbroker. Assuming I win it, it will come out to be the same price as one from Kodiak in South Bend, but it includes a 50 round drum. I always find that shipping/FFL fees pretty well balance out sales tax. Im a little nervous about it, since I should have probably gone and shot the rental at Kodiak before bidding, but I just dont have the time. Oh well, time will tell. Its not like I havent bought a gun before trying it before.

Cannon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    I have a 2nd gen jrc in 9mm. It has beat all of my expectations in about 1200 rounds or so. Almost everyone in my family has shot it and it is quite a bit of fun. I have not had one malfunction of any kind so far. There's a lot of negative reviews of them out there but I'm a satisfied customer right now. I think the CX4 is close to 2 pounds lighter though. It was a hard choice between the two, I don't have any regrets right now.

Top Bottom