• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    So, I just started reloading 9mm this past summer (for other calibers I have reloaded for years) and I've been finding that Blazer Brass in 9mm seems to be getting dumped out of my stockpile pretty quickly.

Is Blazer Brass really soft or have oversized primer pockets?

I've been using CCI No. 500 Small Pistol Primers with moderate loads of Titegroup.

Are CCI SP Primers slightly smaller in diameter than other brands' primer cups? I've often heard there are slight differences.

It seems like after three reloads or so I am tossing them aside because they prime "too easy".

Does anyone know of small pistol primers with a little larger cup diameter? Or, does anyone have a general reference for cup diameters vs. manufacturer?

Thanks,
    Karl

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    I havent measured, but I feel like my winchester primers have a better seal and fit with all the brass I load. I switched from cci a couple years ago. Never had any problems since.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I've used Winchester (overall) with good results. The only exception was a couple of pierced primers I got reloading .44 for a Marlin. I think it was the firing pin being too long as much as anything else, but I haven't pierced any other.

Winchester small pistol primers are not really plentiful in my neck of the woods. Large pistol and large rifle are easily found.

CCI's are cheapest and everywhere.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I pick up range brass so shoot all kinds and haven't noticed Blazer being any different than any other. Jim.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Yea I also just use range brass. So you never know how many times it's been shot. But u can't stand the glock bulge in my 40 brass. Never had issues with anything other then the occasional split brass from pickup. A few loose primer pockets but that has mainly been s&b.

output

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2014
    NW Indiana
    Hi Karl,

If I am not mistaken Blazer uses CCI primers and Speer bullets. That may be why they seat so well. The original cartridges are coming with them from the factory.

I have not had any issues and have have loaded and shot well over 20,000 rounds using CCI No. 500 primers. I use blazer brass and anything else I can find. I will take the blazer brass if you are going to throw it away. Unless you have noticed any problems while shooting I would not toss them. Have you examined the cases after use or are you only concerned because they seat easily?

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Mainly, I bought the Blazer Bulk pack from GM when they were on sale to get my brass collection started. I have some WWB that seems to really be long lasting.

Overall, the attrition rate is what concerned me. Every time I prime cases, I sort into a "easy prime" bucket that won't get reloaded again. The disproportionate amount of Blazer really caught my attention.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I don't reload 9mm, but I've used a lot of Blazer Brass for .357 and never had any issues. Some of it is on its 3rd or 4th loading now.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Output,

I'm pretty cheap, so I use brass until it is done. When I feel the primer being seated with no resistance or I am able to just push it in with my thumb I could not in good conscience pass it on to somebody else. I'm a brass whore myself. If I can snag it for reloading, I will. Then, it goes to scrap.

I was under the impression that Blazer started using the TMJ (Total Metal Jacket) nomenclature because they switched to plated bullets.

While belling the mouth, I've noticed that Blazer works easier than some other kinds of brass. That's what led me to think their brass was softer and the pockets were loosening sooner.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom