• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    That doesn't change the fact that they walked into that mans house without first obtaining a warrant & shot someone who wasn't wanted for or suspected of committing any crime to death within his own home.

Is it just me? or does anyone else sort of have a problem with that?

I don't have a problem with the ruling. Your posts are focusing only on the 911 call. The court said to take everything into account and that these were fact specific situations. The police received a 911 call. They tried to call back but no one answered. When they arrived the door was standing open. It was reasonable to to go inside and check things out. Whether they found nothing or they found a meth lab or they found a mentally ill dude that attacked them is irrelevant. The point of the ruling that a 911 hangup in conjunction with other facts like no answer on callback and finding an open door can be reasonable grounds for a search.

You are trying to say that if you "butt dial" 911 that the plice can come kick in your door and that is not at all what the court ruled.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    ^^^ Me neither.^^^

This was a tragic event, no doubt about it, but cannot be compared to police busting into someone house for no reason and then shooting the occupants. The officers went into this house with good intentions, on solid legal footing, and then defended themselves. RichardR, I think you are comparing apples and turnips.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    That doesn't change the fact that they walked into that mans house without first obtaining a warrant & shot someone who wasn't wanted for or suspected of committing any crime to death within his own home.

Is it just me? or does anyone else sort of have a problem with that?

Perfect storm against the guy. Unfortunate and regretable, not criminal or illegal. I don't see the circumstances of this incident as nefarious or some government power grab. YMMV.

Top Bottom