7mm rem mag as a sniper rifle any thoughts.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rocky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2009
    I feel it is one of the best calibers ever devised, has anyone else had the pinpoint accuracy and satisfaction that I have had.

Big John

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Sniper rifle???

Are you military or LEO??

As sportsman and hunters wouldn't it be better to call it a long range rifle?

As to your question I like the .308 and it has shown to be an effective round for both Military and LEO.

Please do NOT ad to the media antigun circus.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    I've got a rem 700 in 7mm mag for many of the same reasons, but target shooting. For real long range shooting and wanting to kill something .338 lapua is the weakest round I would get.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Sniper??

I have a Remington 700 in 7mm Rem. Magnum with the synthetic stock. I have shot it at 200 yds without any problems hitting a milk jug. Defiantly has the range, I have seen it used in 1000 yd bench rest shooting matches. It isn't the most popular long range cartridge, but its ballistics are comparable to the 300 Win. Mag. That said I have been working on a load with the 168 Gr. Berger bullets and RL22. Outstanding results at 100 yds. My best three shot group, all three were touching. That was just from a bipod. It defiantly doesn't kick as much as my friends 300 WSM.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Here is the target I was referring to. Should hold pretty tight out a bit farther than 100 yd.
    21blv9u.jpg

SamW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    W. Lafayette
    This whole thread makes me chuckle on so many different levels.

A milk-jug hit at 200 yards means 'it has the range?' I can hit a milk jug at 200 yards with a .22 with no wind. That doesn't make it a 'sniper rifle.'

As someone pointed out before, what exactly makes this a 'sniper' rifle for you? The 300WM is preferred because it shoots a heavier bullet = mo' dead.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    The 7mm magnum will work fine. The reason you don't see it used in long range shooting often is because the 300 win mag got there first, and there is no ballistic advantage to switching calibers.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    This whole thread makes me chuckle on so many different levels.

A milk-jug hit at 200 yards means 'it has the range?' I can hit a milk jug at 200 yards with a .22 with no wind. That doesn't make it a 'sniper rifle.'

As someone pointed out before, what exactly makes this a 'sniper' rifle for you? The 300WM is preferred because it shoots a heavier bullet = mo' dead.
    You can hit one with a .22 no doubt. My 7mm makes a spectacular explosion on it when filled with water, which was more my point. I just didn't have the time to expand on it more clearly. With a 168 gr. bullet it will take all North American game out to 500 yd. I have no doubt that it will hold an impressive group out quite far. I am looking forward to being able to stretch my rifle out past 200 yd. Still working on fine tuning the load.

Top Bottom