• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    so and so was arrested for selling art without a permit. What a bunch of ****. Our government is corrupt making more and more laws every day to imprison as many people as possible for crimes that are not actually crimes. The only thing criminal here is the governments overstepping of its bounds

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    LOL

I happen to be a cop, and a good one at that.
    If you can't handle a good whack upside the
    head to straighten up, then pull your head out
    of your ass and stop breaking the law! That
    man deserves ALL 75 years for trying to make
    us look like the "bad guy."

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    190123_192996800737829_165801456790697_428069_8142620_n.jpg

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I think that guy from Illinois won his initial court battle for the 5 charges but the prosecutor is appealing the decision. There was another thread about this very case.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    I believe when the laws were made, recorders were not common, and not the aim of the law... It is being applied years later in a manner outside the spirit of the law.

I think the better question is what is the motive behind the arrests/prosecutions.

It sure seems like he was charged as a punishment for reporting harassment.

Last edited:

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    I am still at a loss to understand why recording anyone should be illegal in the first place.

Did the recording represent what actually happened? Then who the hell should care if it was recorded with or without consent?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    I am still at a loss to understand why recording anyone should be illegal in the first place.

Did the recording represent what actually happened? Then who the hell should care if it was recorded with or without consent?

Well, wiretapping a phone conversation of individuals when neither party consents I believe is considered a form of search - or something in that ballpark. This, ofcourse, should only be applied in situations where people have an expectation of privacy....

Even the old phone booths gave some reasonable expectation of privacy... who remembers the old sliding glass doors that were meant to keep your conversation private in the middle of the street? So you see, in some instances people expect their conversations to be private, even when in a public space...

Where the benefit of this type of law breaks down is when it is used to prosecute individuals for videotaping/recording when a reasonable expectation of privacy does not exist. Public servants do not have a reasonable expectation of privacy while carrying out their duty...

In Indiana we do not have the same problem - the knowledge and consent of the individual making the recording is a party, and makes it legal from my understanding.

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    UPDATE to this story:

Judge Rejects Eavesdropping Charges for Recording Police - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

"caught a break last week when a state judge declared the charges unconstitutional. "A statute intended to prevent unwarranted intrusions into a citizen’s privacy cannot be used as a shield for public officials who cannot assert a comparable right of privacy in their public duties," wrote Circuit Court Judge David Frankland. "Such action impedes the free flow of information concerning public officials and violates the First Amendment right to gather such information."

"Judge Frankland ruled that Allison had a First Amendment right to record the police officers and court employees."

"A few days before Frankland's ruling, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit heard a First Amendment challenge to the eavesdropping statute, one of the country's strictest. Last month a Chicago jury acquitted a woman who was charged with eavesdropping after she recorded a conversation with internal affairs officers to document that they were encouraging her to drop a sexual harassment complaint. Also last month, in a case involving a Boston man charged with eavesdropping for capturing an arrest on his cell phone, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 1st Circuit said such recording is a "basic and well-established liberty safeguarded by the First Amendment."

----

IL has been one of the last states that had been getting away with charging people with felony eavesdropping for recording police. Other states (even two party ones like MA and PA) have already had state court rulings saying recording public officials (LEOS) while they are performing their duties was a constitutionally protected activity. FINALLY it looks like IL is getting their hands smacked. Hopefully lawsuits will follow.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Great update... I agree with the Judge's decision regarding public servants, however I am still confused how recording is protected under the first amendment?

Recording is freedom of speech? :n00b:

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    Great update... I agree with the Judge's decision regarding public servants, however I am still confused how recording is protected under the first amendment?

Recording is freedom of speech? :n00b:

Freedom of the press. Everyone is the "press" not just government recognized entities (for obvious reasons).

Top Bottom