• ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Relevant experience is important in developing targeted systems. Just being 'smart' doesn't mean much if you can't immediately apply it to a specific field/project. If I have to train you to understand why wouldn't I just hire someone who already knew what was important? :dunno:

SAM system operators are a good example. I could hire any EE who knew how the system worked but few who knew how the enemy would employ them.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    This is put better than I put it. There's definitely smart people enlisted. Smartest????? - I sincerely doubt it.

I don't think there's going to be a consensus as folks coming from a military background know smart people they've worked with and folks not from a military background also know smart people.
    I'd be curious to see a list of the smartest people though and whether or not they went through the military.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I believe Robert McNamara ( :spits: ) was counted among the "best and brightest". There is likely no greater proof within living memory that there is a huge difference between theory and reality, book smart and real world smart, when speaking of military conflict; and people die in that gap every day

So much depends on what kind of "smart" any given selection pressure calls for. McNamara would have been dead in five minutes on any one of the battlefields he helped create

I'm not saying a Richard Feynman wasn't a genius or should have been in uniform, I'm saying having developed the most successful bond trading algorithm really doesn't put you in the same class of smart

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I believe Robert McNamara ( :spits: ) was counted among the "best and brightest". There is likely no greater proof within living memory that there is a huge difference between theory and reality, book smart and real world smart, when speaking of military conflict; and people die in that gap every day

So much depends on what kind of "smart" any given selection pressure calls for. McNamara would have been dead in five minutes on any one of the battlefields he helped create

I'm not saying a Richard Feynman wasn't a genius or should have been in uniform, I'm saying having developed the most successful bond trading algorithm really doesn't put you in the same class of smart

Well said.

In my time in recruiting I came to realize "smart" is a useless word. I once recruited a kid who was really bright. You could look in his eyes and see he was really switched on. I would have loved to have him in my unit. But he got rejected, because he couldn't get above a 9 on the ASVAB. He was very poorly educated, but not dumb. I've got a kid in my section right now who is really "smart". He thinks philosophically, he scored well enough on his ASVAB to get a very technical job, and he is well spoken. He would forget his head if it wasn't attached. I've had to deal with him having an ND, leaving sensitive items lying about, forgetting basic regulations... He's dumber than a box of rocks, but by most standards, he is smart.

There are a host of different aptitudes, there is a matter of processing speed, problem solving, association, on and on. "Smart" is just an inadequate word.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Reading this makes me proud of raising two self supporting members of society, now in their 30s.

Yep, I could not be prouder of our 2 sons. Police officer and IT professional. We have had people tell us. You did a great job in raising those two boys.

Gunkeeper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Lebanon
    My son is 2.5 yrs in army and said that is a big problem with recruitment. My son just signed for another 4 while in Afghanistan. One reason they are paying nice bonuses for those that are currently serving.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    A good bonus for someone trained and doing the job is a LOT cheaper than training up new help. Congrats and thank your son for us.:yesway:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

Very true.

Crittersdad

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2018
    Jasonville
    [h=1]Army Basic Training to Drop Hand Grenade Competency as Graduation Requirement[/h]https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/craig-bannister/army-basic-training-drop-hand-grenade-competency-graduation-requirement

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Army Basic Training to Drop Hand Grenade Competency as Graduation Requirement

https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/craig-...and-grenade-competency-graduation-requirement

AAAAARRGGHHH!!!!!

Recruiter:"play any high school sports?"

Applicant: "no"

Recruiter:"what makes you want to join the Army?"

Applicant: "I play a lot of Call of Duty, it's pretty realistic."

Recruiter: "mhmm. Sign here"

Now the kid who never threw a baseball in his life gets a free pass into the big game. (Not that you'd throw a grenade like a baseball, but just a little bit of coordination and athleticism makes a big difference.) You should see a grenade range. Kids are so afraid of screwing up and getting tackled by an NCO, they toss it 5 yards at most. What they should be afraid of is the bomb in their hand, and get it out to the dang target. I'll bet Brad69 has some good stories about this.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I was almost killed by and idiot in HG training during basic...in the 70's. It's wrong to take it out though, people will just die in the field.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Medal of Honor Recipient James Anderson Jr..jpg

James Anderson, Jr.
    He clutched a grenade to his chest and took it, protected his mates in a Vietnam ambush.

So, what makes fitness?
    Physical strength?
    Or strength of character?

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Can you climb the rope? Can you get over the wall? Can you run the distance and still work the radio/shoot the weapon/call in the airstrike? If you can't get there or aren't smart enough to work the equipment you will never be a factor...unless you just happen to be in a position to jump on a grenade. I don't think Patton would agree with that outcome. Dying is not wining.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Kids are so afraid of screwing up and getting tackled by an NCO, they toss it 5 yards at most. What they should be afraid of is the bomb in their hand, and get it out to the dang target.

I went through the grenade range at Ft. Leonard Wood in winter and we weren't allowed to wear gloves because "safety". It's pretty nerve racking to have two little lethal devices in your completely-numb hands. I had to watch my hands to see when my fingers released.

Good times. I think. Maybe.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I went through the grenade range at Ft. Leonard Wood in winter and we weren't allowed to wear gloves because "safety". It's pretty nerve racking to have two little lethal devices in your completely-numb hands. I had to watch my hands to see when my fingers released.

I've had to work at Leonard Wood a couple times, I dont envy you having to go through basic there.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

As miserable as Benning is in summer, I'd still take that 10/10 times over doing basic in the winter. I hate being cold. Which doesn't bode well if we go to Korea, lol.

Thats classic Army, by the way. "No gloves on the grenade range." "Got it, sir. But what if we let them wear gloves at least until they draw their grenades?" "You heard me. That's how we wrote the risk assessment. No gloves on the grenade range." "Roger."

Top Bottom