• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HCRMPD1

Marksman
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Shelbyville
    As a police officer I am disturbed by all of the attention that this produces. It is not the police officers that enacted these laws. These laws were enacted by the legislators that were elected by the people complaining about the law(s).

Having said that, if I am not doing anything wrong, then I have nothing to fear. The agency I work for has audio/video equipment in our patrol vehicles. As a supervisor, I like those cameras because if an officer does something wrong the investigation and disciplinary action are done very quickly. On the other hand, if a citizen files a false complaint, a good officer's reputation need not suffer unnecessarily.

Finally, I have testified on issues concerning use of force. I often times cringe when I read a media article when the press uses terms like roughing up a suspect, or tuning up a perp, etc. The question that should be asked on use of force is: "Was the force reasonable and necessary given all the circumstances surrounding the situation".

In summary, I disagree with Boston's law (which has no bearing here in Hoosier Country); and I will with hold any criticisms of the Officers there, because they are sworn to uphold those laws that were past. As for there treatment of the suspect; that is a topic for greater discussion than can be covered here.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Good honest cops will stay good and honest regardless of the circumstances. Bad cops will begin to reflect upon another career choice as recordings become more ubiquitous.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    As a police officer I am disturbed by all of the attention that this produces. It is not the police officers that enacted these laws. These laws were enacted by the legislators that were elected by the people complaining about the law(s).

Having said that, if I am not doing anything wrong, then I have nothing to fear. The agency I work for has audio/video equipment in our patrol vehicles. As a supervisor, I like those cameras because if an officer does something wrong the investigation and disciplinary action are done very quickly. On the other hand, if a citizen files a false complaint, a good officer's reputation need not suffer unnecessarily.

Finally, I have testified on issues concerning use of force. I often times cringe when I read a media article when the press uses terms like roughing up a suspect, or tuning up a perp, etc. The question that should be asked on use of force is: "Was the force reasonable and necessary given all the circumstances surrounding the situation".

In summary, I disagree with Boston's law (which has no bearing here in Hoosier Country); and I will with hold any criticisms of the Officers there, because they are sworn to uphold those laws that were past. As for there treatment of the suspect; that is a topic for greater discussion than can be covered here.

sure the cops are just enforcing legislation that goes against common sense and the constitution..... just taking orders right? your right to an extent and i feel sorry for the decent LEOS that have to do the horrific job of enforcing laws that should never be. i mean this with all sincerity and respect, I'm sure that's an ugly thing to face everyday, and to take on the risks of enforcing many laws that just should not be. and i thank you for your service to the community.

but the truth of the matter is LEOS are entrusted with an insane amount of power over the lives of others. i think it's only fair that since they are public servants that they subjected to filming. its a good checks and balance system for all sides. it protects us the citizen as well as hopefully adding a layer of protection for the officer too in the event that claims of miss conduct are made.

i think where maybe the confusion for you in the aspect of "why people make a big deal about the cops who are just enforcing the law" is almost every article concerning the filming of police has a representative from the FOP or union decrying the taping. this gets on the citizens last nerve. maybe our anger is not targeted appropriately, but as you know.... you guys are the front line and the powers that be hide behind you.

this is a pretty big issue for the rest of us. and i think its worth the scrutiny.

respectfully

jake

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

While this is true, as selectively as most police enforce laws, the only explanation I am willing to accept as plausible for an officer using laws which were generally established for other reasons in the first place is that there is something going on which the officer in question does not wish to have recorded in a form which can later appear and considered to be evidence to either the court of public opinion or the court of law. For people who dearly love snooping into our business, they sure don't like having the shoe on the other foot. They really should remember, particularly when doing things that they don't want recorded that, first, they are sworn to uphold the Constitution and, second, we pay their salaries. They were hired as public servants, not public masters. Besides, we constantly hear infringements on our rights, particularly the Fourth Amendment justified with the stock horsesh*t that we shouldn't object if we don't have anything to hide. That street runs both ways, especially when dealing with things done in plain sight. If those losers can peek in my windows and have it considered fair, how is what they do openly in public considered privileged?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    sure the cops are just enforcing legislation that goes against common sense and the constitution..... just taking orders right? your right to an extent and i feel sorry for the decent LEOS that have to do the horrific job of enforcing laws that should never be. i mean this with all sincerity and respect, I'm sure that's an ugly thing to face everyday, and to take on the risks of enforcing many laws that just should not be. and i thank you for your service to the community.

but the truth of the matter is LEOS are entrusted with an insane amount of power of the lives of others. i think it's only fair that since they are public servants that they subjected to filming. its a good checks and balance system for all sides. it protects us the citizen as well as hopefully adding a layer of protection for the officer too in the event that claims of miss conduct are made.

i think where maybe the confusion for you in the aspect of "why people make a big deal about the cops who are just enforcing the law" is almost every article concerning the filming of police has a representative from the FOP or union decrying the taping. this gets on the citizens last nerve. maybe our anger is not targeted appropriately, but as you know.... you guys are the front line and the powers that be hide behind you.

this is a pretty big issue for the rest of us. and i think its worth the scrutiny.

respectfully

jake

Well said! I am sure that you recall how well 'just following orders' worked out at Nuremberg!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    i do remember....... thank God i'm old enough to have gotten through school before the liberals rewrote history!

jake

I am with you there! I caught a wave of teachers most of the way through who were in their last couple of years before retiring.

brutalone

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Westside Indianapolis
    I am not here to call anyone a NAZI and I have the utmost respect for the many officers I have as friends.... which over the years have included local, state, county, and a couple of Federal employees....
    That being said.... the way the officer in the video drove his squad car directly at the man with the camera..... Looks like assault to me....
    If a private citizen had done that to a uniformed officer.... their windshield would have looked like Swiss cheese...

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Did the LEO get in trouble for this?

No, but the charges were later dropped against the photographer. He is by the way a photographer for a private news agency, or at least was. His name is Philip datz.

That's right, they arrested a reporter for doing his job.

evsnova74

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Near-east Indy
    Did the LEO get in trouble for this?

No, but the charges were later dropped against the photographer. He is by the way a photographer for a private news agency, or at least was. His name is Philip datz.

That's right, they arrested a reporter for doing his job.

I think that was one of 3 cases of wrongful arrests for recording police covered in Stossel's Illegal Everything doc. Stossel claims none of them were punished but the charges were dropped.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    You have to laugh. They're arresting people for recording police officers, meanwhile corpses keep popping up in every heavily wooded area of Long Island. No leads. No suspects. No arrests.

Barney Fife, PD.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    You have to laugh. They're arresting people for recording police officers, meanwhile corpses keep popping up in every heavily wooded area of Long Island. No leads. No suspects. No arrests.

Barney Fife, PD.

you got to laugh at the hypocrisy considering that cops all have dash cams and micro phones on taping us

jake

Top Bottom